Clownfish turning white

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I tried to do research on what this disease may be but I’m left very confused.

I bought a clownfish four days ago, and didn’t QT it. They’re both mocha clowns. The smaller male is doing just fine but the female appears to be “fading” in colour. She isn’t eating either (pellets or mysis) and seems stressed based on the swimming pattern.

I cycled several tanks before, and this one in particular almost cycled for a month before I added them. Ammonia is zero.

Attaching pictures for any help. Thank you IMG_2650.png IMG_2651.png

Attachments

• IMG_2649.mov
    21.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone,

I tried to do research on what this disease may be but I’m left very confused.

I bought a clownfish four days ago, and didn’t QT it. They’re both mocha clowns. The smaller male is doing just fine but the female appears to be “fading” in colour. She isn’t eating either (pellets or mysis) and seems stressed based on the swimming pattern.

I cycled several tanks before, and this one in particular almost cycled for a month before I added them. Ammonia is zero.

Attaching pictures for any help. Thank you IMG_2650.png IMG_2651.png
I dont think this is fading but appears to be an injury either from squabble or what i believe from netting at the LFS.
I would treat it . . . . In Tank with ruby Rally Pro or in a separate treatment tank using Seachem Kanaplex OR Maracyn 2

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think this is fading but appears to be an injury either from squabble or what i believe from netting at the LFS.
I would treat it . . . . In Tank with ruby Rally Pro or in a separate treatment tank using Seachem Kanaplex OR Maracyn 2
Hey @vetteguy53081 thanks for the reply. I do notice a part of its gill coming off slightly in the second pic. Could it be brook?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply @vetteguy53081. I noticed a part of its gill is coming off, could it be brook? There’s no other symptoms, at least on day 4, and my other male clown is great. I don’t have a lot of meds right now since I’m in Canada but I found general cure. Anything else you would recommend to treat?
IMG_2653.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey @vetteguy53081 thanks for the reply. I do notice a part of its gill coming off slightly in the second pic. Could it be brook?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply @vetteguy53081. I noticed a part of its gill is coming off, could it be brook? There’s no other symptoms, at least on day 4, and my other male clown is great. I don’t have a lot of meds right now since I’m in Canada but I found general cure. Anything else you would recommend to treat?
IMG_2653.png
I still believe injury. there's additional blemish to its rear body

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 I appreciate your replies, helps a bit with the stress and knowing I should have QT.

My last question is, I’ve never ever seen a clownfish this pale. My pics/videos I added before didn’t capture it properly but hopefully this does. Could it be from the stress?

Also sorry for the formatting, I’m on my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_2657.png
    IMG_2657.png
    644.9 KB · Views: 39

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 I appreciate your replies, helps a bit with the stress and knowing I should have QT.

My last question is, I’ve never ever seen a clownfish this pale. My pics/videos I added before didn’t capture it properly but hopefully this does. Could it be from the stress?

Also sorry for the formatting, I’m on my phone.
Having a few clowns Ive seen stress which is a faded appearance- not this pronounced. Clowns have a heavy slime coat and looks like the person netting got aggressive.

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a few clowns Ive seen stress which is a faded appearance- not this pronounced. Clowns have a heavy slime coat and looks like the person netting got aggressive.
Thank you. I’ll see what meds I can get to help it. Would the slime coat grow back?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. I’ll see what meds I can get to help it. Would the slime coat grow back?
Yes. If you have access to stress coat, which contains aloe Vera, it will help restoration.

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re the best. I really appreciate all your replies. I’ll look into what you suggested to find them and hope it works out in time.
Hey @vetteguy53081 I noticed some peeling underneath the chin of the clown. Starting to worry it’s brook. Super hard to capture a pic but what do you think?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi,

IMG_2653.png
My rule out for brooklynella in this case would be that the lesion only seems to be on the fish’s right side. That is more likely a localized injury. Brooklynella is more evenly distributed over the fish,

Jay

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rule out for brooklynella in this case would be that the lesion only seems to be on the fish’s right side. That is more likely a localized injury. Brooklynella is more evenly distributed over the fish,

Jay
Hey @Jay Hemdal . Thanks for the reply. I unfortunately think it’s brook as today I noticed it’s skin peeling underneath it’s chin. It’s really hard to capture but it’s definitely skin coming off. I’m more confused as the other clown (male which is much smaller, is not showing any signs).

Attachments

• IMG_2680.png
    IMG_2680.png
    353.8 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jay Hemdal . Thanks for the reply. I unfortunately think it’s brook as today I noticed it’s skin peeling underneath it’s chin. It’s really hard to capture but it’s definitely skin coming off. I’m more confused as the other clown (male which is much smaller, is not showing any signs).
Well, if you think it is Brook, the best treatment is formalin, but that is tough to source and toxic to use in peoples homes. The next best option would be ruby reef rally pro.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That looks like a skin tag from same injury. If you wish as precautionary measure to treat for brook, Jay gave you the options

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back