Clownfish White Bump

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got these clownfish a week ago and they've both developed a white bump on their chin. Theres no other spots/ bumps anywhere else, just the one on the chin. I would appreciate some help figuring out the problem and the solutions.

IMG_3110.PNG IMG_3111.PNG IMG_3108.PNG

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got these clownfish a week ago and they've both developed a white bump on their chin. Theres no other spots/ bumps anywhere else, just the one on the chin. I would appreciate some help figuring out the problem and the solutions.

That looks like mouth fungus to me. You can Use anti-fungus meds or set up a QT and use Copper power.

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

also are the clowns the only fish you got in there? how old is that tank? and how big? thanks

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also are the clowns the only fish you got in there? how old is that tank? and how big? thanks
This is a new tank setup about two weeks ago, I had them in a qt tank previously and just put them in the main tank today. They were developing the spots in the qt tank, main tank is 25 gallon and theyre the only fish in it at the moment.

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new tank setup about two weeks ago, I had them in a qt tank previously and just put them in the main tank today. They were developing the spots in the qt tank, main tank is 25 gallon and theyre the only fish in it at the moment.
So they were developing the spots in the QT? You should of left them in there. Are you treating ur QT with anything? like copper etc @Jay Hemdal #reefsquad

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also welcome to R2R :)

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they were developing the spots in the QT? You should of left them in there. Are you treating ur QT with anything? like copper etc @Jay Hemdal #reefsquad
Yes they were developing in qt, I didnt really realize what exactly was happening until I got them under better lighting. You think I should put them back in qt and treat with copper?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are they by chance cleaning rock for eggs or pairing up.?
I have three breeder pairs that get this and it goes away until next spawning round

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three breeder pairs that get this and it goes away until next spawning round
Actually I did notice them swimming face down picking at rocks with their mouths. When I put them in the main tank I saw on of the clowns having little spasms which I believe is a sign of them pairing up I think?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually I did notice them swimming face down picking at rocks with their mouths. When I put them in the main tank I saw on of the clowns having little spasms which I believe is a sign of them pairing up I think?
Yes. Keep an eye on them or to confirm their behavior, set your cell phone at the tank and record on video for 20-30 minutes and walk away. Come cack and then watch it and see if they are indeed working on rocks, locking lips, etc

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah it could be that as well. Mine had mouth fungus and looked very similar to your clowns.

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Keep an eye on them or to confirm their behavior, set your cell phone at the tank and record on video for 20-30 minutes and walk away. Come cack and then watch it and see if they are indeed working on rocks, locking lips, etc
So since moving them into the new tank I haven’t seen them cleaning any rocks but I do know I saw them doing it many times in qt tank. Everything is brand new and I only just put in a few rocks in qt tank as I wanted them to be able to sleep on something instead of constantly falling over. I’m fairly certain the white spots only showed up after I put the rocks in as I have pics/videos of them clean before adding the rocks. Where should I go from here? Wait a bit and see if they keep cleaning rocks?

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pic from Thursday only a few days ago with no rocks

Attachments

• A14AEA95-638C-4041-BC6F-8520250943C8.jpeg
    A14AEA95-638C-4041-BC6F-8520250943C8.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 29

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just today noticed one of my clowns has this same bump on his chin. No other fish have any spots and all are eating and acting fine.

To me, it looked like an egg. That was my first reaction.

So given above, do we all think it’s from spawning/mating?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back