Clownfish with brooklynella? Ich? Over worrying? Another one with stringy poop

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1209.jpeg
I recently got a black clownfish to go with the orange one and noticed really tiny white spots on it, very hard to see which made me think it’s not ich but I have no idea what it would be otherwise. Also the orange one had some stringy poop today, should I treat with prazipro or something else. Couple soft corals, hermits, snails, and a pincushion urchin is what I have in there. IMG_1208.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pictures under blue are impossible to tell what's up. I can't - even with magnification - see anything. Don't think the poop is related. need more information - check my signature for the best questions to answer

OP
OP
I

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1211.jpeg
Not sure how to check under the signature, I did not quarantine because it’s only two fish and they came from the same place so I figured they would both need treated if one had a problem. Also I didn’t have anything to QT them in. Poop is unrelated but was wondering what other problems may cause that, I’ve dealt with a lot in freshwater and figured it’s some sort of internal parasite. This is the best picture I could get, I turned all the blue off. They act completely fine and eat well still.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding?
Mysis will cause white stringy poop that looks similar to what you’d expect in a parasitic infection.

As for the white spots, not quarantining increases the chances that you are looking at infection.
Black clowns do show mucus very easily though, so I’d keep an eye on it. If it starts to spread, you’ll likely need to treat as necessary (most likely for ich or brook).

OP
OP
I

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding hikari marine pellets. Should I go ahead and treat for ich? Anything reef safe as I have softies and inverts. More worried about the urchin. It’s possible that I could get my lfs to hold unto everything but would prefer not to do that

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an infection in the tank, it can only be treated outside in qt.
Any reef safe med is dosed at a level too low to kill ich, any higher and it would kill coral.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wouldn’t the ich still be present inside the tank?
You take the fish from the display into a separate tank. after a prescribed period - 60-76 days or so you can put fish back into display - the period with fish ensures that there should be none left

OP
OP
I

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a bunch of research I think I've decided to try polyp lab.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back