That fish was egg bound. :cool:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Maybe he took an Alka Seltzer. :cool:

But that is good news whatever it was. If she had eggs, maybe she released them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two active breeding pairs of perculas and never bloated over the last 3 years. Clownfish can definitely overeat and get bloated. A really bloated stomach will push up the swim bladder, causing balance and buoyancy problems to your clownfish. If the tummy of your clownfish looks swollen, it can be overfeeding. generally for upset digestion, you can boil a pea and let it cool. Remove the skin, crush the vegetable and feed it to your clownfish. Do this daily for 3 to 4 days until your clownfish is looking healthier.
Generally when a fish develops bloat due to bacterial infection, it’s usually a gram-negative bacteria. Keep an eye on it and see if it continues to improve.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What indicators of that are you seeing

also did you say this reef was about eight months along when you spotted problems

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What indicators of that are you seeing

also did you say this reef was about eight months along when you spotted problems
This has been a couple months since first signs on one fish, but I treated him and it seems to have come back now. 8 months ago is when the clowns were added, but tank has been up for 11 months or so now.
Signs are clamped fins on the tang and lethargic, and one clown is also lethargic

(same symptoms on the tang as before)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input, agreed per the disease forum those are concerning symptoms

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea am just a lurker on the fish disease forum (my tank is coral and inverts only, no fish). From what I can tell nobody uses the in tank additives (and gets patterned fixes) it’s got to be the full Monty you can see in the forum, fallow and qt is simply what patterns show there it isn’t what everyone uses, certainly Paul would not but I’m not sure what else to recommend other than what’s on stickies in the disease forum.

if I knew of a more repeatable or cutting edge fish control method I’d recommend it, but I don’t, what Jay does is what I recommend solely off patterns in outcomes logged in other people’s tanks.

it’s true that feeding fish better than we do, not using retail mixes but prepping food for the tanks ourselves might can raise the bar on fish retention, a going philosophy by the practiced long term reefers here is that junk food feeding aquarium fish causes diseases like when humans eat only junk food, that is worth inspecting and it may explain the rapidity of disease onset nowadays or at least an interplay in the issue.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea am just a lurker on the fish disease forum (my tank is coral and inverts only, no fish). From what I can tell nobody uses the in tank additives (and gets patterned fixes) it’s got to be the full Monty you can see in the forum, fallow and qt is simply what patterns show there it isn’t what everyone uses, certainly Paul would not but I’m not sure what else to recommend other than what’s on stickies in the disease forum.
Only experimentation I have done was ruby reef rally pro in my reef for flukes before I set up my hospital tank. Mushrooms sure didn’t like that!

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if I knew of a more repeatable or cutting edge fish control method I’d recommend it, but I don’t, what Jay does is what I recommend solely off patterns in outcomes logged in other people’s tanks.

it’s true that feeding fish better than we do, not using retail mixes but prepping food for the tanks ourselves might can raise the bar on fish retention, a going philosophy by the practiced long term reefers here is that junk food feeding aquarium fish causes diseases like when humans eat only junk food, that is worth inspecting and it may explain the rapidity of disease onset nowadays or at least an interplay in the issue.
I feed LRS (Nano and Herbivore Frenzy) and Nori

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back