Clownfish with ich, velvet, or brook?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I thought Brooklynella is a parasite? OP has a clownfish with confirmed Brook in QT right now.
“The fallow (fishless) period for starving Brook out of a Display Tank is 6 weeks.”

My thinking is that even if these other 2 fish do not have brook right now, the clown that does is in qt and was in the dt, so it would be a good precaution to fallow the tank, and not reintroduce the qt clown yet.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The fallow (fishless) period for starving Brook out of a Display Tank is 6 weeks.”

My thinking is that even if these other 2 fish do not have brook right now, the clown that does is in qt and was in the dt, so it would be a good precaution to fallow the tank, and not reintroduce the qt clown yet.
Yes. The tank needs to go fallow for 6 weeks. If ick and velvet are present then more time is required.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is NOT ich. Ich will not have 2 or 3 dots on one fish and 5 or 6 on another. Looking at size of grains, this appears to be lymphocystis which you will see these very nodules on the body and fins (most common) and is viral. It is often triggered by poor water quality , diet or both.
Brook before the dots will offer mucus around the facial area and gill along with dots and Lethargic behavior, heavy breathing and even loss of appetite.

Not good advise here, hate to say.
You will need to do a series of water changes to bring water quality up to par, as this may very well be from what I can tell a newer tank and going through chemistry changes.
What test kits are you using ?
Additionally, I will assume you are feeding flake and pellet diet. Add Mysis shrimp, small plankton, spirulina brine shrimp, LRS Fish frenzy which have fats and aminos which these fish must have and add garlic extract to those foods for immunity health.

FW dips and copper treatment at this point will merely stress the fish
If you look up older posts from @Humblefish he specifically mentions freshwater dips. He also mentions that for Brook the tank needs to go fallow for 6 weeks. But hey, what do I know. I've only been keeping reef tanks since the 80s with great success...

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper does not treat brook. It will be a formalin based medication and FALLOW not required for brook.

So you’re saying after fish died from brook in a tank we don’t need to go fallow ?

New fish can be added right away and corals are safe to transfer in another tank ?

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying after fish died from brook in a tank we don’t need to go fallow ?

New fish can be added right away and corals are safe to transfer in another tank ?
According to older posts by people who know a lot more than me YES. The tank needs to go fallow for 6 weeks to starve it out. If in fact it is Brook. If Ick OR Velvet then it will take longer. I agree that copper DOES NOT treat Brook. You need Formalin or CP (Chloroquine Phosphate). If I were you, I would ask a LFS. They might help finding you CP. I do not like to use formalin. There is some discussion that fish treated with formalin do not survive long term. Long term meaning longer than 2 years. I have never treated Brook in my 40 years keeping fish. If I encountered it, it was in the 80s when I was clueless.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to older posts by people who know a lot more than me YES. The tank needs to go fallow for 6 weeks to starve it out. If in fact it is Brook

I’m not sure I fallow. My question was : so we don’t need to fallow with brook ? You say yes but then say it needs to be six weeks…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

You want to obviously clean/siphon tank. Brook can spread but has a short span as it is a ciliate parasite with a direct life cycle . . . . It lives, feeds and reproduces directly on the fish. Once fish is removed, you Can Fallow for up to 6 weeks but with a good siphoning , you can reduce need for FALLOW.
Dont FALLOW ? I would say no. Is there a need to fallow for an extended period like velvet, , , Likely not as without a host, the cilliate will have no cycle to live on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry, I thought Brooklynella is a parasite? OP has a clownfish with confirmed Brook in QT right now.
It is a cilliate parasite that has rapid reproduction. Unlike ich, it is treated differently with formalin. They are are kidney-bean shaped microscopic parasites covered in cilia and is a different protozoan known as Brooklynella hostilis. Not the type of parasite with trophant stages as ich but classified parasite regardless so you are partially correct

OP
OP
G

gpanzare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish now has her left eye completely covered in white mucus. I've never heard of this from brooklynella and I can't seem to find it in information about lymphocystis. It must have developed in the last few hours, because when I woke up this mucus wasn't there. Is this just an immune response?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back