Clownfish with sudden lesion developing over gills

Sekiei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. My female clownfish has developed a lesion on the right hand side of her face over her gills (see pictures). I check on all the fish daily, but didn't notice until today. The edges of the gills are very visible. Other side has no lesions, but I can see the feathering of the edge of the gills there as well, which is not visible on my other clownfish.
All parameters are fine, all other fish are fine. Clownfish is behaving normally and eating, but I'm obviously quite worried about how quickly this came up.

She managed to get into the back of my aquarium (it's a all-in-one) a couple of days ago. Definitely no trauma fishing her out of there (she was just swimming in the pump chamber) and she's very good about being netted (literally swims to the surface when she sees you, easiest fish ever), but possibly some trauma when she jumped the partition to get in there? (it was over night, I didn't see it happen).
She's captive-bred, I've had her since a baby and she's about 4.5 years old.

Should I pull her and quarantine her? Any advice on treatment?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_8617.JPG IMG_8612.JPG IMG_8602.JPG IMG_8614.JPG IMG_8610.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. My female clownfish has developed a lesion on the right hand side of her face over her gills (see pictures). I check on all the fish daily, but didn't notice until today. The edges of the gills are very visible. Other side has no lesions, but I can see the feathering of the edge of the gills there as well, which is not visible on my other clownfish.
All parameters are fine, all other fish are fine. Clownfish is behaving normally and eating, but I'm obviously quite worried about how quickly this came up.

She managed to get into the back of my aquarium (it's a all-in-one) a couple of days ago. Definitely no trauma fishing her out of there (she was just swimming in the pump chamber) and she's very good about being netted (literally swims to the surface when she sees you, easiest fish ever), but possibly some trauma when she jumped the partition to get in there? (it was over night, I didn't see it happen).
She's captive-bred, I've had her since a baby and she's about 4.5 years old.

Should I pull her and quarantine her? Any advice on treatment?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_8617.JPG IMG_8612.JPG IMG_8602.JPG IMG_8614.JPG IMG_8610.JPG
Looks like a nick or injury which has developed into a bactrial issue. You should be able to treat with Ruby Rally pro which is reef safe but most effective method is to quarantine fish and treating with Maracyn 2 OR seachem Kanaplex to help it heal properly. Add aeration during treatment with an air stone

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In addition to the infection - due to trauma on the one side - I'm not sure why there would be feathering of the gills on the other side - except possibly if the other side is 'working harder' due to the damage on the right? Agree - antibiotics ASAP. Any other additions to the tank lately?

OP
OP
Sekiei

Sekiei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nick or injury which has developed into a bactrial issue. You should be able to treat with Ruby Rally pro which is reef safe but most effective method is to quarantine fish and treating with Maracyn 2 OR seachem Kanaplex to help it heal properly. Add aeration during treatment with an air stone
Thank you for the advice. I can't get antibiotics over the counter in the UK, so got in touch with the vets and got some enrofloxacin. Fish is getting her first 5 hour bath right now, then will go in quarantine tank. She's still very lively and eating well, so .

OP
OP
Sekiei

Sekiei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the infection - due to trauma on the one side - I'm not sure why there would be feathering of the gills on the other side - except possibly if the other side is 'working harder' due to the damage on the right? Agree - antibiotics ASAP. Any other additions to the tank lately?
Thank you. Started quarantine and enrofloxacin (what I could get at short notice from vets) baths. Last addition to the tank were over a month ago (12th of September), fish seem fine but I'm keeping an eye on them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Started quarantine and enrofloxacin (what I could get at short notice from vets) baths. Last addition to the tank were over a month ago (12th of September), fish seem fine but I'm keeping an eye on them.
What dose are you using?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4mg/L for 5 hour baths daily for 7 days is the plan for now.

Noga lists a 24 hour bath dose at 2.5 to 5 mg/l, with 50 to 75% water changes each day for five days. You are in the mid-dose for that, but at only 5 hours a day, so a bit light. Still, it may help. Be sure to maintain water temp and aeration during the baths.

Jay

OP
OP
Sekiei

Sekiei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noga lists a 24 hour bath dose at 2.5 to 5 mg/l, with 50 to 75% water changes each day for five days. You are in the mid-dose for that, but at only 5 hours a day, so a bit light. Still, it may help. Be sure to maintain water temp and aeration during the baths.

Jay
Thanks.
The protocol I'm using is what they highlight in the MerckVetManual (https://www.msdvetmanual.com/exotic-and-laboratory-animals/aquarium-fish/management-of-aquarium-fish) and is similar to what I've found suggested here on the forum as well: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/antibiotics.283711/ It seems like the bath approach is mostly to spare the biofilter in the QT tank, but it also allows for more accurate dosing as the bath volumes are smaller.
I'm maintaining temperature and she's got an airstone with her in the bath too.
I'll try for a few days and if it doesn't make a difference or if she gets worse, I'll go with the QT protocol instead. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks.
The protocol I'm using is what they highlight in the MerckVetManual (https://www.msdvetmanual.com/exotic-and-laboratory-animals/aquarium-fish/management-of-aquarium-fish) and is similar to what I've found suggested here on the forum as well: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/antibiotics.283711/ It seems like the bath approach is mostly to spare the biofilter in the QT tank, but it also allows for more accurate dosing as the bath volumes are smaller.
I'm maintaining temperature and she's got an airstone with her in the bath too.
I'll try for a few days and if it doesn't make a difference or if she gets worse, I'll go with the QT protocol instead. :)
I'm going to go off the board and suggest the following - that look like a significant infection - which may not have the benefit of watching it for a 'few days'. The reason I say this is there are multiple ways to mitigate waste products in a QT tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back