Clownfish with swim bladder disease cured - Helpful info

FinaticReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I just wanted to share my story in hopes that it may save other fish.

A few weeks ago I noticed one of my clownfish swimming erratically in circles near the bottom of the tank. It appeared to be swim bladder disease (negative), cause - unknown at the time. So, I moved him to our hospital tank for treatment.

I started treatment with what I had on hand; Epsom salts soaks and Kanaplex - no change in symptoms.
Then we ordered metroplex and amoxicillin. The fish went a little over a week spinning in circles and not eating. We were very worried and hoping for the best.
Once we started the metroplex and amoxicillin we started to see improvements quickly. We completed the course and our fish was cured.
Based on what was effective, I believe it was bacterial swim bladder disease.

Unfortunately, the tank dynamics changed while our fish was recovering and the other black snowflake clownfish had trouble accepting the fish back into the gang and the common clownfish was no longer tolerating him. We moved him to our coral QT tank for safety reasons and is doing just fine.
I've attached a video taken at the beginning of treatment and another video near the end of treatment.

I hope this information helps others <3

Attachments

• IMG_6141.MOV
    19.2 MB
  • IMG_6171.MOV
    8.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello reefers,

I just wanted to share my story in hopes that it may save other fish.

A few weeks ago I noticed one of my clownfish swimming erratically in circles near the bottom of the tank. It appeared to be swim bladder disease (negative), cause - unknown at the time. So, I moved him to our hospital tank for treatment.

I started treatment with what I had on hand; Epsom salts soaks and Kanaplex - no change in symptoms.
Then we ordered metroplex and amoxicillin. The fish went a little over a week spinning in circles and not eating. We were very worried and hoping for the best.
Once we started the metroplex and amoxicillin we started to see improvements quickly. We completed the course and our fish was cured.
Based on what was effective, I believe it was bacterial swim bladder disease.

Unfortunately, the tank dynamics changed while our fish was recovering and the other black snowflake clownfish had trouble accepting the fish back into the gang and the common clownfish was no longer tolerating him. We moved him to our coral QT tank for safety reasons and is doing just fine.
I've attached a video taken at the beginning of treatment and another video near the end of treatment.

I hope this information helps others <3
Not sure why the amoxicillin was used as it is used for broad range anti-bacterial action on gram-positive bacteria and so does kanaplex and fish may have been overdosed.
Great video you provided but Unfortunately, fish is moribund and while you can try to increase O2 with airstone, this fish may not make it especially with its struggles, it is unable to properly swim or eat.
Wish I had better news

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW - for others - not as a criticism of what you did - Epsom salts do not help salt water fish. It's more a freshwater treatment. Various antibiotics can help bacterial swim bladder disease. Good job

OP
OP
FinaticReef

FinaticReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the amoxicillin was used as it is used for broad range anti-bacterial action on gram-positive bacteria and so does kanaplex and fish may have been overdosed.
Great video you provided but Unfortunately, fish is moribund and while you can try to increase O2 with airstone, this fish may not make it especially with its struggles, it is unable to properly swim or eat.
Wish I had better news
Thanks for the feedback. This originally happened about a month ago. The treatment was effective. The fish is swimming normally and eating. Treating the fish was a learning process but we didn’t give up. We are happy that we were able to save our fishy friend

OP
OP
FinaticReef

FinaticReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - for others - not as a criticism of what you did - Epsom salts do not help salt water fish. It's more a freshwater treatment. Various antibiotics can help bacterial swim bladder disease. Good job
I didn’t think so, from what I read it seemed like it was more for freshwater fish but my partner insisted that we try everything to save the fish. Since it didn’t yield positive results we stopped and moved on to abx. Thank you for clarifying that for others seeking advice.

yogaman510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning @FinaticReef! I am a new reefer experiencing the same problem. My storm clown hasn't eaten for five days. She stuck to the corner of the tank for a while and then yesterday started doing backflips. Then at some point she goes down to the bottom of the tank and breathe heavily.

At first I thought there was an issue with the oxygen level, salinity or ammonia. I did a water change and added an air stone. Those weren't working. Then I searched and came across your post.

I'm curious where you got the amoxicillin and mexaprone? I'm worried I may not be able to get these in time to help her out. Have you learned anything more about what could have caused this or if there's other forms of treatment?

Here's a recent Video

Appreciate any insight as I'm really hoping I might be able to save her.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This sounds like an injury - in a new clown.. No evidence to injury - except fish generally can avoid these 'suctions' - and there is only a problem when they are sick (i.e. they get sucked up only due to sickness)

yogaman510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that makes sense. I'm hoping since I've isolated her I'll be able to at least get her eating. Then can see if there's also an injury.

@FinaticReef - what was the dosage for the medicine? And did you put it into the tank or also add it to the food when your clown started eating again?

OP
OP
FinaticReef

FinaticReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@yogaman510 I’m sorry your storm clown isn’t doing well. My partner ordered the antibiotics online from fishmoxfishflex.
Our clownfish was fine for quit a while and then the issue returned. The antibiotics will treat certain bacterial infections, if that’s what’s causing swim bladder disease. But bacterial infections can cause scarring/damage to the swim bladder. Some of it can heal to function but in some cases it can’t. In our case, once the issue returned we started treating again and then decided to contact an aquatic veterinarian. I searched through my emails and found our initial dialogue. I’m copying it into this message. Following the dialogue I will explain our phone conversation and the actions that we took:

Possible Swim Bladder Disease: Amphiprion ocellaris
Hi Dr. Gregory,
We have a captive bred black snowflake clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris (purchased as a juvenile through our LFS (PFK) from proaquatix that possibly has swim bladder disease or maybe an issue with his spine or birth defect. We wanted to see if we could setup an appointment with you to see if there are any treatment(s) to cure him or what our options are. We’re local, in Coral Springs, FL.
Here is some background information:
We purchased 3 black snowflake clownfish on 5/23/22: Larry, Curly, and Moe. Curly appeared to be the largest. We were transitioning to a larger tank (RedSea XL 525) so we put all 3 the black snowflake clownfish into the tank at the same time along with our older clownfish that we had in our previous tank. Once they established their territory, the older clownfish hosts the anemones on the left side of the tank and the black snowflake clowns host a frogspawn on the opposite side of the tank. After about 4 months (September) Curly started swimming erratically in circles and could not control himself.

Explanation of treatment: So we removed curly from the display and placed him/her in a small hospital tank (around Sept. 3rd). We tried Kanaplex (No response to tx) and then we tried metroplex and then aqua amoxicillin 500 mg. We used about 1/4 of the pill dissolved in a cup of his tank water and poured it into his tank. We saw improvements almost immediately and in about 3-4 days (Sept. 6-7th) she/he was swimming normal again. We treated him/her for a couple of weeks then returned him/her to the display on Sept. 18th. However, the dynamics of the community changed. S/he tried to go back to his friends but Curly had a hard time being accepted back by them. They began to chase and nip at Curly. We didn’t want Curly to be beat up after surviving what he went though. So we moved curly to our coral QT tank (Waterbox 15) and Curly has been living there). Curly did great in there for about 3 months. During this time Larry and Moe visibly matured and turned completely black. Curly’s face remained orange and near the holidays curly started swimming in circles again. At time it seemed like curly was positively buoyant and then negatively buoyant and went back and forth with buoyancy issues. Then curly became negatively buoyant for days. So we placed curly back in the hospital tank for another round of treatments. We tried kanaplex and then aqua abx cipro 500mg about 1/4 of the tablet for ten days. There wasn’t much change but he was still eating and had brief moments of swimming normally. So we ended up putting him back in his tank. On 1/26/23 we took him out again because he became negatively buoyant for an extended period of time. We tried cipro again. No change. We tried reef flux - no change.
Although his quality of life may be considered poor, when he sees us he uses his strength to try to swim towards up and at times, he can swim upright for a short period of time. He also uses short bursts of energy to rise to the surface to eat small pieces of krill. Because of this, we can’t bring ourselves to euthanize him. We were thinking of stitching a floatation device to him with some line and keeping him in a low flow tank to at least keep him mid water column and upright since Curly tries so hard and continues to eat. Side note- Curly’s face has developed a little more of the black coloration but his mouth and under his mouth is still orange. Also, curly is not much bigger than when we got him/her. Which leads me to wonder if he/she is maturing within his/her expected timeframe? I’ve also wondered about birth defect issues in clownfish due to inbreeding.
Needless to say, we found your info online. We would like to see if you could help us cure Curly or at least help us improve his/her quality of life. We look forward to hearing from you.

The doctor’s response:
Hi Christina Thank you for precise history. Sounds like stress related opportunistic systemic problem that may have led to permenant problems. I'm happy to direct you over the phone about options on this without fee. Call me tomorrow, Sunday, or asap when convenient for you and plan to take notes and speak for 10 around minutes. Im encouraged that you took initiative to reach out for your clownfish. Thankyou, Dr. G

We spoke over the phone the next day. He felt that our clownfish caught an opportunistic bacterial infection and the different antibiotics that we used (covering both gram - and +) treated the infection but the infection caused scarring/damage to the fishes swim bladder. He mentioned that the fish was probably a female now. The first time the issue occurred, after treatment, it just seemed to heal with time. But this second time around he said to try using E.M. Erythromycin manufactured by API. It’s broad spectrum and treats bacterial infections. We followed the directions on the package and put it in the water in our hospital tank. The hospital tank consisted of water from the tank the fish was in, a sponge filter, and I believe we also put a small air stone too. The doctor stated that the medication may not improve or cure anything but it was worth a shot. We did a couple courses of the medication. We saw some improvement.
While speaking to the doctor we also mentioned that the fish hadn’t built up a tolerance to our anemones nematocysts (stinging cells) so s/he couldn’t find comfort in an anemone. He recommended a mushroom. So when we put the fish back in our small coral QT tank I put a big green hairy mushroom in an anemone basket and had it lowered so the fish could go in and out of it but had the option to be in it and not far from the surface to reduce swimming efforts to the surface during feeding time. The fish didn’t have full buoyancy control but with the accommodations that we put in place the fish had decent quality of life, was eating, and was always happy to see us. She lived longer than one would expect but sadly passed away a few months ago. But our efforts allowed us to enjoy a lot more time with her, we know we did everything we could, and we are at peace with that.

I hope this information is helpful for you and other reefers that may be experiencing this. I hope you can save your fish. I’m sending good healing vibes your way!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back