Clownfish won't eat, behaving oddly

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm at a loss at what's wrong with my occ clown. I've had her since early March, she went through quarantine and all that, and has been happy in my display for months. A little over a month ago I noticed she wasn't eating, was acting stressed, looked a little bloated, and I thought I noticed some stringy poo (just as small bit, no super long strand). I removed her from the display into quarantine, started treating with metroplex, and fed her focus+general cure laced food for about three weeks.

She seemed fine after that, so she went back to the display, where she was super active, ate everything I put in the tank for about 5 days, when she resumed this not eating and acting odd. I waited, and two days later she was back to her old self eating like a pig like clowns do. A few days later, same thing, not eating, acting odd. So I decided to pull her again, and put her back in my QT. In the QT I started with general cure (two doses about 3 days apart with a WC before 2nd dose). She wouldn't eat the first day and half back in QT, but when she did I began feeding her food with metroplex+neoplex+focus. After eating that for about four days, she again stopped eating.

I noticed I hadn't seen any poop in the QT, so I started guessing maybe she was constipated. I added 1 tablespoon per 5g of epsom salt. That did nothing. Still wouldn't eat. I saw mention on previous posts that kanaplex can assist with constipation, so after doing another WC and running carbon yesterday I added kanaplex to the tank. Today she still will not eat.

At this point I have no idea what to do for her. She hasn't eaten for like 5-6 days. She shows no obvious outward signs of disease, but to me she appears to be breathing somewhat fast. Other than that though, no white spots, nothing that looks like brook. I can't imagine there are flukes, she's been through two courses of general cure. She mostly stays in the PVC pieces in the tank, but will come out to look at me when she sees me by the tank. However she won't eat anything I've tried. I've tried marine cuisine, TDO Chromaboost, WWC frozen food, frozen brine. These are all things she previously ate, but she has zero interest in them. I'm at a loss at what to try now.

not sure if this helps but here is a short video of her in QT

Last edited:

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some live brine if you can get it from your LFS.
Something about food that moves entices even the most finicky if fish.
Looks healthy.. sometimes fish do strange things for what seems like no reason.
Not eating for a week or even 2 isn't fatal.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately she continues to show zero interest in food. And more than that she just isn’t acting right. This was a clown who was snatching food from my melanrus wrasse and chasing down food in the current before my PJ cardinal could snatch it up. Now I can’t even entice her to look at anything she ate previously. Obviously something isn’t right internally with her but I can’t figure out what.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still not eating. She shows zero interest in any food I’ve tried. She’s been through two rounds of general cure, a round of prazipro, added Epsom salt, a round of kanaplex and briefly ate treated food while she was still eating. It’s now been well over a week since she last ate and she doesn’t look like she wants to anymore. At this point I don’t see how she makes it

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still can’t get her to eat. I’ve tried every good food I can. Nothing. I don’t see how she makes it much longer unfortunately.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm about ready to throw in the towel with this fish. She's nibbled on things here and there, but hasn't eaten anything substantial for over a month. I've tried multiple treatments and nothing has helped. She's clearly struggling.

I guess like humans fish get something that isn't a contagious, treatable disease, but something else internally that we just can't do anything about. She's never had any external signs of disease, but something clearly isn't right internally with her.

I think tonight I'm going to euthanize her, because she isn't doing well, but doesn't appear she's just going to die soon.

detran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, you could try to keep her in hypo to reduce energy consumption. Try mixing some frozen scallops, shrimp, squid, cuttlefish, mussel, octopus, nori and silverside to see she eats some. You can prepare a batch and freeze it for later consumption. Sorry to hear she is not responding well. Please do keep us inform as to how it's evolving. Best of luck with your fish mate.

Ed

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So she’s still alive. I’m totally puzzled by this fish. Some days she will eat a few things, some days she won’t. Clearly there’s something wrong with her, but she’s been through every treatment for internal and external parasites and bacteria but she’s not much better. Sometimes she swims around like her old self for a bit, most of the time she appears off breathing oddly and swimming oddly.

I was going to throw in the towel and put her down then she started eating a little again and acting a little better. It’s like she has good days and bad days it’s so odd. I don’t know at this point. It doesn’t appear she has any kind of disease I can treat, but she’s obviously not in perfect health. I just continue to feed her, let her lightly pick at the smallest morsel and then keep the tank clean.

I can’t say I’ve ever had a fish that doesn’t respond to any treatment, continues to be “off” but just keeps on living like this. I feel bad about keeping her alive, but I also feed bad about possibly putting her down.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back