Clowns being clowns

LunaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Reef peeps,

I'm fairly new to the hobby and humbled by how much I continue to learn on a daily basis. I've done an immeasurable amount of research before finally purchasing a new WB Marine X 90.3. While that tank is cycling, (photo attached) I have a 10 gallon with 2 Ocellaris and 4 LPS, 1 Torch, 2 Frog Spawn and 1 really weird Hammer (questions on that one later, lol)

Based on what I've learned, I know that Clowns can and will choose a softie to host, which in this case, mine have been sizing up this one Frog Spawn for over a week. It seems that the Frog Spawn isn't too bothered by them, but she isn't completely extended and isn't very big. I know that the potential for the clowns to damage her tissue is a concern. What are your thoughts on this? Videos attached but don't judge me yet! lol. I realize my lighting isn't up to par (literally) but the plan is that these LPS will move to my big tank soon.

Thank you for any and all tips! IMG_1072.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1066.MOV
    37.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning Reef peeps,

I'm fairly new to the hobby and humbled by how much I continue to learn on a daily basis. I've done an immeasurable amount of research before finally purchasing a new WB Marine X 90.3. While that tank is cycling, (photo attached) I have a 10 gallon with 2 Ocellaris and 4 LPS, 1 Torch, 2 Frog Spawn and 1 really weird Hammer (questions on that one later, lol)

Based on what I've learned, I know that Clowns can and will choose a softie to host, which in this case, mine have been sizing up this one Frog Spawn for over a week. It seems that the Frog Spawn isn't too bothered by them, but she isn't completely extended and isn't very big. I know that the potential for the clowns to damage her tissue is a concern. What are your thoughts on this? Videos attached but don't judge me yet! lol. I realize my lighting isn't up to par (literally) but the plan is that these LPS will move to my big tank soon.

Thank you for any and all tips! IMG_1072.jpg
Clowns will host a stick of dynamite of you give it to them. They dive into anything that offers the looks of a soft pillow LOL

OP
OP
LunaReef

LunaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem with clowns causing coral to not fully extend. Could it be a problem with how much flow it is receiving?
The overall setup isn't ideal for full extension right now but I have moved them around a little bit and this one seems ok in this flow. It had retracted a little bit when the clowns started their hovering dance but maybe I'll adjust the flow and see if that helps. I was more concerned about the the tissue but so far, she doesn't seem to mind them. I'm just curious to see what everyone else's experience has been.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know :grinning-squinting-face: The issue isn't them hosting, I just don't want them to beat her up.
Welcome to R2R!

How do you know she identifies as a “her”? :p I wouldn’t worry about the clowns doing anything to your nem.

BTW - Cape Coralite here too!

OP
OP
LunaReef

LunaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

How do you know she identifies as a “her”? :p I wouldn’t worry about the clowns doing anything to your nem.

BTW - Cape Coralite here too!
Thank you and hellooo neighbor! I don't know, I just feel like she's a her lol, also she's an LPS Euphyllia. I wouldn't be worried if she were a Nem.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and hellooo neighbor! I don't know, I just feel like she's a her lol, also she's an LPS Euphyllia. I wouldn't be worried if she were a Nem.
Oof! I totally missed the whole Frog Spawn part. Sorry about that as I apparently was excited to see someone else from the Cape!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another BTW - if Luna is the name of the pooch in your profile pic then we have that in common also as I have a pooch named Luna!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back