Clowns bullying blenny?

Faygoaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from vacation a day ago, however tonight is the first night I was able to take a good look at the tank. I have a snowflake and a percula clown, and a kamohara blenny. My blenny was laying on the heater (normal behavior for him) and I stuck my hand in to check on him. He looks half the size he did before I left (he's a pretty filled out guy). I recently moved, but he seemed fine before I left, if anything a little ticked. Are my clowns just eating all the food I put in or is this cause for more alarm? Should I set up a quarantine tank for him?

20170710_010705.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be in the best position to know if it is getting food. What do you feed? How often do you feed? I would just observe since you just got back from vacation.

OP
OP
Faygoaddict

Faygoaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be in the best position to know if it is getting food. What do you feed? How often do you feed? I would just observe since you just got back from vacation.
I feed a mix of dried brine shrimp and flakes. I watched him for a while after I put food I'm and he went for some of it

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continue to observe. If he is still losing weight he may have an internal parasite. If he maintains weight, he is fine.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the clowns breeding? I had a starry blenny and each month as my clowns would lay eggs there were constant battles between the blenny and the clowns. Eventually the blenny jumped out of the tank - and I have a lid!

OP
OP
Faygoaddict

Faygoaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continue to observe. If he is still losing weight he may have an internal parasite. If he maintains weight, he is fine.
Woke up this morning and he's just laying behind the LR.. Does not look too good. Should I go ahead and treat for an internal parasite?

OP
OP
Faygoaddict

Faygoaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the clowns breeding? I had a starry blenny and each month as my clowns would lay eggs there were constant battles between the blenny and the clowns. Eventually the blenny jumped out of the tank - and I have a lid!
I honestly got the snowflake a couple months ago, I think they've bonded but not sure if they are breeding.. how could I tell?

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly got the snowflake a couple months ago, I think they've bonded but not sure if they are breeding.. how could I tell?
You will see eggs on a rock (most likely) and the clowns guarding them, if you don't see that it is probably some other issue with your blenny - hope it recovers.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and he's just laying behind the LR.. Does not look too good. Should I go ahead and treat for an internal parasite?
Are the lights on? Is it early for them too? They can take a little bit to 'wake up'.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back