clowns died help

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of extreme mis bars a couple of months back the first on died with in weeks it got very pail in color and stoped eating then died no whit spots hole body got pail that was months ago now my other clown has died the same way after looking grate for months and I just bought a black ice I relly don't want to lose and I have other fish and thay are fine it has been si fare just my clowns and thay were bought at the same place at the same time ples help I love my fish and don't want to lose my black ice he was my Christmas present from my gf

OP
OP
Brandon Donaldson

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1451717314617.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first question anyone will ask is what are your parameters. Tank size and age. And are you using RODI for salt mixing and top off.

Zane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes stuff just happens man. I too recently bought a pair of platinums that did well for 2-3 months, and then up and died within 4 days of each other. No sickness, no signs of stress, and no other issues in the tank. There's not always an answer.

OP
OP
Brandon Donaldson

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes stuff just happens man. I too recently bought a pair of platinums that did well for 2-3 months, and then up and died within 4 days of each other. No sickness, no signs of stress, and no other issues in the tank. There's not always an answer.
thanks that's what I'm kinda thanking

OP
OP
Brandon Donaldson

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUParamus altyfilmfolks, post: 2651251, member: 37836"]The first question anyone will ask is what are your parameters. Tank size and age. And are you using RODI for salt mixing and top off.[/QUOTE
The first question anyone will ask is what are your parameters. Tank size and age. And are you using RODI for salt mixing and top off.
my Params are between 8.0 8.2 ph 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate and I did a whater Chang just cause the fish died and I like to do that when fish die just in case my salt is red sea coral pro and I use distilled water were I live you cannot buy ro and eight now I cannot afford a rodi
System my tank is a 29 gallon biocube
It is 6 going on 7 months old I run 2 eshops sump spunges chimi pure blue and purigen just built a 10 gallon sump I will be getting a bigger protenskimmer I have the biocube skimmer right now and plan on running miracle mud with mack algy

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Judging from the picture the top and tail fins look damaged. Is there anything that could of been stressing it? Were both clowns added at the same time? If not there will be period of fighting to establish rank. If your parameters are good and its not fighting I would assume the fish was sick when you got it. Possibly not anything visible and does not have to mean disease. However clown fish are a pretty hardy fish so something definitely led to its demise.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUParamus altyfilmfolks, post: 2651251, member: 37836"]The first question anyone will ask is what are your parameters. Tank size and age. And are you using RODI for salt mixing and top off.[/QUOTE
my Params are between 8.0 8.2 ph 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate and I did a whater Chang just cause the fish died and I like to do that when fish die just in case my salt is red sea coral pro and I use distilled water were I live you cannot buy ro and eight now I cannot afford a rodi
System my tank is a 29 gallon biocube
It is 6 going on 7 months old I run 2 eshops sump spunges chimi pure blue and purigen just built a 10 gallon sump I will be getting a bigger protenskimmer I have the biocube skimmer right now and plan on running miracle mud with mack algy
sounds like a good set up and a good plan going forward.
my 2 cents.
I dont like jumping to chemicals first. esp as in a new tank. chemipure and purigen can be pretty harsh i know at least on corals. (canary in a mine?) and should be added slowly(you might I dont know). And dont they both do the same thing? po stripping? so theyre double stripping? do you even need it?
I know we gotta do what we gotta do ($$) but test the distilled, you may even need to just switch brands. I had a lot of fish death and failure due to my ro source. And it was a PRO source well recommended etc.
chlorine is an oft used additive fda approved bla bla but it kills bacteria, in the tank and your gut. no bacteria no digestion, no immune system.
heres an interesting discussion, mainly on qt but it opened my eyes on fish health and food sources.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/two-methodoligies-to-keep-a-reef-tank.226995/

are you using something like Prime? its a mild bacterial booster slime coat water conditioner? Healthy bacteria and its regulation can work very well for nutrient reduction (see Randy Farley, no GFO... fuge/skimmer instead)
same principal as miracle mud and refugium.
Somtimes we take too much out and don't leave enough in.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Brandon Donaldson

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Judging from the picture the top and tail fins look damaged. Is there anything that could of been stressing it? Were both clowns added at the same time? If not there will be period of fighting to establish rank. If your parameters are good and its not fighting I would assume the fish was sick when you got it. Possibly not anything visible and does not have to mean disease. However clown fish are a pretty hardy fish so something definitely led to its demise.
just added the black ice after i lost the other clown could it be my bta i looked earlyer and it looked like it was trying to eat my black ice it was relly hard for him to swim out ?

OP
OP
Brandon Donaldson

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents.
I dont like jumping to chemicals first. esp as in a new tank. chemipure and purigen can be pretty harsh i know at least on corals. (canary in a mine?) and should be added slowly(you might I dont know). And dont they both do the same thing? po stripping? so theyre double stripping? do you even need it?
I know we gotta do what we gotta do ($$) but test the distilled, you may even need to just switch brands. I had a lot of fish death and failure due to my ro source. And it was a PRO source well recommended etc.
chlorine is an oft used additive fda approved bla bla but it kills bacteria, in the tank and your gut. no bacteria no digestion, no immune system.
heres an interesting discussion, mainly on qt but it opened my eyes on fish health and food sources.

are you using something like Prime? its a mild bacterial booster slime coat water conditioner? Healthy bacteria and its regulation can work very well for nutrient reduction (see Randy Farley, no GFO... fuge/skimmer instead)

Good luck.
Thank you yes I did not add at the same time and once I get the sup set up I plan on taking out album chimi be as the mac algy should do the striping right ?

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich doesn't show all the time specially with clownfish for they have thick slime coat. They can live by their gills which can stress the fish and kills them eventually. Do you quarantine your fish before placing them in your tank? Have you tried buying fish from other fish stores? A quick fresh water dip can help with new acquired fish before they go to your tank, not a complete replacement for qt but it helps a bit.

OP
OP
Brandon Donaldson

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich doesn't show all the time specially with clownfish for they have thick slime coat. They can live by their gills which can stress the fish and kills them eventually. Do you quarantine your fish before placing them in your tank? Have you tried buying fish from other fish stores? A quick fresh water dip can help with new acquired fish before they go to your tank, not a complete replacement for qt but it helps a bit.
No I have just tryed my luck nothing has gone bad to this point yes all the other fish are fine just throws 2 died and I bought thim from the same store witch I no longer go to the fresh whater dip how long do you do that for I did it to a copper banded butterfly along time ago but it killed it so I'm a little weary about that

OP
OP
Brandon Donaldson

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live near Houston and thay were bought at fish gallery every fish I have bought f rome thim has died I no longer go there I go to ocean life aquarium its a new store been open a year now I love all the coral and fish I have bought f rome thim are doing grate if eany body is from the houston area

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you yes I did not add at the same time and once I get the sup set up I plan on taking out album chimi be as the mac algy should do the striping right ?
yea check out mr Farley's articles on Phosphate in the aquarium and nutrient reduction.
personally I think its easier to balance. Kinda auto runs. If theres less nutrient or po the macros grow slower. if theres a lot it grows faster.
Chems pull it out and keep pulling it out regardless only slowing down as the media wears out.
He also uses bacteria to enhance nutrient reduction.

Imo many folks recommend the use of reactors without looking at the tank and what its doing and how its set up.
I dont get reactor n GFO use on a tank before its cycled.

Sorry Im not a bta clown expert.
Just my experience with nutrient reduction/water and ecosystems and seeing others problems with it. Nature works pretty good if we let it. My simplest tanks worked best. So I keep it that way. Only probs Ive had are bad water really. And over feeding.

Once I changed water my tank flourished. yea I still got probs but not many.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live near Houston and thay were bought at fish gallery every fish I have bought f rome thim has died I no longer go there I go to ocean life aquarium its a new store been open a year now I love all the coral and fish I have bought f rome thim are doing grate if eany body is from the houston area
yea check out that QT thread. Itll make you think.
I lost a coris recently. It had been in a copper wall. so adding it to a home tank was like taking a new baby to a crowed mall. Bacterially speaking.
thats prob not a word.

OP
OP
Brandon Donaldson

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents.

Good luck.
That was relly cool thanks for sharing maby I'm not as dun as I think lol

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always an answer with fish. Corals you could almost say there's no answer but not really its just harder to find it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back