Clowns Incompatible?

Fragmented Wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these guys in Quarantine for over a week, and I've watched the more submissive clown become more and more hesitant to leave certain spots in the tank. Here is a vid of what I'm talking about. He'll always be in a corner, in a tube, etc, and the moment he leaves, the other clown is all over him.

I've seen the submissive clown 'flutter' / submit too many times to count, but it only seems to stop the bullying for a few seconds. After that, it's back to business as usual, with the dominant constantly rushing and picking till the submissive finally retreats in a corner or a tube.

Is this normal? I really don't have the capability of separating these guys. They'll be done with quarantine in another week or so. Should I hope for new behavior when they are introduced to the main tank?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I’m seeing and reading appears to be normal clown behavior for the period that a hierarchy is being established and will potentially continue until the larger fish is comfortable with her dominance. The change of address may or may not fix the issue but a juvenile pair of clowns will usually (not always) work through their issues in time as they transition into female and male.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine, I would cordon off the aggressive one for a few days if the other starts to getting ripped fins.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a pair of mated Mocha Clowns the other day. They where perfectly happy together but mama seems to be re establishing her dominance in my system now as well. These fish are super cool. Little characters. The male is on guard dog mode and near wants to hop out and bite me if I get to close lol.

20200308_140324.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my male is all docile till i put my hand in the tank...then it's attach mode.:)
Yeah for sure hes pretty crazy. I can get about a foot from the rim and hes trying to jump out and get me but I think she's about to lay eggs or was about to when I picked the up.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue currently, I'm a week in, tried a 24 hour separation with a breeding net but it made no difference. Did have some success with altering the lighting between blues and whites every few hours but ultimately I've got 1 fish who looks like this sadly
IMG_20200308_181436.jpg

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it's been said, it is typical behavior of clowns establishing their dominance of one another. Mine are mated, and the female still picks on the smaller male. As long as there are no loss of fins or them locking jaws then, they typically will work it out.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back