Clowns: Nipping and Pairing

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Picasso clown and a storm cloud occ in my tank for 3 and a half months now and at night they do sleep together in a corner of my tank but during the day I will constantly watch the Picasso chase my occ around to which he/she will either vibrate or retaliate back and nip back. There are no visible damage or marks but this has been going on since they were put in the tank together. The Picasso is about 1/4 inch larger than the storm.

Any advice without removing ? I’ve researched and the nipping apparently stops after they paired up.

Attachments

• IMG_2984.mov
    25 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had my Picasso clown and a storm cloud occ in my tank for 3 and a half months now and at night they do sleep together in a corner of my tank but during the day I will constantly watch the Picasso chase my occ around to which he/she will either vibrate or retaliate back and nip back. There are no visible damage or marks but this has been going on since they were put in the tank together. The Picasso is about 1/4 inch larger than the storm.

Any advice without removing ? I’ve researched and the nipping apparently stops after they paired up.
It is what is known as clown hierarchy in which the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They protect their area take over an anemone, nesting site, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clown. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’ve never seen it flip. Only vibrate heavily and curl its caudal fin.
Does the larger one vibrate back at the little one? Usually the little one will flip and show the bigger one his belly and the bigger one vibrates back. But females also do bully males a lot, my big girl in my bigger tank likes to chase her male around a lot for no reason lol just clowns being clowns

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the smaller one shake and flip over to show the larger one the belly?
No I’ve never seen it flip. Only vibrate heavily and curl its own
Does the larger one vibrate back at the little one? Usually the little one will flip and show the bigger one his belly and the bigger one vibrates back. But females also do bully males a lot, my big girl in my bigger tank likes to chase her male around a lot for no reason lol just clowns being clowns
believe it or not I just caught a video 15 seconds ago of what typically happens. The video was a lot longer but they did this for about 15 seconds prior.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.mov
    25.1 MB

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

believe it or not I just caught a video 15 seconds ago of what typically happens. The video was a lot longer but they did this for about 15 seconds prior.
I cant see the video unfortunately

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

This is purely aggression in video

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Breeding box to the orange Picasso then for a week? Like mentioned, it’s been 3 months they have been living together in the nano.
yes, 7-10 days

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are fine honestly, looks normal bonding behavior to me. I wouldnt pull her unless she really starts doing damage to the little one

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days I think may help. Noticed a clip in orange Picasso tail right before I netted her in the A.M. hmmm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 17

bubblybubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted in a long while, but I recently got a pair of standard ocellaris clowns. The darker of the two instantly went after the other about two days in their new home. The one that was slightly smaller stayed away from the darker one for a good while, but would come by to eat (when allowed). Now, about a month later, the darker one is definitely bigger and is the one calling the shots. I haven't ever noticed any curling or rolling, but I can say for sure she is she. They won't leave eachothers side anymore.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back