Cluster Duster?

Beaudeaux7881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago we purchased some “Cluster Dusters” with a fish order.

They fell from where there were, didn’t pick them up right away and yeah I thought they had got covered by sand.

Well now I see this on the rock near where the Cluster Duster had fell.

It looks just like it, except the color of the “duster” part.‍♀️

Is this a cluster duster?

IMG_8085.jpeg

Attachments

• 23646229-4B75-4445-B53C-B05A29CB6F0D.mp4
    6.1 MB
OP
OP
Beaudeaux7881

Beaudeaux7881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago we purchased some “Cluster Dusters” with a fish order.

They fell from where there were, didn’t pick them up right away and yeah I thought they had got covered by sand.

Well now I see this on the rock near where the Cluster Duster had fell.

It looks just like it, except the color of the “duster” part.‍♀️

Is this a cluster duster?

IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8103.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8102.jpeg
    IMG_8102.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 53

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like colonial hydroids. If you can't remove the rock to scrape them off, I've had good luck with covering them with a big blob of epoxy/coral putty.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As said above it could be some sort of pest, like hydroids, but ehh, I don't know. Do you have a picture of the original cluster duster for comparison. Also, are the tube portions of the new thing hard/calcified or are they squishy.

OP
OP
Beaudeaux7881

Beaudeaux7881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above it could be some sort of pest, like hydroids, but ehh, I don't know. Do you have a picture of the original cluster duster for comparison. Also, are the tube portions of the new thing hard/calcified or are they squishy.
Going to look for a picture of the cluster, I haven’t touched it…it’s crazy because I’m almost certain it looks identical to the cluster duster but the feathery part is different.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to look for a picture of the cluster, I haven’t touched it…it’s crazy because I’m almost certain it looks identical to the cluster duster but the feathery part is different.
Yeah, it look to be partially in the sand, and in my, all be it limited, experience, having aptasia or hydroids grow out of the sand would be strange. Also, it would be pretty coincidental that you dropped a duster there and then a completely unrelated pest popped up in the same spot.

I'm no worm expert, but could the dusters "crowns" have changed due to stress, damage, or flow changes maybe?

OP
OP
Beaudeaux7881

Beaudeaux7881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it had fell off the rock the tube part looked the same color as the photo I originally posted here. Maybe I’m crazy :(

Attachments

• IMG_8110.jpeg
    IMG_8110.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Beaudeaux7881

Beaudeaux7881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it look to be partially in the sand, and in my, all be it limited, experience, having aptasia or hydroids grow out of the sand would be strange. Also, it would be pretty coincidental that you dropped a duster there and then a completely unrelated pest popped up in the same spot.

I'm no worm expert, but could the dusters "crowns" have changed due to stress, damage, or flow changes maybe?
I asked my husband to touch it to see if it stung him but he refuses lol

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some social feather dusters aka cluste duster in the wild they dont look like this they look a lot times bigger. Maybe hydroids?????

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I would just pick it up (probably should do so "safely") if it is a cluster of small hard tubes then I vote duster. . . if it is squishy and attached to the rock it's something else, probably hydroids at that point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back