Co2 Absoption media??

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a small 57 gal that has been pretty successful growing sps. I was watching BrsTv's latest video where they talk about adding co2 media to a canister feeding the skimmer air intake for higher Ph.

Brs's videos are pretty credible with very good information. I live in NY where it is pretty cold now and we usually keep most windows shut with heaters most of the day.
I havent tested my Ph lately since my tank has always been stable, but this video got me thinking.
They say with the co2 reactor media, the Ca/Alk comsumption doubled in the tank. Its hard to ignore that if it is indeed true, meaning corals growing.

Anyone nas input/experience with this being worth it?
Thanks

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a small 57 gal that has been pretty successful growing sps. I was watching BrsTv's latest video where they talk about adding co2 media to a canister feeding the skimmer air intake for higher Ph.

Brs's videos are pretty credible with very good information. I live in NY where it is pretty cold now and we usually keep most windows shut with heaters most of the day.
I havent tested my Ph lately since my tank has always been stable, but this video got me thinking.
They say with the co2 reactor media, the Ca/Alk comsumption doubled in the tank. Its hard to ignore that if it is indeed true, meaning corals growing.

Anyome nas input/experience with this being worth it?
Thanks
I added a CO2 scrubber(BRS setup) on my tank and have been very happy. I had been having difficulty with PH of my water, now it is great. I do have to change the media frequently so bought a big jug of it. Some are unhappy with the cost of the media. You can also route a line to the outside of your house that feeds the air intake of the skimmer, works just as well.

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a CO2 scrubber(BRS setup) on my tank and have been very happy. I had been having difficulty with PH of my water, now it is great. I do have to change the media frequently so bought a big jug of it. Some are unhappy with the cost of the media. You can also route a line to the outside of your house that feeds the air intake of the skimmer, works just as well.
Thanks for the input. Ive tried in the past running a line outside of my house, but the skimmer reacts differently when cold air(winter)is being fed? Trust me it sounds crazy, but when I placed the line outside, the skimmer would go nuts.

The Co2 scrubber sounds like a good idea, could you tell me how long does the media last, I mean your tank size, how much used, length of time to get exhausted?

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60G cube, with skimmer on full time. media lasted maybe a month. Some say on bigger tanks it is exhausting after two weeks. Good thing is it turns purple so easy (kinda) to tell. Mine is tucked behind the tank, so have to pull it out to look at it and then re-attach, but that is no big deal.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Anyone nas input/experience with this being worth it?
Thanks
It really makes perfect sense.

Carbonate, Bi-Carbonate and Carbonic Acid all exist in a balance in an aquarium CO3 <--> HCO3 <--> H2CO3. If you add Carbonate, it shifts the equation to the left and pH goes up (Total Alk goes up too). If you add CO2, the equation shifts right and pH goes down (Total Alk does not change).

Coral can make use of Carbonate more effectively than Bi-Carbonate so if you have a higher pH you should see more coral growth, hence more alk and calc consumption.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really makes perfect sense.

Carbonate, Bi-Carbonate and Carbonic Acid all exist in a balance in an aquarium CO3 <--> HCO3 <--> H2CO3. If you add Carbonate, it shifts the equation to the left and pH goes up (Total Alk goes up too). If you add CO2, the equation shifts right and pH goes down (Total Alk does not change).

Coral can make use of Carbonate more effectively than Bi-Carbonate so if you have a higher pH you should see more coral growth, hence more alk and calc consumption.
I do not care why it works, just that it works. Happy tank.:p:D

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me I need to get a CO2 scrubber asap! Brs sells it, I will probably get the big jug but does anyone know where could I get this maybe cheaper? I'm sure this is no secret media and is already used elsewhere?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MedVet is where I got mine. I use a T and a valve to adjust the amount of air going through the CO2 scrubber and has extended it's usefulness quite a bit.

Also, it is color changing but I don't change it out right when I see the purple to the top. I'll shake it a bit as there's still some in there unreacted fully and watch my pH from there. Once it drifts down more I change it out.

This is the link to the 5 gallon jug (~36lbs). It shows a bag but pictured below is what I got.
http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/soda-lime-5-gallon-JOR553B

I bought this 5g jug of Sodalime from Medvet July 16th 2015 and only about 3/4 through it.
20161207_071901.jpg

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MedVet is where I got mine. I use a T and a valve to adjust the amount of air going through the CO2 scrubber and has extended it's usefulness quite a bit.

Also, it is color changing but I don't change it out right when I see the purple to the top. I'll shake it a bit as there's still some in there unreacted fully and watch my pH from there. Once it drifts down more I change it out.

This is the link to the 5 gallon jug (~36lbs). It shows a bag but pictured below is what I got.
http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/soda-lime-5-gallon-JOR553B

I bought this 5g jug of Sodalime from Medvet July 16th 2015 and only about 3/4 through it.
20161207_071901.jpg
Thank you for the info, will look into this media, it does make more sense!,

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scrubber works like a dream. Was at 7.6-8. Now after 8.1-8.4!! Using lye.

IMG_5829.JPG
KOH or NaOH? That looks like its a liquid?

FWIW, soda lime is normally a combination of NaOH, KOH, CaOH and water. The Jorvet sodalime from MedVet is supposed to not have any KOH and mainly CaOH to react with CO2.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NaOH in water air bubbles through it to skimmer. Made a huge improvement to my pH levels.

KOH or NaOH? That looks like its a liquid?

FWIW, soda lime is normally a combination of NaOH, KOH, CaOH and water. The Jorvet sodalime from MedVet is supposed to not have any KOH and mainly CaOH to react with CO2.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5 gal pail from Medvet seems to be the best deal around. It weighs 42 pounds, including the pail. If you assume the pail is 2 pounds, that's only $2.43/lb shipped versus BRS which sells it for $5.55/lb shipped. The 3lb bag is not a good deal when you factor in shipping at $6.33/lb, unless you want to try a small bag to see if it works.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NaOH in water air bubbles through it to skimmer. Made a huge improvement to my pH levels.

I used that as a trap for waste hydrogen sulfide when I was using that gas at work many years OK. Principle is the same: it converted the H2S in the gas stream into S-- which stays in the water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back