Co2 Scrubber installed- WOW

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Co2 Scrubber set up over the weekend, and it's amazing to see the results of my PH with just a few days! (The red line was when I installed it). Cant wait to see the results on the coral!

Ph.png

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing but also ran the airline outside. Brought my ph up .3. From 7.9 to 8.2!! Media is a little over 3 weeks old now and hasn't depleted yet so still don't know how long it will last. I'm hoping it lasts a month or it can get expensive.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing but also ran the airline outside. Brought my ph up .3. From 7.9 to 8.2!! Media is a little over 3 weeks old now and hasn't depleted yet so still don't know how long it will last. I'm hoping it lasts a month or it can get expensive.
I'm doing a recirculatory. So it goes into my Collection cup and sucks it back into the media. I actually cant seem to get 8.3, but get around 8.25ish. Compared to barely getting above 8 before, and at night dropping down to nearly 7.8

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a recirculatory. So it goes into my Collection cup and sucks it back into the media. I actually cant seem to get 8.3, but get around 8.25ish. Compared to barely getting above 8 before, and at night dropping down to nearly 7.8
Yeah, I get 8.25 also. Never 8.3.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember to add a couple of teaspoons of RO/DI water to the reactor vessel every few days to help make the media last longer. ;)

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember to add a couple of teaspoons of RO/DI water to the reactor vessel every few days to help make the media last longer. ;)

Oh that often? Thanks for letting me know. I thought the few tablespoons lasted the life of it.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that often? Thanks for letting me know. I thought the few tablespoons lasted the life of it.
Oh No, I learned the hard way. Open the container after a few days and it will be bone dry. You have to keep the media slightly moist to make it last. I was going thru media every 1.5 weeks...OUCH!!! After I started to add a few teaspoons every couple of days it extended it to 3 weeks. Every situation is different, so how long it will extend it for you is unknown, but it will help extend it some.

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am planning on doing this too on my next build. One question. Looks like no matter what air is going through your media. Don’t people normally put the Y on the other side? So when the valve opens it bypasses the media. If it opens now just takes room air through the media instead of skimmer air. Also if the media gets wet the ph will go way up then solenoid opens and it’s still sucking from media.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on doing this too on my next build. One question. Looks like no matter what air is going through your media. Don’t people normally put the Y on the other side? So when the valve opens it bypasses the media. If it opens now just takes room air through the media instead of skimmer air. Also if the media gets wet the ph will go way up then solenoid opens and it’s still sucking from media.

The picture is kind of deceiving. The hose with the Y is going to the cap.

Last edited:

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Solenoid is supposed to go on the line going into the skimmer pump to suck in outside air cuz it is shorter distance. Program to bypass reactor at 8.3. Looks like there are many options to fix the pH

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Co2 Scrubber set up over the weekend, and it's amazing to see the results of my PH with just a few days! (The red line was when I installed it). Cant wait to see the results on the coral!

Ph.png

Great job on the scrubber!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I understood your tubing correctly, isn't this design very wasteful for the media? Looks like your Y feeds into the scrubber and takes both skimmer cup air (recirculating) or outside air (high co2) so what the system is doing is when pH is under 8.3, solenoid closes so it recirculating. This is very efficient on removing co2 and preserving the media bc effectively you are only scrubbing in-tank co2. When it goes over 8.3 it opens and you are sucking in outside high co2 air but its still going to the scrubber so you are basically relying on the inefficient method to let some co2 thru to lower ph under 3. This is both an ineffective method of lowering pH by increasing co2 (bc its still going thru scrubber) and also an expensive method bc you are burning thru the media.

I thought Solenoid is supposed to go on the line going into the skimmer pump to suck in outside air cuz it is shorter distance. Program to bypass reactor at 8.3. Looks like there are many options to fix the pH
This, by putting the solenoid on the other side, you avoid the weakness of the current design and is generally more effective. When 8.3 goes above 8.3, the solenoid will bypass scrubber so you save media and can bring down the pH much faster then it will resume recirculating .

If you are recirculating you dont need to add more water, the skimmer air is humid enough. If anything, on the skimmer to scrubber in tube, you should have a moisture capture instread bc the problem is often too much moisture going into the scrubber

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a CO2 attachment to my skimmer cup from Fish Of Hex. He custom 3D prints them for you just send in your collection cup lid. Very affordable. Goes between your lid and cup with a barbed outlet on the outside. He also includes little plugs for holes if your lid has vent holes to plug some or all. You put a hose on the barbed outlet for recirculating CO2 reactor to add moisture.
F2973358-3C39-4DE0-9447-70CAB367E3D8.png

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understood your tubing correctly, isn't this design very wasteful for the media? Looks like your Y feeds into the scrubber and takes both skimmer cup air (recirculating) or outside air (high co2) so what the system is doing is when pH is under 8.3, solenoid closes so it recirculating. This is very efficient on removing co2 and preserving the media bc effectively you are only scrubbing in-tank co2. When it goes over 8.3 it opens and you are sucking in outside high co2 air but its still going to the scrubber so you are basically relying on the inefficient method to let some co2 thru to lower ph under 3. This is both an ineffective method of lowering pH by increasing co2 (bc its still going thru scrubber) and also an expensive method bc you are burning thru the media.

This, by putting the solenoid on the other side, you avoid the weakness of the current design and is generally more effective. When 8.3 goes above 8.3, the solenoid will bypass scrubber so you save media and can bring down the pH much faster then it will resume recirculating .

If you are recirculating you dont need to add more water, the skimmer air is humid enough. If anything, on the skimmer to scrubber in tube, you should have a moisture capture instread bc the problem is often too much moisture going into the scrubber
This is my problem. Humid skimmer lid air builds too much condensation in reactor. The foam on the inside of lid in air tube blocks air making the pump work too hard and chug up and down. Water goes right through the foam as well. I just ordered a brs reactor and pre filter sponge like the picture shown in this thread. Hope it works. I also have a skimmate locker so the skimmer cup is empty. But the air tube still sucks the foam and condensation into media reactor.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a CO2 attachment to my skimmer cup from Fish Of Hex. He custom 3D prints them for you just send in your collection cup lid. Very affordable. Goes between your lid and cup with a barbed outlet on the outside. He also includes little plugs for holes if your lid has vent holes to plug some or all. You put a hose on the barbed outlet for recirculating CO2 reactor to add moisture.
F2973358-3C39-4DE0-9447-70CAB367E3D8.png

I would like to see more skimmer companies put overflow safetys like float switches in collection cup. Probably can add optional recirculating air tubes , skimmate lockers, etc… heck even design a CO2 reactor to the side

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cjeippert yeah I agree the sky’s the limit they just have to implement. I’ve seen a stock skimmer cup lid with built in compartment for scrubber media but I thought couldn’t hold much. It’s a start in the right direction.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my problem. Humid skimmer lid air builds too much condensation in reactor. The foam on the inside of lid in air tube blocks air making the pump work too hard and chug up and down. Water goes right through the foam as well. I just ordered a brs reactor and pre filter sponge like the picture shown in this thread. Hope it works. I also have a skimmate locker so the skimmer cup is empty. But the air tube still sucks the foam and condensation into media reactor.
You can do a very cheap diy moisture trap with a Mason jar or even a Chinese food soup container like me. Works like a charm

Also can do a reverse funnel on top of the skimmer cap so foam will never get sucked in

Back