CO2 Scrubber Media only lasting 1 Week

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set my scrubber up in a recirculating mode. The only thing I have not done is blocked all the holes in the skimmer lid. I have tube going in 1 whole.

My media only lasts 1 week max.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make it last longer. I was thinking of a kalk reactor instead but I did not want to spend the money

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size skimmer / tank? and size of CO2 reactor?

I change mine out once every 3 week, even then it would last longer (maybe 50% exhausted), but I change it anyway.

I do however try to make sure I have plenty of air flow and open windows when I can.

If it's only lasting a week that's a very high level of CO2, try to get some fresh air into the room at least once a day.

OP
OP
F

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 750. @ 160 Gallons of water. Skimmer rated to 250 gallons. Never have windows open in Florida. Single chamber BRS co2 scrubber

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 750. @ 160 Gallons of water. Skimmer rated to 250 gallons. Never have windows open in Florida. Single chamber BRS co2 scrubber

It‘s a fairly oversized skimmer for the tank, so it will be pulling in a lot of air.
That combined with never opening windows, I would imagine the CO2 in your room is high.

You could try getting a second chamber and linking them together, what people often do is rotate one chamber each time you change, as we never full exhaust them, so this gives more useable life out of the media, whilst still achieving the full benefit of PH bump.

The other option is to implement a recirculating system, where the air is captured from the top of the skimmer cup and pushed back through the scrubber. Typically people use a T piece, so 50% of air is fresh and 50% recirc.

I‘ve seen a few have success with this method.

Do you have an air exchange or extractor, or anything to get fresh air into the room?

You could buy yourself a small CO2 monitor, they’re pretty cheap.
This will tell you how bad it is.
Typically fresh air measures about 400, normal rooms are around 800, anything above 1000 and this will be the issue.

Indoor plant help with this.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back