CO2 scrubber or fresh air line.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently running a line from my skimmer to pull fresh air from outside. I keep the skimmer running 24/7 because if I turn it off my pH tanks down to 7.5 where it’s normally 7.8/7.9 with it on. The downside is my skimmer “overskims”.

OP
OP
adrianr514

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, pressed create before I could finish my post.

So I was thinking of doing a CO2 scrubber to get me into the 8+ range so I can run the skimmer for a shorter period and that way when it’s off it should drop to 7.7 instead of 7.5.

Would this be worth it? Do you think The scrubber would have a better effect on pH over fresh air? Discuss!

HCl+NaHO=

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not do it and find out? You couldn’t probably even try it before buying an actual reactor.

Just stick the air intake tube into a bag of media.

Tell us how it turns out.

(I’ve never heard of anyone running their skimmer intermittently)

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the fact that when you open windows and doors to let fresh air in that your PH does in fact raise? If that is the case then a scrubber would work very well and may even work better that you think. Some work so well that reefers place Y fittings inline to allow some stall air to mix in with the scrubbed air. This can be automated as well with just a few things if you already have a controller on your system.

OP
OP
adrianr514

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the fact that when you open windows and doors to let fresh air in that your PH does in fact raise? If that is the case then a scrubber would work very well and may even work better that you think. Some work so well that reefers place Y fittings inline to allow some stall air to mix in with the scrubbed air. This can be automated as well with just a few things if you already have a controller on your system.

Opening windows is not an option. Currently 100+ degree weather.

OP
OP
adrianr514

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not do it and find out? You couldn’t probably even try it before buying an actual reactor.

Just stick the air intake tube into a bag of media.

Tell us how it turns out.

(I’ve never heard of anyone running their skimmer intermittently)

I’ll definitely give that a shot.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that the fresh air line actually works, I would opt for that rather than purchasing and changing out CO2 scrubber media. This way you dont have another maintenance item to keep on top of. If you forget to change out the media in a timely manner, your ph will change. When your ph changes, your coral growth will change and when that happens, alk consumption changes. So if you had a CaRx or dosing setup, your alk would shift if you aren't on top of it when it comes to changing out the co2 scrubber media.

OP
OP
adrianr514

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that the fresh air line actually works, I would opt for that rather than purchasing and changing out CO2 scrubber media. This way you dont have another maintenance item to keep on top of. If you forget to change out the media in a timely manner, your ph will change. When your ph changes, your coral growth will change and when that happens, alk consumption changes. So if you had a CaRx or dosing setup, your alk would shift if you aren't on top of it when it comes to changing out the co2 scrubber media.

That’s why I went with the fresh air line first. Cheaper to drill a hole and run tubing out. I verified that it is pulling air from outside by covering the end which started choking the system. Being in AZ in a well insulated home Im sure the fresh air line can only do so much.

8c7a7edb9ffaf9b9ebec60fd7163d7ee.jpg

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Average co2 levels outside are around 400 or so. 100 years ago it was around 250. Levels are lowest at full photosynthesis and in the winter.

You live in a box with minimal air flow. Could be anywhere from 475-1000, depending on people, and tightness of the house. Plants in the house will help lower the levels.

Best answer I have is get a cheap co2 meter and check your inside and outside levels. This will give you actual facts on where your at. Everyone is in a different situation. Plus its a good thing to have. Anything into the 1000 range and you start getting lethargic. No where near fatal though, that comes in above 35000.

I run fresh air to my skimmer and the overflow down pipes. I know my outside varies between 375 and 415 over 24 hour period. My inside is 455 with no one home, 575 with me and the dog during the summer, 750-900 in the winter because of a ventless heater in my basement.

On a side note, a air filter with some carbon is a good idea to put inline, plus some kind of strainer on the end outside. Strainer to keep bugs out, carbon to filter out anything you may spray around the yard or smoke from grills. And while it may sound dumb, if you do run a outside line in those temps team round maybe a heater coil or small radiator for the air to run through inside the house. Will cool and thicken the air.

HCl+NaHO=

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you running lines outside for clean air

How do you know that your neighbor isn’t spraying Roundup or bug killer all over next door

How do you keep bugs from crawling into the line?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you know that your neighbor isn’t spraying Roundup or bug killer all over next door

I ran mine up into the attic instead of outside. Attic gets plenty of fresh air through the soffits and nothing too bad should get up there. My pH has increased .15 or so.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I take care of my neighbors lawn, he’s a disabled marine vet.

Carbon and screen filters to handle the rest.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine up into the attic instead of outside. Attic gets plenty of fresh air through the soffits and nothing too bad should get up there. My pH has increased .15 or so.
My attic gets hot as hell in the summer, I sweat just thinking about it. Would there be less co2 up there?

My house is 30 years old and sometimes I wonder if there's even insulation in the walls with all the drafts but the good part is my pH is solid [emoji3]

6e8f775d4c6049e9a8ec85a17753e27a.jpg

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is pretty well insulated and like you, it gets hot outside, so we keep our windows closed most of the time. I initially set up an air line to go outside in the attempt to raise PH. I had very minimal results with that... Im assuming that the air outside of my house is pretty high in CO2 concentration. I was also scared of some sort of pesticide or bug spray getting into the air and killing stuff in the tank. I then added a CO2 scrubber from BRS and have liked it greatly.

After some research I found people adding air lines out of the skimmer cup into the inlet line to the CO scrubber before circling back to the skimmer air intake. That actually has an opportunity to keep the CO2 media moist (which makes it work better) and also recirculating air with lower CO2 content, which makes the media last longer. Let me see if I can pull some pictures of my set up.

As a word of caution, you do have to make sure your skimmer cup does not overflow as getting the CO2 media wet is bad... Moist is good, wet is bad.

eed595cf25920235899c01c9109c7903.jpg

3ca827895ba3e35f84dc4d1125756237.jpg

b5921da134224dcee9a87a7a3879f1fa.jpg

3d2196e6917ddfa6bebd51af9f375f83.jpg

Last edited:

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is pretty well insulated and like you, it gets hot outside, so we keep our windows closed most of the time. I initially set up an air line to go outside in the attempt to raise PH. I had very minimal results with that... Im assuming that the air outside of my house is pretty high in CO2 concentration. I was also scared of some sort of pesticide or bug spray getting into the air and killing stuff in the tank. I then added a CO2 scrubber from BRS and have liked it greatly.

After some research I found people adding air lines out of the skimmer cup into the inlet line to the CO scrubber before circling back to the skimmer air intake. That actually has an opportunity to keep the CO2 media moist (which makes it work better) and also recirculating air with lower CO2 content, which makes the media last longer. Let me see if I can pull some pictures of my set up.

As a word of caution, you do have to make sure your skimmer cup does not overflow as getting the CO2 media wet is bad... Moist is good, wet is bad.

eed595cf25920235899c01c9109c7903.jpg

3ca827895ba3e35f84dc4d1125756237.jpg

b5921da134224dcee9a87a7a3879f1fa.jpg

3d2196e6917ddfa6bebd51af9f375f83.jpg

That’s exactly what I used to do before I plumbed my skimmer outside. That method you’re using plumbed into the skimmer is great. It keeps the media “jungle wet” and it lasts a lot longer.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I used to do before I plumbed my skimmer outside. That method you’re using plumbed into the skimmer is great. It keeps the media “jungle wet” and it lasts a lot longer.

Honestly, mine lasts me approximately 3 months or so. Granted I have a smaller skimmer, so the air pushed through it is minor, but I’d say that’s a pretty easy thing to care for. Originally I was going to add a solenoid, but at 3 months, I didn’t even bother adding that.

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fresh air good,,,,
Scrubber good..

WHAT IS location of tank ?

Near kitchen ?

Get a co2 meter,,, $40 c what baseline is in room

OP
OP
adrianr514

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh air good,,,,
Scrubber good..

WHAT IS location of tank ?

Near kitchen ?

Get a co2 meter,,, $40 c what baseline is in room

Tank is in the living room. I’ve been looking for a decent CO2 meter. All the ones I’ve found seem to be hit or miss.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back