CO2 scrubber review

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a lifereef skimmer, which has a Venturi that draws air from the skimmer cup to keep the Venturi drawing humid air (prevents clogging).

I had the idea to place my co2 scrubber in between the Venturi and skimmer cup so the humid air is pulled through the co2 media. It lasts MUCH longer than when I was pulling room aid through it.

I have a lifereef skimmer as well. I was thinking of using a Y connector and draw from the skimmer cup on one connection and the BRS co2 scrubber on the other at the same time. Hopefully this will increase the life of the media because it seems to be getting exhausted quickly. It has only been a day and most of it is light purple. I won't be able to afford it at this rate. But, it is working well. My PH topped out at 8.45 today at 9 dKH.

Last edited:

Chris Bark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking into adding an algae scrubber too. Look like chaeto doesnt serve me well. Maybe combo with marinepure to top it off. thanks for sharing

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been itching to pull the trigger on this for a while, but lacked an idea to buy the media. At this price point it seems realistic - but how long do you anticipate the 5g bucket lasting based on current usage?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to do the same CO2 scrubber method soon.
Can you share with me where you ordered your solenoid and y adapter? How about the code for apex to turn solenoid on and off?

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to do the same CO2 scrubber method soon.
Can you share with me where you ordered your solenoid and y adapter? How about the code for apex to turn solenoid on and off?

AC version:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#5489t491/=16x9ch9

DC version:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#5489t493/=16x9f57

I would get the DC version and buy a 24V 2A DC adapter. Otherwise I'd be more worried about it near water.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozone-resistant-kynar-y.html

The apex code should turn the outlet ON (because the solenoid opens when energized) at a certain PH e.g. if Ph > 8.3 then ON

Last edited:

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm aware of. Only negative that I can think of is the skimmer has to work harder to pull air bubbles through the water so it probably could decrease performance.

That's probably why the media is lasting longer. Reduced airflow from attaching the cup tube to the scrubber input.

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably why the media is lasting longer. Reduced airflow from attaching the cup tube to the scrubber input.

Sodassorb HP like most sorbs needs humidity to work efficiently like in a rebreather. I asked earlier about moisture/wetness, if too much wetness would impact performance. Likely no like Velcro said, but Coral nerd did have mold grow.
However, I'm sure like you mentioned airflow levels are impacted... but probably minimal.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took my skimmers silencer off and have had a much better suction and ph is way up [emoji651] [emoji683]

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been itching to pull the trigger on this for a while, but lacked an idea to buy the media. At this price point it seems realistic - but how long do you anticipate the 5g bucket lasting based on current usage?

Good question, I'm trying to figure that out also... so I thinking on the order of 1 year at this pace until I get the solenoid installed. After plugging into the cup, I have noticed a difference in darker solid color change and less usage. My swings in pH are 8.21 to 8.43 and hope to minimize swings with the solenoid at 8.2 to 8.3. My air draw on my SRO 6000sss is about 74 SCFH. I'm sure smaller skimmers will use less media. Your results will vary, but 5 gal bucket of Sodasorb HP is a lot of media!
I wish I could drill a hole to the outside world, but with my setup it's just no practical.

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC version:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#5489t491/=16x9ch9

DC version:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#5489t493/=16x9f57

I would get the DC version and buy a 24V 2A DC adapter. Otherwise I'd be more worried about it near water.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozone-resistant-kynar-y.html

The apex code should turn the outlet ON (because the solenoid opens when energized) at a certain PH e.g. if Ph > 8.3 then ON

I didn't even know they had a DC version. Live and learn.
My "Y" adapter is coming tomorrow. Can't wait to get the solenoid on.

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even know they had a DC version. Live and learn.
My "Y" adapter is coming tomorrow. Can't wait to get the solenoid on.

Yeah, their site is confusing because there's so many different listings when you search for the part#. You could always get a second and control both air inputs :)

Since I mainly want to increase the life of the media, I will try just a plain Y adapter and have one input from the scrubber and one from the skimmer cup and see if that helps while sacrificing higher PH. I also use kalkwasser so I'm less concerned with a PH lower than 8.45 during the day.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, I'm trying to figure that out also... so I thinking on the order of 1 year at this pace until I get the solenoid installed. After plugging into the cup, I have noticed a difference in darker solid color change and less usage. My swings in pH are 8.21 to 8.43 and hope to minimize swings with the solenoid at 8.2 to 8.3. My air draw on my SRO 6000sss is about 74 SCFH. I'm sure smaller skimmers will use less media. Your results will vary, but 5 gal bucket of Sodasorb HP is a lot of media!
I wish I could drill a hole to the outside world, but with my setup it's just no practical.

I plan on doing the scrubber on a solenoid but in conjunction with outside air. Hopefully that will enable me to use less media.

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing the scrubber on a solenoid but in conjunction with outside air. Hopefully that will enable me to use less media.

You going to bypass scrubber with two Y adapters or something?

Last edited:

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try just the Y adapter first and see how long it lasts.

There will be wye involved regardless.

The solenoid (always open type) will be on the side of the wye without the scrubber where the air will always take the path of least resistance and be drawn through the non-scrubber tubing.

When the pH dips below, say, 8.2, the solenoid will close, requiring air to be draw through the other side of the wye (with the scrubber) until the pH rises to 8.3.

Having both lines draw air from outside, though, will theoretically conserve media by requiring less CO2 to be scrubbed/absorbed.

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The solenoid (always open type) will be on the side of the wye without the scrubber where the air will always take the path of least resistance and be drawn through the non-scrubber tubing.

When the pH dips below, say, 8.2, the solenoid will close, requiring air to be draw through the other side of the wye (with the scrubber) until the pH rises to 8.3.

Having both lines draw air from outside, though, will theoretically conserve media by requiring less CO2 to be scrubbed/absorbed.

So you need another Y to connect both tubes to the skimmer intake I'm assuming?

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need another Y to connect both tubes to the skimmer intake I'm assuming?

Just one Y. one straight outside, and one to the scrubber then to outside.

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would try a pH test with your tank water bubbled with outside air compared to inside tank. See if that improves your pH and run outside air only. You might be able to skip the media entirely.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year isn't bad I always assumed it would be a couple of months. When you say "plugging into the cup" what do you mean?

I have been thinking of doing this for a while now as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back