CO2 scrubber review

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my experience with my CO2 scrubber I installed 3 days ago. Nothing but impressive. My average ph was between 7.8-8.0 max. I've tried opening windows, running tubing outside, soda ash, have a decent sized refugium, and some kalk without sustained results.
I pulled the trigger and got a brs scrubber and did research on medical grade vs. diver grade. My decision was to use Sodasorb HP, best price i could find was from amron. It took a few hours for me to seem improvement as the pH climbed. I was only expecting 8.0-8.2. To my surprise it was around 8.2-8.4.

ApexCO2.jpg

After about 3 days, the media is about 1/3 light purple. I was expecting the color change to be darker but I'll observe over time if it gets darker and continue to monitor pH.

BRSCO2.jpg

So far I'm pleased with the results. My alk went from 8.6 to 7.8 and calcium from 430 to 410 in 2 days.
Hope this helps others curious about using one. Too early for me to tell if coral growth is improved. Some of my sps and lps show signs of improved PE, but this may be anecdotal.

If you have one what is your experience so far and how long have you had it?

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wet the filter at the bottom of the reactor, not the media, just a teaspoon of water on the filter, it will really extend the life of your media.

Thanks, when I looked up the brs instructions they listed 1 tbsp, when I called they told me personally to use 2 tbsp and when I look around google some people use 1 tsp like you mention. Good area of discussion. I started with 1 tbsp on the next change out. I have 40lbs to play with :)

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed black mold when I was adding a teaspoon of water so I stopped the water addition.

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water in mine dries up within 2 days max. I was going to set up a 2nd container just to hold water.
The co2 scrubber is an excellent addition.

Hmm... That's a great idea! I'm gonna try it with another reactor laying around

I noticed black mold when I was adding a teaspoon of water so I stopped the water addition.

I'm guessing this wasn't RO/DI water? Maybe even a contaminant in the reactor or media?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... That's a great idea! I'm gonna try it with another reactor laying around

I'm guessing this wasn't RO/DI water? Maybe even a contaminant in the reactor or media?
running 2 containers in series is great. When one runs out of media, just take it offline, refill and put it back in place

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true, they are in the air and water we drink.

If you don't mind me asking
How much did 40 pounds of media cost ?
Trying to figure out if this would be affordable to maintain as a permanent fixture on a large reef

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my experience with my CO2 scrubber I installed 3 days ago. Nothing but impressive. My average ph was between 7.8-8.0 max. I've tried opening windows, running tubing outside, soda ash, have a decent sized refugium, and some kalk without sustained results.
I pulled the trigger and got a brs scrubber and did research on medical grade vs. diver grade. My decision was to use Sodasorb HP, best price i could find was from amron. It took a few hours for me to seem improvement as the pH climbed. I was only expecting 8.0-8.2. To my surprise it was around 8.2-8.4.

ApexCO2.jpg

After about 3 days, the media is about 1/3 light purple. I was expecting the color change to be darker but I'll observe over time if it gets darker and continue to monitor pH.

BRSCO2.jpg

So far I'm pleased with the results. My alk went from 8.6 to 7.8 and calcium from 430 to 410 in 2 days.
Hope this helps others curious about using one. Too early for me to tell if coral growth is improved. Some of my sps and lps show signs of improved PE, but this may be anecdotal.

If you have one what is your experience so far and how long have you had it?
I recently add one as well. Great results. Went from a 7.8ph to steady 8.25-8.3 Alk,CA and Mg consumption is up for sure. My tank is all SPS, mainly Acros and Monti's . Definately seen improved growth and PE.

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2017-03-23-19-24-23.jpg
Looks like time to change my media... it lasted about 5 days and swinging downward. I ordered the solenoid and y fitting... hard to justify $70 for the solenoid valve when a 40 lbs bucket of media is about $90 with tax... my decision was not to try to extend the media but to keep pH more stable without so much swinging with the apex. Many factors for my media lasting only 5 days, but one factor may be my oversized skimmer... rated for 500+ gallons on my 120g drawing more air. I'm also going to try adding a separate canister for water because the 1 tbsp is inside evaporated for sure.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a lifereef skimmer, which has a Venturi that draws air from the skimmer cup to keep the Venturi drawing humid air (prevents clogging).

I had the idea to place my co2 scrubber in between the Venturi and skimmer cup so the humid air is pulled through the co2 media. It lasts MUCH longer than when I was pulling room aid through it.

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a lifereef skimmer, which has a Venturi that draws air from the skimmer cup to keep the Venturi drawing humid air (prevents clogging).

I had the idea to place my co2 scrubber in between the Venturi and skimmer cup so the humid air is pulled through the co2 media. It lasts MUCH longer than when I was pulling room aid through it.

Great idea!
I was thinking about that but can't figure out how to add a 3/8 barb to the cup. My lid has small holes. Maybe drill a bigger hole? Or adapt smaller 2 holes to one tube?

OP
OP
SuperDragon

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two flexible airline tubes one to each hole in the skimmer cup and stuffed the two of them into the 3/8 silicone intake to the scrubber. Now it draws moist air without adding water to the media.
I'll see how this goes.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two flexible airline tubes one to each hole in the skimmer cup and stuffed the two of them into the 3/8 silicone intake to the scrubber. Now it draws moist air without adding water to the media.
I'll see how this goes.

I do find that I have to unscrew the canister and drain excess water from the reactor as it does collect and start to submerge the soda lime :)

Back