CO2 scrubber review

The Big Chill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Can you simply take an air pump, plug one end to the BRS CO2 scrubber Canister and run a tube from the other end of the canister to a limestone mini airstone. Then place that airstone into your sump and/or refugion. Will that do the same thing as plugging into the protein skimmer and essentially bringing your PH up?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Can you simply take an air pump, plug one end to the BRS CO2 scrubber Canister and run a tube from the other end of the canister to a limestone mini airstone. Then place that airstone into your sump and/or refugion. Will that do the same thing as plugging into the protein skimmer and essentially bringing your PH up?

Because you have a skimmer and don't want to use it, or do not have a skimmer?

Any aeration via the scrubber will be in competition with other aeration using higher CO2 air, such as the tank top and a skimmer, if it is not being used for the scrubber.

Airstones can aerate OK, but have issues with salt spray and may not be as effective as a skimmer. In a closed sump with a lid, an airstone might be especially useful.

The Big Chill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you have a skimmer and don't want to use it, or do not have a skimmer?

Any aeration via the scrubber will be in competition with other aeration using higher CO2 air, such as the tank top and a skimmer, if it is not being used for the scrubber.

Airstones can aerate OK, but have issues with salt spray and may not be as effective as a skimmer. In a closed sump with a lid, an airstone might be especially useful.
Thank you for your reply Randy.

Correct.... I have a protein skimmer and already have that airline routed to the outside of the house. I am receiving the CO2 scrubber this week and was looking for other ways to implement it alongside the current Skimmer setup. If I need to cut the line and just put the CO2 scrubber in between the outside line and skimmer that is fine also. I already have an air pump and limestone airstone for mini bubbles. Was curious of the PH effect of running that setup (stone in covered sump) in parallel with current skimmer setup. If it was overkill and/or one would diminish the positive PH effect over the other.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding my 2nd MP40 to my Red Sea 200 there has been better flow but a lot of surface agitation. Received my Milwaukee PH controller. Shocked to see a ph of 7.8. So we will see if mire dosed Kalkwasser and the co2 scrubber will help

Attachments

• E85D5EAD-63D6-4A9B-BF22-0D53E66A7640.jpeg
    E85D5EAD-63D6-4A9B-BF22-0D53E66A7640.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 50
  • FC381283-077E-4823-A5AB-63C0C512C219.jpeg
    FC381283-077E-4823-A5AB-63C0C512C219.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 44

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back