CO2 scrubber review

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s not broke don’t fix it. Do you use kalkwasser? Have you calibrated your PH probe lately?
I did use kalk and it would boost the PH a bit. I switched to dosing now though, but I am using soda ash for the alk. This reading is across two different PH probes, including from my KH Monitor, and from API test kit, for what its worth. The probes are calibrated.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back up. I'm having the same issue as others. I have an apex coming tomorrow so it will tell the tale. I get super slow growth and with my handheld meter I'm getting 7.5 ph. I've read through this thread and gotten some ideas on what I need. I'll be ordering some bulk soda and a canister. Not sure on the air solenoid yet, though.

Any updates?

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are only going to accomplish so much with a scrubber on the skimmer. I have my skimmer pulling outside air. Despite this, I have big swings in pH based on the CO2 levels in my house. When my wife and kids went out of town for a week, my CO2 levels dropped 120 ppm in the house and my tank pH went up 0.1. All the while my skimmer pulled outside air.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are only going to accomplish so much with a scrubber on the skimmer. I have my skimmer pulling outside air. Despite this, I have big swings in pH based on the CO2 levels in my house. When my wife and kids went out of town for a week, my CO2 levels dropped 120 ppm in the house and my tank pH went up 0.1. All the while my skimmer pulled outside air.
Yep, it's all about equilibrium at the water surface. If you can limit the exposure of water to air indoors (a hood for example) less CO2 will be in your water and higher pH. I had to add a fan to my canopy and dropped a good 0.05 to 0.1 units of pH.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I also got a solenoid valve and have a normally closed valve was wondering if some of u can help me with my programming

I got this
Fallback OFF
If pH < 7.60 Then ON
If pH > 7.80 Then OFF

I just want to keep my ph consistent

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to set one of these up myself. I want to fine tune my ph. I think the best way to do it is with 2 solenoids. one that opens when pH is <8.15 to draw air from scrubber and one that opens when pH is >8.15 to draw in room air. both solenoid valves connected to each side of a barbed 3/8 tee, and the middle barb going to skimmer. I have it drawn and the programming seems pretty easy, I think.

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to set one of these up myself. I want to fine tune my ph. I think the best way to do it is with 2 solenoids. one that opens when pH is <8.15 to draw air from scrubber and one that opens when pH is >8.15 to draw in room air. both solenoid valves connected to each side of a barbed 3/8 tee, and the middle barb going to skimmer. I have it drawn and the programming seems pretty easy, I think.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up a scrubber on my tank yesterday. pH has already hit 8.2 today, which I'm thrilled with. Previously my tank had been stuck in the 7.7-7.9 range for months. Here's my set up. Keeping it simple. I see no need to hook it up to an apex or anything like that. It draws air from outside. I have water in the bottom of the chambers to keep it humid in there. So far, very pleased.
E1615ED0-565B-4E3C-8D4F-D159859DD34E.jpeg

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two scrubbers inline. I put fresh pellets in and I can get to 8.25 in my basement when full lighting. the day after it maxes out at 8.2, then after that 8.15, and so on. I just want to keep it stable so I got two solenoid valves and power supplies from chicage dist. where the previous posts had a link. My plan is to plug both into my apex and when ph >8.15 then off for the 1st solenoid going to room air. When ph <8.15 then on for second solenoid connected to scrubber. Both solenoids will be connected to a 3/8 barbed tee, so one hose will go to skimmer. Hopefully there will be no skimmer overflow, hopefully I can find a fitting to connect the 3/8 hose to my 1/2 male solenoid threaded end, and finally, I hope it works. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.
Just set up a scrubber on my tank yesterday. pH has already hit 8.2 today, which I'm thrilled with. Previously my tank had been stuck in the 7.7-7.9 range for months. Here's my set up. Keeping it simple. I see no need to hook it up to an apex or anything like that. It draws air from outside. I have water in the bottom of the chambers to keep it humid in there. So far, very pleased.
E1615ED0-565B-4E3C-8D4F-D159859DD34E.jpeg

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woops, I meant when ph >8.15 then ON for the solenoid with hose going to room air (or skimmer lid for more moisture).
I have two scrubbers inline. I put fresh pellets in and I can get to 8.25 in my basement when full lighting. the day after it maxes out at 8.2, then after that 8.15, and so on. I just want to keep it stable so I got two solenoid valves and power supplies from chicage dist. where the previous posts had a link. My plan is to plug both into my apex and when ph >8.15 then off for the 1st solenoid going to room air. When ph <8.15 then on for second solenoid connected to scrubber. Both solenoids will be connected to a 3/8 barbed tee, so one hose will go to skimmer. Hopefully there will be no skimmer overflow, hopefully I can find a fitting to connect the 3/8 hose to my 1/2 male solenoid threaded end, and finally, I hope it works. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it's been running 24 hours and I see no signs of color change in any of the media. So, I'm hoping I get a lot more life out of the pellets than you are describing. I just won't know until it's been running for awhile. With what you're describing, I don't think adding solenoids is going to keep your pH anymore stable necessarily, nor do I think you need to strive for a constant number. I don't think there's anything to worry about as long as your pH stays anywhere in the 8.0-8.3 range. Day to day variation is normal, even in the ocean, so I think the biggest thing is preventing it from dropping below 8.0, which is unnatural IMO.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I also got a solenoid valve and have a normally closed valve was wondering if some of u can help me with my programming

I got this
Fallback OFF
If pH < 7.60 Then ON
If pH > 7.80 Then OFF

I just want to keep my ph consistent

If it’s normally closes, that means no power to it should be pulling through the scrubber, power to it it’s pulling in normal air. Your logic is backwards.

Fallback off
If PH > 7.8 then on
If PH < 7.6 then off

I’d also add:

If outlet skimmer off then off

Also, check your PH levels, 7.7 average is low for a reef tank.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I don’t think you need two. Just go from the skimmer air intake to a tee. One side of the tee is a solenoid to fresh air the other is through the scrubber. When the solenoid is closed, it will pull through the scrubber, when it is open fresh air is going to come through solenoid. You may still get minor amount through the scrubber, but most will be be fresh air and will accomplish what you need. This way you don’t need two solenoids and two outlets.

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you need two. Just go from the skimmer air intake to a tee. One side of the tee is a solenoid to fresh air the other is through the scrubber. When the solenoid is closed, it will pull through the scrubber, when it is open fresh air is going to come through solenoid. You may still get minor amount through the scrubber, but most will be be fresh air and will accomplish what you need. This way you don’t need two solenoids and two outlets.
Thanks! That is a great idea! I didn't have an extra outlet so this is perfect!

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea of how I would program the solenoid outlet? I figured this:
Fallback OFF
If pH >8.15 then ON
If pH <8.15 then OFF
so what does the apex do if the pH is exactly 8.15?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one of these and I am installing it. Does it matter which nipple I hook the line up to? I'd guess the "out" because that would draw the air through the bottom

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m chsmging my media out about once a week. My PH is staying above 8.15 at night now and up to 8.4 during the day. However, the cooler weather has allowed me to open doors and windows to allow some o2 inside.

So, it is working. Good thing I ordered 5g as its halfway gone since the install in July.

enzo86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back