OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should do nicely. Should be much better with quick disconnects. Plus I can isolate the the sensor components better even though they are conformal coated. Either way this is a much better sealed unit. Now to upgrade the screen to a 3.5" touchscreen.

IMG_1785.JPG

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good on the skimmer test. This has been the most stable and highest pH yet. We'll see how long the media lasts. It may be an unfair test and need to be run again since the office is basically deserted for two weeks. But I'll take these pH levels any day of the week. Odd blip yesterday was a WC.

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 12.23.43 PM.png

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed with my scrubber that if the reactor got to much moisture in it the media would stop working. Made this to collect most of the water allowing moist air to go to the reactor. Works much better now I just dump it out every once in a while.
20181226_164404.jpeg

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed with my scrubber that if the reactor got to much moisture in it the media would stop working. Made this to collect most of the water allowing moist air to go to the reactor. Works much better now I just dump it out every once in a while.
20181226_164404.jpeg

I ended up having to do the same thing with the mini-scrubber, mostly to reduce the condensation so the sensors wouldn't be effected by condensation.

I like the little sealed container though, very creative.

You are right in your observations. I noticed the same thing during initial testing that when the condensation levels in the reactor got to high that the media was far less effective.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to do the same thing with the mini-scrubber, mostly to reduce the condensation so the sensors wouldn't be effected by condensation.

I like the little sealed container though, very creative.

You are right in your observations. I noticed the same thing during initial testing that when the condensation levels in the reactor got to high that the media was far less effective.
Thanks the container was a dollar store find and the fittings are from lowes about 4 dollar for the whole thing.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is about another 10-14 days in the current media. Will update the skimmer test when the media is depleted. The alk/cal consumption continues to steadily rise. I have noticed that recirculating air doesn't necessarily drop the intake air considerably as I would have thought but does seems to stabilize against higher CO2 levels. There would be days where CO2 would hit over 1000ppm, but running through the skimmer does seem to keep it in the 700ppm range which has a good effect on average pH. I'm pretty steady right now at an average pH of ~8.42 with peaks in the 8.55 range and drops to the ~8.34 range. Will be interesting to see once I pull the data.

Completed the initial build on the new hardware which will be all wireless and data will be put into the cloud. Now I just need to write the iOS app for the monitoring piece so it can go on an iPad in the display side of the cabinet.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is about another 10-14 days in the current media. Will update the skimmer test when the media is depleted. The alk/cal consumption continues to steadily rise. I have noticed that recirculating air doesn't necessarily drop the intake air considerably as I would have thought but does seems to stabilize against higher CO2 levels. There would be days where CO2 would hit over 1000ppm, but running through the skimmer does seem to keep it in the 700ppm range which has a good effect on average pH. I'm pretty steady right now at an average pH of ~8.42 with peaks in the 8.55 range and drops to the ~8.34 range. Will be interesting to see once I pull the data.

Completed the initial build on the new hardware which will be all wireless and data will be put into the cloud. Now I just need to write the iOS app for the monitoring piece so it can go on an iPad in the display side of the cabinet.

any update on this?

Do you have a picture of the "trap" you made to collect the moisture so it doesnt affect your media and sensors? I tried to do the skimmer cup but there was so much condensation that I legit got piles of water in the bottom of my reactors and it would ruin the media, etc. I am definitely going to have to create one of these "traps" between the skimmer cup and my media

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on this?

Do you have a picture of the "trap" you made to collect the moisture so it doesnt affect your media and sensors? I tried to do the skimmer cup but there was so much condensation that I legit got piles of water in the bottom of my reactors and it would ruin the media, etc. I am definitely going to have to create one of these "traps" between the skimmer cup and my media

I think @Mrx7899 solution above is the most economical. I had a mini reactor from @BRS that I use with rice in the chamber. This is mainly just to keep condensation down in the line so it doesn't interfere with the CO2 sensors, if the sensors weren't there I would just position the lines in such a way that they would drain back to the skimmer and the CO2 reactor, or use a tee near the skimmer and draw in some amount of fresh air so the temperatures can equalize to help stop the condensation.

I got about an inch left of white media at the top of the reactor today and outlet CO2 levels are still under 300ppm. I'll pull the data this weekend and update. This has been the most stable CO2 levels by far and has lasted the longest for sure.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a solenoid to connect to the air line with a T, so one hour it pulls in outside air and then one hour it opens the skimmer air line to pull skimmer and outside air. This has kept my canisters from getting full of condensation.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so I started my c02 scrubbing on Wednesday night, pulling from the skimmer cup with something like mrx used above between the cup and my scrubber so the condensation would stop there, it has done good at that.

however, I am burning through the media which seems like sooo fast. I am already half way through my first chamber (turned purple). I am using the BRS dual gfo/carbon setup. I know my skimmer is large, I have the bubble magus b12 which Air intake is 2800L/H but this still seems so fast and I obviously wont be able to keep this going as I would be spending like $16 a week on media. I really want to run high PH levels as my alk intake is so much higher whenever I have the c02 scrubbing going.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I started my c02 scrubbing on Wednesday night, pulling from the skimmer cup with something like mrx used above between the cup and my scrubber so the condensation would stop there, it has done good at that.

however, I am burning through the media which seems like sooo fast. I am already half way through my first chamber (turned purple). I am using the BRS dual gfo/carbon setup. I know my skimmer is large, I have the bubble magus b12 which Air intake is 2800L/H but this still seems so fast and I obviously wont be able to keep this going as I would be spending like $16 a week on media. I really want to run high PH levels as my alk intake is so much higher whenever I have the c02 scrubbing going.
Do you have condensation buildup in your reactor?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kalk stirrer is cheaper in the long run, and works just as well.

I've always been interesting in trying co2 scrubbing, still kind of am... But the media doesn't last too long. The way around this is to buy costco sized bags of media. A friend bought some medical grade stuff, like a 30lb box for $80, it lasted him a year with a dual chamber scrubber.

Sorry though, don't remember where it came from and lost contact with the guy :( but the stuff is out there in quantity.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Kalk stirrer is cheaper in the long run, and works just as well.

I've always been interesting in trying co2 scrubbing, still kind of am... But the media doesn't last too long. The way around this is to buy costco sized bags of media. A friend bought some medical grade stuff, like a 30lb box for $80, it lasted him a year with a dual chamber scrubber.

Sorry though, don't remember where it came from and lost contact with the guy :( but the stuff is out there in quantity.

I run kalk and my calcium reactor, even with the kalk I wouldnt get above 7.8 at night. With the c02 scrubber, I get above 8.1 at night and around 8.4 during the day

You can buy 3lb pounds for $8 online. but one of those only fills 2 canisters and right now it looks like I will burn through 2 canisters in 3-4 days

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 8.2 during the day and 8.0 at night. Mine has never really gotten below 8. I always have my window open though, perks of california "winters" lol.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run 8.2 during the day and 8.0 at night. Mine has never really gotten below 8. I always have my window open though, perks of california "winters" lol.

yeah I cant do that in PA haha. I am just looking to see if this is even possible to run through the media this fast. I would be fine spending $8 a week if 2 canisters lasted that long, some people have them running a lot longer so I just dont get how mine is burning so fast

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is kinda fast. But if you're shut in all day it could make a big difference. I feel for you guys that have real winters. It was a skin searing 48* on our coldest night. That's like spring for you guys :D

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much humidity will deplete the CO2 media fast, use the drop in PH more than the color change to figure out if the media is depleted or not.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back