CO2 Scrubber Testing

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that but then I will be wasting over half a canister of media which I dont get why the PH drops when there is still 1.5 out of 2 canisters with good media

I only replace half the media in mine...just don’t waste any. I’m not sure what the problem is here.

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the solenoid valve and pH control. I'll be using a 3-way / 2-position pneumatic valve (MettleAir 3v310-10-DC24) normally closed valve.

Port A will go to the skimmer pump.
Port P to the scrubber. (normally open)
Port R to ambient air. (normally closed)

Then connect to Apex via a 24vdc port.

If pH hits 8.4 turn off the 24vdc port. If pH hits 8.3 turn on the 24vdc port.
Any updates on your results from using a valve to control your scrubber? How much longer did your media last when compared to intake from skimmer cup without control valve?

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider, on high performance cars we use catch cans to catch oil coming from the PCV system to reduce detonation issues in high performance engines. In theory these DIY water traps you guys are making are the same thing. If you wanted a more aesthetically pleasing option you could try a cheap catch can from amazon such as https://www.amazon.com/Ruien-0046-U...rds=catch+can&qid=1557062922&s=gateway&sr=8-3

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking of adding a second chamber to my setup. My single chamber exhausts very quickly.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your results from using a valve to control your scrubber? How much longer did your media last when compared to intake from skimmer cup without control valve?

I haven't had a chance to hook this up on the tank that is up and running yet. I've still been pretty stable between 8.35 and 8.50 and the media still lasts about 60 days.

Rather than a catch can, I found that if you drill a small hole about 1/8" in the line from the skimmer cup that the condensation gets removed from the line. This allows the temps to equalize, reducing condensation, and PH is not affected. I did this right next to the connection at the cup.

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a chance to hook this up on the tank that is up and running yet. I've still been pretty stable between 8.35 and 8.50 and the media still lasts about 60 days.

Rather than a catch can, I found that if you drill a small hole about 1/8" in the line from the skimmer cup that the condensation gets removed from the line. This allows the temps to equalize, reducing condensation, and PH is not affected. I did this right next to the connection at the cup.

Pic?

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the equipment to run my setup with a solenoid. My pH hovers between 8.2 - 8.5 since the installation of my CO2 scrubber. I will install the solenoid when my first container of media is spent. I'll not only compare how much longer this will extend my media life, but I will also track if using a solenoid to keep my pH between 8.25 and 8.35 would have noticeable reduction in my Alk and Ca consumption rate. Meaning is there a sweet spot for my pH value where I will find diminishing returns on coral growth rate with a higher pH. I'll use the consumption of my 2-part dosing as my measure for coral growth rate.

I would add that since adding my CO2 scrubber, my pH increased from a range of 8 - 8.25 to 8.2 - 8.5. As a result, this has increased by 2-part dosing of ESV from a daily dosing of 25ml to 39ml in order to maintain my Alk levels of 7.75 dKH. This accounts for more than 50% increased consumption rate of Alk and Ca. I was quite surprised by these results. I've also visually noticed an increase in the growth rate of my acros - unfortunately I didn't take any before and after shots to compare growth rates.

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread, but of anectodal evidence from my own setup, I hooked my co2 scrubber back up about a month ago. 10” canister with the air supply coming out of the skimmer cup. Ph went from an average of 7.7-7.8 to now 8.1-8.2, and it was higher but I started dosing vinegar. Oh and so far the media has lasted almost 4 weeks. This is on a 40B with a nwb110 that I hooked a varios 2s up to

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread, but of anectodal evidence from my own setup, I hooked my co2 scrubber back up about a month ago. 10” canister with the air supply coming out of the skimmer cup. Ph went from an average of 7.7-7.8 to now 8.1-8.2, and it was higher but I started dosing vinegar. Oh and so far the media has lasted almost 4 weeks. This is on a 40B with a nwb110 that I hooked a varios 2s up to
Awesome! Do you know how much your consumption of Alk and Ca has gone up by since adding the CO2 scrubber?

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2051.JPG

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I should have ditched the container I had and ran through my skimmer a long time ago. My pH is at 8.4 right now. Normal was around 8.2 as the high. I also started dosing kalk in my ATO so that also helps out some. I am noticing less media usage and a much higher pH. Going to continue to use the CO2 scrubber to increase my pH.

upload_2019-5-9_17-31-36.png

upload_2019-5-9_17-31-48.png

upload_2019-5-9_17-32-14.png

upload_2019-5-9_17-32-31.png

Not scientific but with what I've learned from this thread, think I have a permanent solution to my low pH even at night.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd update my pH since going to the skimmer. Wow what a difference.

upload_2019-5-18_21-43-8.png

Compared to this not too long ago:
upload_2019-5-18_21-47-11.png

I'll take the first one all day long. Can go higher but no need to. I do have a solenoid on it to keep it from climbing too high. Working out well. Still have a lot of media life left too.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vRwouhE.jpg

I use motorized ball valves on my scrubber.

From what I was reading in another thread, solenoids stay energized all the time and can get warm... while these motorized valves only draw power when needing to turn the valve and never heat up. Ultimately, not a huge deal though. (Also, I doubt solenoids really restrict much air flow, but I suppose having a larger pipe can't hurt.)

Anyway, using two, I have apex open and close based on the pH. Too high... pull "regular" air. Too low... pull from scrubber.

s8CvKdc.jpg

SbREgeT.jpg

My pH increased. The old highs are now my lows. The fluctuation up and down is much tighter as well.

ZT7ejJ7.jpg

Last edited:

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vRwouhE.jpg

I use motorized ball valves on my scrubber.

From what I was reading in another thread, solenoids stay energized all the time and can get warm... while these motorized valves only draw power when needing to turn the valve. (Also, I doubt solenoids really restrict much air flow, but I suppose having a larger pipe can't hurt.)

Anyway, Using two, I can have apex open and close based on the pH. Too high... pull "regular" air. Too low... pull from scrubber.

s8CvKdc.jpg

SbREgeT.jpg

My pH increased. The old highs are now my lows. The fluctuation up and down is much tighter as well.

ZT7ejJ7.jpg
Awesome, can you post some more pics of the install. Also could you provide some detail on how you configured it with the the Apex?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, can you post some more pics of the install. Also could you provide some detail on how you configured it with the the Apex?

Its kind of hard to photograph but hopefully this gives you the idea. (Side note: Ignore the twist valve in between the skimmer tube and the pvc. I was just too lazy to find a proper fitting lol)

tFXX1By.jpg

T7SbNyH.jpg

6CBBzoi.jpg

Some motorized valves will plug into a typical outlet. Its a quick/easy solution but seems like a wasted outlet to me. So I wired these to plug into the DC24 connections on the EB832.

jUYIdQN.jpg

OP9qymH.jpg

And the programming is super straight forward:

etaS7gK.jpg

BVALVE_REG:
9BE2M4a.jpg

BVALVE_SCRUB:
eYqSqkj.jpg

Last edited:

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is, are two ball valves necessary or can one be configured to both draw from the scrubber given a ph window and then move to position two and draw from outside air?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back