Co2 Scrubber?

Lilly45nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your house is new so your HVAC is tied to the outside air, so indoor CO2 should not be your problem. Your tank design however ... well that is your problem. I have a real problem with enclosed sump areas and this is why. Also if the top of your tank is enclosed then your tank has no way to "breath". The CO2 is going to build up. A better alternative is chaeto or macro in the sump. Those mangroves aren't going to cut it they don't grow fast enough. Also uncover your tank (if it is covered) and get more air flow through your stand. Just leaving the doors open should be enough to pull up your PH. Another alternative is to put your skimmer airline outside of your stand. These are much cheaper and more effective solutions than a CO2 scrubber.
I also am having this problem...same scenario...can you show or explain how to get the skimmer intake outside of the cabinet please ?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be an intake on the skimmer. Here is a picture of a skimmer that I have. The small cylinder pictured off to the side is the silencer and the intake is next to the white screw. It is the clear pipe sticking up.
image0.jpg

Fit this clear pipe with tubing and run it outside of your cabinet to someplace that is convinient for you. Try to make sure that there is plenty of open air around it and that it is not to close to the cabinet itself. Some people will go so far as to pull these to the out doors, but better to do the minimal amount to get the maximum results.

Lilly45nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be an intake on the skimmer. Here is a picture of a skimmer that I have. The small cylinder pictured off to the side is the silencer and the intake is next to the white screw. It is the clear pipe sticking up.
image0.jpg

Fit this clear pipe with tubing and run it outside of your cabinet to someplace that is convinient for you. Try to make sure that there is plenty of open air around it and that it is not to close to the cabinet itself. Some people will go so far as to pull these to the out doors, but better to do the minimal amount to get the maximum results.
Thank you!

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cO2 media BRS sells now is garbage. It last a week, tops, and that’s with the recirculating method. The media they used to sell was much better. Check out the reviews on their website. If you can, plumb your skimmer intake outside.

Rod999vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried everything to raise ph, and finally broke down and got the BRS $32 scrubber and the shopmedvet Soda Lime (11.99/3lbs -will fill canister 2.5 times). Wish i had done it 6 months ago! Raised my ph from a constant 7.8 to 8.3 by the next day. I’ve had it running for two weeks now and only exhausted 20% of media in canister.
I rigged the intake to the scrubber cup for humidity and to recycle air for longer media life ($7 bucks for tube and fittings).
So far so good! I recommend!

90 gallon mixed reef

DF67B70F-69A5-4F0E-BBFD-623B1F1AB396.jpeg

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick question for people with experience on a CO2 scrubber. So if my cabinet is partially enclosed, Wouldn’t the CO2 scrubber work better with scrubbing the air that’s in the cabinet versus running the scrubber intake line outside of the stand and scrubbing the whole room? Would it be considered semi recirculating Scrubber. I do know running an airline to the outside of the house is the next best thing, but this is not feasible for me because I don’t trust the lawn guys, pest control guys, and the weather. My cabinet is partially enclosed with a fan pulling air in.

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried everything to raise ph, and finally broke down and got the BRS $32 scrubber and the shopmedvet Soda Lime (11.99/3lbs -will fill canister 2.5 times). Wish i had done it 6 months ago! Raised my ph from a constant 7.8 to 8.3 by the next day. I’ve had it running for two weeks now and only exhausted 20% of media in canister.
I rigged the intake to the scrubber cup for humidity and to recycle air for longer media life ($7 bucks for tube and fittings).
So far so good! I recommend!

90 gallon mixed reef

DF67B70F-69A5-4F0E-BBFD-623B1F1AB396.jpeg
I’m confused. Looks like the affluent drain from your Skimmer is draining into your C02 scrubber?

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My question is running the unit under the cabinet should theoretically make the Co2 media last longer if it’s recirculating the already scrubbed air in the cabinet?

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused. Looks like the affluent drain from your Skimmer is draining into your C02 scrubber?
at first glance me too!

here is one i diy'd for an older tank i had.. should prolly use it on my current tank lol but media = one more thing i have to buy

Untitled by shaun s., on Flickr

Untitled by shaun s., on Flickr

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BRS reactor/media only lasted four days when my canister air inlet was open to direct air only.
Converted to the "recirculation" principal and now my media lasts for about 14-16 days now. Also, I found this really nice silicone tubing on Amazon and it comes in multiple colors. It's fantastic! I am so glad I added a CO2 scrubber!

IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0741.JPG

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its like a "double pass"! do you think it is still as effective? this is a great solution if so! all skimmer caps have holes in them so your already halfway... haha

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its like a "double pass"! do you think it is still as effective? this is a great solution if so! all skimmer caps have holes in them so your already halfway... haha
My initial impression was that media replacement would be expensive. My system is in a basement with no possibility of obtaining an "outside" air source. By implementing the recirculation method I'm achieving greater media longevity and thus decreasing cost. My skimmer only has four holes in the lid, and I'm only accessing one of those for my CO2 scrubber air intake. My ph at it's highest is at 8.3; so I have no need for complicated automated valves or the like.

Rod999vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, bad picture angle i guess. Skimmer cup is draining to an empty gallon collection jug. Scrubber intake is connected to the skimmer silencer air intake.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cO2 media BRS sells now is garbage. It last a week, tops, and that’s with the recirculating method. The media they used to sell was much better. Check out the reviews on their website. If you can, plumb your skimmer intake outside.
The ice cap media is not as good either I have personally noticed. I too am going to buy the jorvet shop medvet stuff on amazon

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ice cap media is not as good either I have personally noticed. I too am going to buy the jorvet shop medvet stuff on amazon
BRS media over Ice Cap pellets all day. The pellet versions allow for too much air space. I switched over the 7.5lb BRS bag, and I find the media compacts better, and my PH has been much more stable.
I run dual lines from outside to my Ice Cap scrubber (Which Ill be swapping for the BRS canister) then a single to dual line into my skimmer. Media lasts me 3-4 weeks Which makes my yearly media expense at roughly 50$, so you don’t have to be hood rich to pull off a scrubber! I though about tying in one of the lines for a recirculating method but Ill prolly hold off until the season changes as its humid as all hell here in the summer.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back