Cobwebs

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I've had a tank 20 gallons with water in it. And there's a weird thing growing in it like cobwebs I've taken a video I apologize for the poor quality

Attachments

• 20240226_190938_01.mp4
    454 KB
OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get the video to work but does this help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227_161818_MMGuardian.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_161818_MMGuardian.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 35

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people upload the video to a site like YouTube then link it here because the site struggles with videos. I can see the screenshot, and I can see the "cobwebs" well enough to see what you're asking about, but I can't see them well enough to tell what they are from the pic.

I'd say either upload the video and link it here, or just add some closer up pics of the strings in question if you can.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can't get the video to work but does this help
Pic very distant in pic but what I see may be webbing from Vermetid snails. easiest video to post is You tube version

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you tell what it is now?
This looks to be slime or bacteria and often from lack of filtration and water movement. I see you have a hang on power filter which is likely inadequate as its a mechanical unit and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The aquaclear will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to be slime or bacteria and often from lack of filtration and water movement. I see you have a hang on power filter which is likely inadequate as its a mechanical unit and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The aquaclear will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Okay thanks for telling me I'll get a mechanical filter to replace it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay thanks for telling me I'll get a mechanical filter to replace it
Youre running a mechanical filter. You want chemical and biological as described. If not running a flow pump/powerhead, do add one to alleviate this build-up

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre running a mechanical filter. You want chemical and biological as described. If not running a flow pump/powerhead, do add one to alleviate this build-up
Question do I need to just get a diffrent filter, or do I need to also drain all the water and put new saltwater in the tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Question do I need to just get a diffrent filter, or do I need to also drain all the water and put new saltwater in the tank
You can blow substance loose and siphon or net it up and add a larger filter or add more flow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back