Cold water anemones!

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been making my way down the Oregon coast this week. Made a few stops and checked out the tidepools. There are some amazing anemones up here in the cold water! Really makes me want to start a Coldwater Nem tank.
Here are a few pics I snapped. Excuse the glare... I'm not a photographer... Let's see yours!

Aggregating Anemones:
KVID1266_exported_3714.jpg

KIMG1274.JPG

Giant Green Anemone:
KVID1262_exported_4163.jpg

Pic doesn't do the size justice. Bad angle... This thing was over 10" in diameter. Actually has a pretty potent sting as well.
IMG_8810.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And cold water urchins. Those vibrant purple urchins can't tolerate the water temperatures of our reef ssytems. One of the most atractive marine systems I've ssen was at the Monteray Bay Aquarium. It looked like it was about 75 gallons and was full of strawberry anemones and catalina gobies.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's an amazing tank! How was the survival rate of stuff you put in there compared to warm water reef tanks?

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Survival rate rate was high…..especially with the strawberry anemones which spread rapidly. The tank was set up specifically for their needs with high flow and a maximum temp of 55f ….plus near constant auto feedings. All the critters in there were non-photosynthetic.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back