Collecting fish in hawaii for personal tank

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The rules don’t make sense. I did quite a bit of research because I wanted to do a cold water - pacific hand collected reef. After all my research I found for a guy like me it wasn’t legally possible. But for food consumption the rules are fairly relaxed. Just didn’t seem fair, because there is way way more collections for food then people collection for aquariums.

only stuff that’s remotely legal is some
Snail and crabs, some macro algae’s - maybe a few other things - but no fish. And your still need to get a license.
OMG! I have two temperate tide pool tanks and the rules are completely bonkers. One paragraph says you can, another says you can't. But, yes you can not transport live fish, even as sport fisherman you have to kill your catch before transport. But there are loop holes ie; if you purchase a fish from a fish store or someone with a resale license, or a scientific collections permit. I feel the only thing the state of California is doing is inhibiting interest in a Blue economy for the future.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited it. I know they have to be on carry-on bags but it could also be confiscated by the USDA.
I believe USDA involvement (if any) would be applicable ONLY to certain states and ONLY regarding certain foreign bodies. Importing to the US (thus USDA) you’d have to follow national restrictions. But then further reference down to state level. Ie certain plants are illegal even domestically (further - even within the lower 48) to be shipped to Arizona and California. Certain animals to California and Florida. These states were usually the biggest “culprits” (not the best descriptor). There is a book IATA which is updated annually which lists these constraints. Another reference book - I’m forgetting the name at the moment is purely domestic shipping rules/regs.
Now having said all that, my experience with this was just after point of origin.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true and yes it’s legal in certain parts for non-commercial uses. But definitely make them aware beforehand.
And you are 100% here. The more upfront paperwork in the hand of an agent (I assume TSA here tho I’m not involved with them) as for me - paper work with Ts crossed and Is dotted makes me more confident in the shipper.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to amend (rather add to) my previous post it’d be the standard reference guide for shipping being the other ‘book’ used. It has been awhile since I had to use those lol

OP
OP
dontbuyxenia

dontbuyxenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised this thread was resurrected lol. I did end up contacting someone at the Hawaii DNR to clear up the concern a few months ago and according to them it is completely legal to collect fish for "your own personal aquarium" and transport them back to your home state. The only issue with this is that you technically still aren't allowed to sell those fish(even though there is no way it could really be enforced). The issue lies with bringing stuff back from hawaii and whether it counts as "importing" or not at TSA. Some say it would be treated as if you were coming from another country and others say it is like any normal domestic flight. Ive never been to hawaii so idk lol. Maybe someone could chime in on that. I doubt there is anything stopping you from sending them back in a fed ex package though. I know people in hawaii who have bought coral with no issues and just ordered them online and shipped through fed ex. But im sure this is illegal.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised this thread was resurrected lol. I did end up contacting someone at the Hawaii DNR to clear up the concern a few months ago and according to them it is completely legal to collect fish for "your own personal aquarium" and transport them back to your home state. The only issue with this is that you technically still aren't allowed to sell those fish(even though there is no way it could really be enforced). The issue lies with bringing stuff back from hawaii and whether it counts as "importing" or not at TSA. Some say it would be treated as if you were coming from another country and others say it is like any normal domestic flight. Ive never been to hawaii so idk lol. Maybe someone could chime in on that. I doubt there is anything stopping you from sending them back in a fed ex package though. I know people in hawaii who have bought coral with no issues and just ordered them online and shipped through fed ex. But im sure this is illegal.
That is illegal. Knew a guy when I lived there that got a few rose bubble tips through what he called the "blue market"

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back