Collecting muscles from beach too feed too my copperband !!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im lucky I guess I live quiet near the beach (here in Holland) , so every couple of weeks I go collect some muscles at low tide from the rocks , I take them home ,change the water get rid of as many critters as I can then throw them in the fridge .. then everyday I take a couple , wash them in RODI Water , crush them and throw them in my tank , my copperband goes crazy for them , as well as my flame angle and 6 line wrasse..
I was just wondering if this could have any adverse or negative effects on my tank ....??
Thanks Mack

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im lucky I guess I live quiet near the beach (here in Holland) , so every couple of weeks I go collect some muscles at low tide from the rocks , I take them home ,change the water get rid of as many critters as I can then throw them in the fridge .. then everyday I take a couple , wash them in RODI Water , crush them and throw them in my tank , my copperband goes crazy for them , as well as my flame angle and 6 line wrasse..
I was just wondering if this could have any adverse or negative effects on my tank ....??
Thanks Mack
As long as you're throwing them in the fridge, I would think that would kill any potential pests coming in. And if you're washing them in ro water first, any contaminants are hopefully washed away. It sounds like you're going the right way about doing it ;)

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're throwing them in the fridge, I would think that would kill any potential pests coming in. And if you're washing them in ro water first, any contaminants are hopefully washed away. It sounds like you're going the right way about doing it ;)
Hmm don’t know about the fridge ... our sea is pretty cold all year round :p:p:D..
And it’s teaming with life .. pods ,crabs ,and who knows what else ..!
108772DB-1C25-4E84-8BA4-FAF1DCE4E02B.jpeg

1ECE5E1B-DA39-405A-8DA7-376D82B21FE7.jpeg
67F5E3A1-E598-4EB7-8D21-C61EBA8D8D4A.jpeg

89B978B4-AC44-45F5-A912-D86971648ADE.jpeg

Last photo is from Hoek van Holland

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mack

Hmm don’t know about the fridge ... our sea is pretty cold all year round :p:p:D..
And it’s teaming with life .. pods ,crabs ,and who knows what else ..!
108772DB-1C25-4E84-8BA4-FAF1DCE4E02B.jpeg

1ECE5E1B-DA39-405A-8DA7-376D82B21FE7.jpeg
67F5E3A1-E598-4EB7-8D21-C61EBA8D8D4A.jpeg

89B978B4-AC44-45F5-A912-D86971648ADE.jpeg
I was referring to this part of your post ;) lol

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening Jason,
You didn't fancy Blackpool Beach for ya muscles ;):D:DThen;);)
Hahaha ... I did Simon,, it’s just that the swim there is a little long .. actually I was there at the beginning of June for a week .. visiting my parents ..!! It’s gone a bit down hill since I was last there !!

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening Jason,
You didn't fancy Blackpool Beach for ya muscles ;):D:DThen;);)
Hahaha ... I did Simon,, it’s just that the swim there is a little long .. actually I was there at the beginning of June for a week .. visiting my parents ..!! It’s gone a bit down hill since I was last there !!

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to this part of your post ;) lol
I know lol .. I meant our sea is probably as cold as the fridge so it wouldn’t make much difference for the parasites... :p:p I was just pulling your wiener !!!!:cool:

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha,Ha, Jason,
Just a little to long for a swim back to Blighty Nice to see you dropping in to see your parents :) I have to admit I haven't visited Blackpool since the 1970s sad to hear that it's not the place it once was!! My son lives in Holland place call Leiden for the last 15yrs now.

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha,Ha, Jason,
Just a little to long for a swim back to Blighty Nice to see you dropping in to see your parents :) I have to admit I haven't visited Blackpool since the 1970s sad to hear that it's not the place it once was!! My son lives in Holland place call Leiden for the last 15yrs now.
Leiden is not so far from me 40 km or so .. but then Holland is so small your never really far from anything .., I live in a town called Vlaardingen just outside of Rotterdam ..

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leiden is not so far from me 40 km or so .. but then Holland is so small your never really far from anything .., I live in a town called Vlaardingen just outside of Rotterdam ..
Small world as they say, rather flat lands in holland:) question Jason can you feed muscles to yellow tail Damsels and clown fish? I have a Bengali Angel and he is quite huge:)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I would freeze the clams 1st just to make sure . I wish I could visit Holland what a cool place ! & not the tourists places either !

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small world as they say, rather flat lands in holland:) question Jason can you feed muscles to yellow tail Damsels and clown fish? I have a Bengali Angel and he is quite huge:)
Yellow tail damsels ... will probably eat anything ... my clowns don’t go near them .. but then I just Crush them with a hammer to break the shells and my copperband does the rest .. I imagine that if you opened the muscle up and cut it out into pieces the clowns would eat them .. or feed your anamone if you’ve got one :D

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I would freeze the clams 1st just to make sure . I wish I could visit Holland what a cool place ! & not the tourists places either !
I’ve bought frozen muscles from my lFS before ... my copperband won’t go near them .. I end up feeding them to my anamoneo_O..
Holland is nice some very beautiful places .. Amsterdam .., Breda.. but it has its problems just like every other country !!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason I would think the frozen clams mat have been treated with a preservative or such. Try freezing just one of Your natural clams & see if she likes it. I buy big stew clams shuck & freeze my Copper Band eats them with relish !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back