Copperband recommendation. Is this one eating well?

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience with Copperbands but I want to give one a try. My LFS is holding one for me that they say is eating Well. I went to take a look late today and had them do feeding while I was there and they put in a mixture of frozen food. I took a few videos that I’m attaching and I would like to know is this the type of feeding activity and behavior I should be looking for? I never could really tell what it was eating as it was very small but I did see it go after a a couple small pieces of mysis on the bottom. Thanks

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see a lot of the stuff he's eating (you could probably see this better in-person), but he certainly appears to be eating well.

I've seen CBBs at my LFS during feeding and they weren't anywhere near as active as this guy.
Thanks, I’m really not sure what the heck he is eating, I do know the LFS had PE Calanus mixed into their frozen mixture I’m guessing that might be it. I’m going back again tomorrow with the plan of picking him up and will have them do one more feeding for me to watch. I’m just not experienced with their normal eating behaviors. Thanks again.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what I see he is very active and wants to eat, good signs, but he is not getting what he wants. My first would not even look at anything I put in the tank. Died three days later. My second copperband acted like yours, up front engaged with people. When I brought him home, he did the same as this fish, looking at the food, put it in his mouth once and went back to begging. It took 3 different types of frozen until I found what he likes. Now he greets me at the tank same as this one and goes to town on his preferred food. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what I see he is very active and wants to eat, good signs, but he is not getting what he wants. My first would not even look at anything I put in the tank. Died three days later. My second copperband acted like yours, up front engaged with people. When I brought him home, he did the same as this fish, looking at the food, put it in his mouth once and went back to begging. It took 3 different types of frozen until I found what he likes. Now he greets me at the tank same as this one and goes to town on his preferred food. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I’m hoping to get a better idea of what he is actually eating or trying to eat tomorrow.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first copperband on Friday. So I can’t say if it’s normal expectations but I can tell you that mine also looks very interested in eating and after trying a few different things it finally ate out of the water column tonight using a frozen angel/butterfly blend. Good luck!

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first copperband on Friday. So I can’t say if it’s normal expectations but I can tell you that mine also looks very interested in eating and after trying a few different things it finally ate out of the water column tonight using a frozen angel/butterfly blend. Good luck!
Thanks. I guess my real question is; Is this guy a good candidate for success. Thanks again.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When buying CBB for eating aiptesia, is buying smaller CBB better or larger fully developed CBBs?

Same question for Peppermint shrimps- donthe younger one eat more aiptesia or the older ones?

May be there is no difference just wanted to check if there is an established wisdom!

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying CBB for eating aiptesia, is buying smaller CBB better or larger fully developed CBBs?

Same question for Peppermint shrimps- donthe younger one eat more aiptesia or the older ones?

May be there is no difference just wanted to check if there is an established wisdom!
I think it is gamble. Like people, most like pizza but some don’t. I actually placed a couple of aiptaisa in the qt tank with my CB. I’m really hoping at some point it will take care of those in my tank

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is gamble. Like people, most like pizza but some don’t. I actually placed a couple of aiptaisa in the qt tank with my CB. I’m really hoping at some point it will take care of those in my tank
I have a pretty bad aptaisia out break, I started with manual control when they were just a few. They exploded and spread everywhere almost over night it seems. I put the infected rock into a makeshift tank. Tried manual again and it got worse. I purchased nudibranch and put them in the tank. Right after I put them in, maybe an hour or so later, I see a emerald crab that I don't know was in the tank, came over with the rocks, right where I put the nudibranch in. Never saw them again. I purchased a copperband on line as there was nothing local. He never ate and passed within 3 days. I finally found a copperband from a local source that was eating and he is doing well and is an amazing fish, he just won't touch aptaisia. I Then purchased 5 or six peppermint shrimp. Finally my aptaisia is being eaten by the peppermint shrimp. Slowly but surely disappearing.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other things to consider are- the size of tank, how mature it is, what are the current inhabitants

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With CBB, I train them in frag tank to eat aiptasia as well eat fast from water column. Just eating is not enough. They need to be able to eat their fair share.

Also, I take time to observe if the CBB is going to eat anything else. I throw a few frags of Zoas in the isolation to observe as well.

It takes couple of weeks but my CBB in my DT is the MVP, most useful and the prettiest.

Good luck!!!

Sam

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With CBB, I train them in frag tank to eat aiptasia as well eat fast from water column. Just eating is not enough. They need to be able to eat their fair share.

Also, I take time to observe if the CBB is going to eat anything else. I throw a few frags of Zoas in the isolation to observe as well.

It takes couple of weeks but my CBB in my DT is the MVP, most useful and the prettiest.

Good luck!!!

Sam
Thanks! I just picked him up so we’ll see.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you putting him in QT? Just curious because a lot die in QT. I QT but observation only on CBB. I like get them eating well and it's a plus if they see you as the food giver. Mine is the first one at the top when I feed so he gets his share.
That one looks healthy and is interested in eating. It may be a candidate for clam or muscle in the shell since it looks like it enjoys picking at stuff.
On a side note and it may just be the video or even my eyes but the second video when it's head is facing strait forward it's left eye looks a bit swollen. Just wanted to mention it and hope it's just an illusion.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you putting him in QT? Just curious because a lot die in QT. I QT but observation only on CBB. I like get them eating well and it's a plus if they see you as the food giver. Mine is the first one at the top when I feed so he gets his share.
That one looks healthy and is interested in eating. It may be a candidate for clam or muscle in the shell since it looks like it enjoys picking at stuff.
On a side note and it may just be the video or even my eyes but the second video when it's head is facing strait forward it's left eye looks a bit swollen. Just wanted to mention it and hope it's just an illusion.
Yes, he’s in QT with a pair of Bella Sleeper Goby’s. I’ve dealt with a velvet outbreak recently and nothing will go in my DT without QT anymore, it’s quick and devastating. I’m going to give him a few days to make sure he’s eating well then I will be treating in QT. I did check his eye and all is good, Thanks.

Last edited:

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched most of it. Looks like its a healthy weight but didn't see much eating. When a cbb is eating you will know it. It will pick up everything it can find that has fallen to the bottom after.
Also this ^ worked well for me too with my first and only CBB. It may take a few days for it to settle and eat. They are not shy once they start eating.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back