OP
S

Stephen1623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am living In an apartment. My question is the dimensions for the ten gallon are 13.5x13.5x13.5 the 20 is 17x17x17 my question is would a random person be able to tell a 4 inch difference and that it is 20 gallons versus 10?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got a return label for the 10 gallon cube and ordered a 20 cube water box only 4 inches longer. So 20 gallons is good for a pair
Good on you for doing the right thing.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am living In an apartment. My question is the dimensions for the ten gallon are 13.5x13.5x13.5 the 20 is 17x17x17 my question is would a random person be able to tell a 4 inch difference and that it is 20 gallons versus 10?
The nicer it looks the less they will worry

OP
OP
S

Stephen1623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did call the apartment complex and they don't check apartments, but if somehow they did and saw the tank would they be able to tell a ten gallon from 20 based on the dimensions I said.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did call the apartment complex and they don't check apartments, but if somehow they did and saw the tank would they be able to tell a ten gallon from 20 based on the dimensions I said.
Not unless they get out a calculator

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any maintenance guy won't even care. They have that in the rules in the event something larger breaks, the costs of the repairs are on you.

OP
OP
S

Stephen1623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now here is my last question if I get more info and they say no to the 20 gallon and I go with the ten gallon will they be ok? I'm just trying to get as much info as possible

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok? Probably. Comfortable? Probably not

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe with one centrally placed rock. Weekly water changes are going to be a key to success the smaller you go. They also become a point destabilization in a tank that small if your not careful.

OP
OP
S

Stephen1623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my question is that they would be in there for about 27 weeks per year for the next 3-4 years and when they would be at home they would be in the 24 gallon. My question is during those 27 weeks will they be happy and nothing happen to them.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my question is that they would be in there for about 27 weeks per year for the next 3-4 years and when they would be at home they would be in the 24 gallon. My question is during those 27 weeks will they be happy and nothing happen to them.
That depends on the level of care you give them and how large they grow in that time.

have you thought about maybe getting a damsel or other nearly impossible to kill little fish and just enjoying that in your dorm? Leave the clowns at home while on your college adventure. They’ll be there when your done.

OP
OP
S

Stephen1623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think they are already about full grown the female looks full size, could you look up coral fish 12g tank set up if I got a rock structure like his would that be good an diet me know thx.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping those 2 clowns in the waterbox 20 will be just fine for the long haul. The structure coralfish 12g uses would work, another thing you could do is get some pond matrix and put it in the back chambers of the tank for additional beneficial bacteria. Then you could basically just transport that bag of pond matrix along with the fish whenever the semesters are over for instantly cycled tanks.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has nothing to do with having enough bacteria or parameters. It's if the tank is big enough for the clowns. Recommended tank size from different sources is 20g and up depending on reference. What you do with that information is a personal choice.

OP
OP
S

Stephen1623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm trying to get at is will they be fine in a 10 gallon for a few years and they would not be in there the whole year 27 weeks roughly. What I want to make sure is that since I think their close to full grown that it will not hurt them.

StellarLoving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive worked at a LFS and have seen clowns in a 10g for years with no issues besides being extremely territorial. However, based on reading the comments this is a unpopular choice.

In my 7 years of reefing (very very little amount of time) I've found its best to do what you wanna do, granted it's not something ridiculous like a 3in tang in a 20L.

To wrap up, my first reef tank in 2014 was a 10g with 2 clowns. They lived happily for 2 years (52 weeks 365 days) before I moved out my moms house and sold the tiny setup.

Edited amount of years reefing from 6 to 7.

OP
OP
S

Stephen1623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I get the 20 gallon do you think it would be the dimensions are in the screens shot. What I want to know if I get the 20 gallon would a apartment worker be able to tell the difference what do you think ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-230712_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-230712_Chrome.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 23

StellarLoving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I get the 20 gallon do you think it would be the dimensions are in the screens shot. What I want to know if I get the 20 gallon would a apartment worker be able to tell the difference what do you think ?
Unless they are a reefer or freshwater person I highly doubt they will no any better. I live in apartments with a 10g policy as well and have 3 tanks, a 5, a 15, and my most recent a nuvo 40 .

Pest control does come monthly and they have seen every tank. They actually enjoy looking at for a few minutes, I'll add I do offer them drinks and snacks while they are here. One gentleman even said " oh you have a saltwater tank, I'll make sure to avoid it when spraying. Another resident has one as well".

All in all if your responsible, not messing or a problematic tenet I doubt they will give you any fuss. Remember, they are making money off you and don't wanna lose it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back