Colonial hydroid eradication. Expert advice needed

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throughout my reefing journey I have always used the principal that a natural approach to problems was the way to go and have always found a way to get my tank back in check. Bubble algae =mithrax crabs. Hair algae=tuxedo urchin other algae’s snails and tangs. Etc

My new issue has me at a loss and am looking for some guidance.

My tank has recently exploded with what I believe are colonial hydroids. Hoping someone can tell me natural ways to eradicate these from my system? Will take any and All advice. All I have heard to date was remove all live rock. Or dip in hydrogen peroxide. Hoping for an easier way.
Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
very difficult to confirm the ID due to the blue light. can you take another two pictures with white light instead?

also, do you dose any amino acids or sorts, or coral foods like benepets, reef chili, reef roids, etc? this feeds the hydroids if it is truly what you have.

Kirin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those are colonial hydroids, I have them as well. They only corals I have that they bother are my zoas. Acros, monti, and palys don't care. I've only had luck with manual removal using a sharp pointed set of metal tweezers. I've read that a longspine urchin will eat them, but my tank is too small for one, so I've not tried that.

1234lac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have these.

I can tell you what does NOT work:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Aptasia X
- Scrubbing the live rock

I would love to know how to remove them without nuking my tank or starting over.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience with removal, but this is what I've heard on removing them (keep in mind there a lot of different species of hydroids, and some may respond to one treatment while another may not):
I've heard smothering the hydroids with kalk paste may work, but here are some other threads with suggestions that might be helpful:
Edit: A relevant link in post 7 of the link above:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back