Colored PVC

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to do a build with some colored pvc. I know that BRS has 46" chunks of 1" for $12.99 so right around $0.28 a inch. Then just doing some research to see if I could find it locally I saw that home depot can ship colored PVC to the store.

Formufit 1" Furniture Grade Schedule 40 PVC a 2 pack of 5 feet is $16.79 right around $0.14 a inch, I am pinching pennies for sure but would this PVC work?

They have it in a lot of colors available and if you were going to do a lot of it the saving could add up. Has anyone tried this PVC before?

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to do a build with some colored pvc. I know that BRS has 46" chunks of 1" for $12.99 so right around $0.28 a inch. Then just doing some research to see if I could find it locally I saw that home depot can ship colored PVC to the store.

I would rather support bulk reef supply than Home Depot any day. But if you worried about saving a dollar or two than have it order from Home Depot.
Formufit 1" Furniture Grade Schedule 40 PVC a 2 pack of 5 feet is $16.79 right around $0.14 a inch, I am pinching pennies for sure but would this PVC work?

They have it in a lot of colors available and if you were going to do a lot of it the saving could add up. Has anyone tried this PVC before?

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather support bulk reef supply than Home Depot any day. But if you worried about saving a dollar or two than have it order from Home Depot

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to pay shipping when you have it delivered to home depot. So it comes out to a larger savings. It's the same exact sch 40 pvc

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot is the way to go with smaller QTY's. If you need a ton of it (100ish ft) or you want custom lengths up to 8 feet long, there is absolutely no cheaper place than Formufit Direct.

I think BRS' prices are absurd on PVC and never reccomend them for that, also, there packing practices for shipping on Fittings is HORRIBLE especially if you're ordering white fittings. However they do have one of the most extensive Sch 80 fitting collections out there.

Oh and BTW, you're not pinching pennies. You're being sensible, there are so many things that are so expensive in this hobby, if you can save a little and still get exactly what you want.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has 24" sticks on sale for $2.99 right now. Much better deal than the 46". They were out of stock, but got it in yesterday. Mine is on its way!
Assuming you only need short runs, as per under tank plumbing

If you're looking for shorter runs, it's also worth checking out Formufit Direct. They often have a TON of off cuts as they can't ship anything bigger than 8 ft so the 10ft sections of pipe they get have to be cut. There prices are I think around 40 cents a foot give or take

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have BRS PVC on my setup and it's like any regular PVC but colored, fine quality wise. However it is quite expensive compared to other places!

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather support bulk reef supply than Home Depot any day. But if you worried about saving a dollar or two than have it order from Home Depot

I support them on most things, couldn't tell you home many thousands I spent last year setting up my 225 for my store. I think there is like 8 gate valves on the back of that thing lol. Its not like there a mom and pop store anymore so I don't feel the extreme loyalty to them.

Oh and BTW, you're not pinching pennies. You're being sensible, there are so many things that are so expensive in this hobby, if you can save a little and still get exactly what you want.

I totally am willing to spend the money when need (lighting, pumps, etc.) but on PVC seems like a crazy part to pay a premium on. I own a small retail business and so I get a supporting companies.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy paint and paint it. Way cheaper and you can get what ever color u want. Once paint is dry it won’t leach anything.

5A307740-1F15-48C9-B4B5-25058E599E3D.jpeg 19E41622-7EB0-4CD8-B1D6-EB34881BB2C1.jpeg 7F32A39D-FBF0-498C-A839-B686C2BAE3D1.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back