Home Depot Colored Schedule 40 PVC PIPE?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I'd appreciate a recent opinion:

Is the Home Depot, colored, schedule 40, PVC pipe reef safe/approved? I'd like to use some colored pipe in my planned setup, and this seems to be a much cheaper option than BRS or other online vendors I saw. I can do the "free ship to store" to my local HD, so this is far and away the cheapest price for me personally. Anyone see a problem with using this pipe?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Formufi...ch-40-PVC-Pipe-in-Blue-P034FGP-BL-5/205171568

Thank you for the help!

-FishFan

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I'd appreciate a recent opinion:

Is the Home Depot, colored, schedule 40, PVC pipe reef safe/approved? I'd like to use some colored pipe in my planned setup, and this seems to be a much cheaper option than BRS or other online vendors I saw. I can do the "free ship to store" to my local HD, so this is far and away the cheapest price for me personally. Anyone see a problem with using this pipe?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Formufi...ch-40-PVC-Pipe-in-Blue-P034FGP-BL-5/205171568

Thank you for the help!

-FishFan

If you look under Product Overview on the Home Depot site it says:

"Note: not NSF rated, should not be used for plumbing applications"

So I would assume that the answer is no lol

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered their colored PVC on black before... no issues.

That exact stuff, just the black version?

Thanks!

If you look under Product Overview on the Home Depot site it says:

"Note: not NSF rated, should not be used for plumbing applications"

So I would assume that the answer is no lol
Thank you, I did see that, however I was under the assumption that an aquarium wouldn't have the pressure that a typical plumbing install would have. Maybe I'm wrong?

-FishFan

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! So good to go then? It's cheaper for me than BRS, which is understandable with the cost of shipping lengths of pipe.

-FF

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Formufit on my whole tank. No issues. Have bought from both BRS and HomeDepot.
That exact stuff, just the black version?

Thanks!

Thank you, I did see that, however I was under the assumption that an aquarium wouldn't have the pressure that a typical plumbing install would have. Maybe I'm wrong?

-FishFan
I don't think it's pressure (at least on the straight pipe, fittings might be another story). I think it's money. It's very expensive to get something NSF rated. My guess is there's not a big enough market to justify the cost of getting the rating on each part.

Last edited:

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an honest question because I use white PVC and I'm just curious...

I am pretty careful and clean all my joints but I use primer (which is purple), and then the glue which is grey or clear. No matter how careful I am, the joints plain and simple look like garbage because you can see purple and gray on every joint. Primer runs and stains the pipe and the glue is an ugly gray; but I feel both are required for a proper bond so I use them.

I get the appeal of having all colored pipe but honestly why pay that much for pipe that realistically is not going to look as fantastic as it does in those APEX sump pictures once you apply the primer and glue?

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am pretty careful and clean all my joints but I use primer (which is purple), and then the glue which is grey or clear. No matter how careful I am, the joints plain and simple look like garbage because you can see purple and gray on every joint.

I get the appeal of having all colored pipe but honestly why pay that much for pipe that realistically is not going to look as fantastic as it does in those APEX sump pictures once you apply the primer and glue?
One application is mine - I used black Formufit in my DT because the return is centrally located. White would have been ick in this circumstance.

Maybe some people are not using primer? On my aquarium stuff I never use primer, and no leaks to date.

sabor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am pretty careful and clean all my joints but I use primer (which is purple), and then the glue which is grey or clear. No matter how careful I am, the joints plain and simple look like garbage because you can see purple and gray on every joint. Primer runs and stains the pipe and the glue is an ugly gray; but I feel both are required for a proper bond so I use them.

You can use an all in one clear glue to do the plumbing. Purple is not necessary as it is only for inspectors to see.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Wow, thanks for all the replies! So to be clear, the general consensus is the cheaper stuff from Home Depot IS reef safe and good to use on an aquarium? And as far as the PVC cement and primers, I have also found clear versions in the past, and I certainly am hoping to take my time and try to make the joints as nice as possible. Yeah, I'll admit it, I want the plumbing to look good too. I actually aspire to one of the fancy sump pics you see in the magazines ;-) And to prime or not? Again, this one has been beaten to death on forums for years, and I think it's obvious by the amount of people who do it that primer is NOT required, at least on an aquarium. That said, I *believe* that you'd get a little better joint if you first prime, and for that reason I was going to use primer. If I can find the clear stuff, I don't see how it would hurt anything at all. But strictly speaking I think the primer is optional for aquarium use.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help and feedback!

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Wow, thanks for all the replies! So to be clear, the general consensus is the cheaper stuff from Home Depot IS reef safe and good to use on an aquarium?
I've never read any horror stories about it. And seems like I'm not the only one going primeless.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One application is mine - I used black Formufit in my DT because the return is centrally located. White would have been ick in this circumstance.

Maybe some people are not using primer? On my aquarium stuff I never use primer, and no leaks to date.
I've seen testing that shows primer is not required... I still prime everything regardless...

found it:
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/the-great-pvc-primer-debate.html
You can use an all in one clear glue to do the plumbing. Purple is not necessary as it is only for inspectors to see.

Ya fair enough. I use primer even though its not required and no leaks to date here either. I can definitely agree that the coloured PVC looks fantastic, I just know that after I prime and glue its going to looks like like the regular stuff I use which is half the price lol.

Those all orange and black APEX demo samples look awesome for sure though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably they just didn't bother to get NSF rating because the stuff is intended for furniture. Doesn't mean it cannot be used for plumbing they just cannot claim it.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably they just didn't bother to get NSF rating because the stuff is intended for furniture. Doesn't mean it cannot be used for plumbing they just cannot claim it.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for your reply!

-FF

U

User1

View Badges
Sheesh - I feel bad. Not only do I use primer but I also sand each fitting to rough it up. I treat it just like I'm throwing sprinklers in the yard - go figure.

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can get clear primer and clear glue. If you take your time and apply the glue in an even layer it forms a nice little bead when you seat the pipe into the fitting or you can wipe the excess off while the glue is still wet. Just a friendly tip.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used the clear all in one primer cement from HD. I sanded the pipe and socket of the fitting. No leaks and you can't see any glue or primer.

The key in all PVC joints is to ensure that the material is softened my the glue or primer before inserting pipe into fitting. You are not glueing two pieces together, your are melting the two pieces to fuse into one.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back