Home Depot Colored Schedule 40 PVC PIPE?

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh - I feel bad. Not only do I use primer but I also sand each fitting to rough it up. I treat it just like I'm throwing sprinklers in the yard - go figure.
You should sand/taper the cut end of the pipe, if not it will have a slight flare on the end and act like a squeegee when you push it into the fitting which could result in a faulty joint that will no doubt let loose at the worst possible time.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an honest question because I use white PVC and I'm just curious...

I am pretty careful and clean all my joints but I use primer (which is purple), and then the glue which is grey or clear. No matter how careful I am, the joints plain and simple look like garbage because you can see purple and gray on every joint. Primer runs and stains the pipe and the glue is an ugly gray; but I feel both are required for a proper bond so I use them.

I get the appeal of having all colored pipe but honestly why pay that much for pipe that realistically is not going to look as fantastic as it does in those APEX sump pictures once you apply the primer and glue?
If you are looking for a clean joint, you can mask off the pipes and fittings before primer and glue. Measure the fitting depth and mask off at the same depth on the pipe plus a 1/16" so the tape doesn't get glued into the fitting. Don't use a dry fit depth but instead measure, dry fitting doesn't always get to full insertion. If you are sloppy (like me) paper the whole pipe as well to keep errant fingerprints off. Test any tape you may want to use with he primer and glue on a scrap piece of pipe first.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should sand/taper the cut end of the pipe, if not it will have a slight flare on the end and act like a squeegee when you push it into the fitting which could result in a faulty joint that will no doubt let loose at the worst possible time.
I agree, I think this makes the best possible joint. Nicely said, thanks!

To everyone who replied, thank you so much for the help, suggestions, feedback, etc; it's very much appreciated! I had no idea such a question would evoke such a response.

So guys, just to be 110% - It's looking like no one has had a bad experience with the Home Depot piping, and at this point I'm planning on using it. Before I pull the trigger on it, does anyone have anything negative to report?

Thanks very much to everyone!

-FishFan

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a clean joint, you can mask off the pipes and fittings before primer and glue. Measure the fitting depth and mask off at the same depth on the pipe plus a 1/16" so the tape doesn't get glued into the fitting. Don't use a dry fit depth but instead measure, dry fitting doesn't always get to full insertion. If you are sloppy (like me) paper the whole pipe as well to keep errant fingerprints off. Test any tape you may want to use with he primer and glue on a scrap piece of pipe first.
Thank you for your reply! From experience, I'm fairly certain that if I use the clear primer and/or cement, take my time, and mask off areas I don't want drips on, I can do a fairly decent job. Thanks again for your feedback and help!

EDIT: has anyone seen the BRS video about gluing up PVC pipe? That scene where the guy is priming then gluing the pipe, and all the cement runs out of the pipe and you can even see it even drips all over his hands.... I cringe when I see this, it might be functional, but I know I can do a cleaner/better PVC joint than that :)

-FF

Last edited:

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a tank right now, and bought the pipe from Home Depot and from BRS they look exactly the same, but Home Depot is longer and cheaper... the only reason I bought from BRS was my vanity. Home depot didn't have the color in the size I needed, dry fit of both vendors pipes are tight and both are the same thickness PVC

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a tank right now, and bought the pipe from Home Depot and from BRS they look exactly the same, but Home Depot is longer and cheaper... the only reason I bought from BRS was my vanity. Home depot didn't have the color in the size I needed, dry fit of both vendors pipes are tight and both are the same thickness PVC
Yes! Thank you foe the direct comparison of the two products. So in your estimation, you see no difference in the quality or "reef-safe-ed-ness" of the two products, only the price? Thank you very much, I really appreciate hearing from someone that has experience with both products!

-FishFan

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! From experience, I'm fairly certain that if I use the clear primer and/or cement, take my time, and mask off areas I don't want drips on, I can do a fairly decent job. Thanks again for your feedback and help!

EDIT: has anyone seen the BRS video about gluing up PVC pipe? That scene where the guy is priming then gluing the pipe, and all the cement runs out of the pipe and you can even see it even drips all over his hands.... I cringe when I see this, it might be functional, but I know I can do a cleaner/better PVC joint than that :)

-FF
While I don't get too fussy and use white PVC, I still make an effort to be as neat as possible. A plumber that has to meet code will want to get 100% coverage with the primer AND the glue due to much higher pressures than what we will ever see on an aquarium, hence the extra primer and glue that runs all over the place. It just doesn't matter what it looks like when you are building a house.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to be clear about the cost savings (speaking only of the colored pipe, and only what pricing I can personally get):

The colored PVC pipe from BRS for a 1" diameter is $12.99 for a 46" length, and assuming free shipping that's $0.282 per inch.
From Home Depot, a 1" pipe that measures 60" long is just $7.74, or just $0.129 per inch. A big savings for sure. Unless someone has had some horrible experience with this material, I am going to plan on using it on my next build.

I'll also add that I really like BRS from way back when all they did was literally "Bulk Reef Supply" on eBay, meaning, they were a great source of carbon and GFO, etc. Coming back into the hobby I am amazed to see how far BRS has come, and while I try not to be a "fan boy" I think I am :) Their videos are really well done and informative, and for that reason alone I'd like to give them my business for the PVC pipe, but this is one of those things that I just don't think I can justify paying extra for.

As always, thank you for your help!

-FF

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't get too fussy and use white PVC, I still make an effort to be as neat as possible. A plumber that has to meet code will want to get 100% coverage with the primer AND the glue due to much higher pressures than what we will ever see on an aquarium, hence the extra primer and glue that runs all over the place. It just doesn't matter what it looks like when you are building a house.
^^ Yes, again a nice reply, thanks, ScottBrew! I am sure (from a little experience) that I can make fairly clean PVC joints if I take my time, and that's what I plan on doing. Also, I know there's clear cement and primer, so with a little care and planning I think maybe, just maybe, I can cobble together one of those "magazine quality" sump systems. Thanks again for your help!

-FishFan

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to be clear about the cost savings (speaking only of the colored pipe, and only what pricing I can personally get):

The colored PVC pipe from BRS for a 1" diameter is $12.99 for a 46" length, and assuming free shipping that's $0.282 per inch.
From Home Depot, a 1" pipe that measures 60" long is just $7.74, or just $0.129 per inch. A big savings for sure. Unless someone has had some horrible experience with this material, I am going to plan on using it on my next build.

I'll also add that I really like BRS from way back when all they did was literally "Bulk Reef Supply" on eBay, meaning, they were a great source of carbon and GFO, etc. Coming back into the hobby I am amazed to see how far BRS has come, and while I try not to be a "fan boy" I think I am :) Their videos are really well done and informative, and for that reason alone I'd like to give them my business for the PVC pipe, but this is one of those things that I just don't think I can justify paying extra for.

As always, thank you for your help!

-FF
I'm sure they will be OK with you buying at HD, just keep buying your GFO and carbon from them! Shipping is a killer when you get into long lengths like PVC, they know what their cost is and build it into their price. Some stuff local sourcing just makes more sense.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, and maybe I'm totally misunderstanding, but I am pretty sure that the "schedule" rating on these pipes has something to do with either their thickens or their ability ot handle pressure. Therefore, plumbing approved or not, I think that "schedule 40" is "schedule 40", and even if it's not officially approved for plumbing applications has to be equivalent to "real" schedule 40 pipe. I think other posters have hit the nail-on-the-head when they say suggest that it's probably not worth it for the manufacturer of these pipes to seek certain designations, but I'd be seriously shocked if this pipe was anything else but reef/drinking water safe. Just may thoughts, maybe I'm incorrect.

Thanks again everyone!

-FishFan

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they will be OK with you buying at HD, just keep buying your GFO and carbon from them! Shipping is a killer when you get into long lengths like PVC, they know what their cost is and build it into their price. Some stuff local sourcing just makes more sense.
Of course! And that's actually what I meant. I like their videos, information, and great pricing on other supplies, but in this case I think I have to side with the pipe from HD, and honestly I'm pretty sure the guys at BRS would be just fine with that. They get plenty from me otherwise ;-)

Thanks again for your help!

-FF

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, and maybe I'm totally misunderstanding, but I am pretty sure that the "schedule" rating on these pipes has something to do with either their thickens or their ability ot handle pressure. Therefore, plumbing approved or not, I think that "schedule 40" is "schedule 40", and even if it's not officially approved for plumbing applications has to be equivalent to "real" schedule 40 pipe. I think other posters have hit the nail-on-the-head when they say suggest that it's probably not worth it for the manufacturer of these pipes to seek certain designations, but I'd be seriously shocked if this pipe was anything else but reef/drinking water safe. Just may thoughts, maybe I'm incorrect.

Thanks again everyone!

-FishFan
Colored PVC is considered furniture grade and probably wouldn't ever be needed on a construction site. Check pvcpipesupplies.com or pvcfittingsonline.com for more information than you will ever need in their resource guides. Pipe 40 and 80 dimensions, so on. First one also carries colored fittings as well as pipe if that appeals.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^Thank you again, ScottBrew! I did not yet look at those sites, but I will. I did do quite a bit of searching, and far and away the HD pricing seems to be the best for me personally in my area. I'm not saying BRS or other online vendors like you mentioned have bad pricing, but considered shipping such an oddly shaped item, it's not surprising that my local HD is cheaper. I hold nothing against BRS or anyone else; they can't compete with an HD on this product. That said, if anyone tried the HD stuff and it poisoned their corals or fish, well then I'd love to hear about that, and would gladly spend extra to get "reef-safe" PVC. But I am now more than ever confident that the HD stuff will be fine.

Thanks again everyone!!

-FishFan

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is an honest question because I use white PVC and I'm just curious...

I am pretty careful and clean all my joints but I use primer (which is purple), and then the glue which is grey or clear. No matter how careful I am, the joints plain and simple look like garbage because you can see purple and gray on every joint. Primer runs and stains the pipe and the glue is an ugly gray; but I feel both are required for a proper bond so I use them.

I get the appeal of having all colored pipe but honestly why pay that much for pipe that realistically is not going to look as fantastic as it does in those APEX sump pictures once you apply the primer and glue?
There is clear colored primer, and clear glue.
Leaves no tell tale stain.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is clear colored primer, and clear glue.
Leaves no tell tale stain.

PVC isn't allowed up in Canada for residential or commercial applications so the only time its allowed is for outdoor (sprinkler or pool) applications so the options for glues and primers are pretty limited which is why the majority of us have to buy PVC and then whats available at Home depot which is the purple primer and then the glue.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. But couldn't you order the clear cement? Probably very expensive with the shipping.

-FF

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. But couldn't you order the clear cement? Probably very expensive with the shipping.

-FF

Ya I definitely could but with shipping liquids is just easiest and far cheaper to get whats available at Home Depot down the street. The shipping on the glue and primer would almost be as much as the actual product itself.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I completely understand that. Makes sense for you for sure.

-FF

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
PVC isn't allowed up in Canada for residential or commercial applications so the only time its allowed is for outdoor (sprinkler or pool) applications so the options for glues and primers are pretty limited which is why the majority of us have to buy PVC and then whats available at Home depot which is the purple primer and then the glue.
I have seen many threads where multiple people swear they don't use primer.
The reasoning is that aquarium use is such low pressure, there is no need for primer.
I tend to believe the argument as it makes sense.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back