Come on BRS what the heck?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be mentioned already, but I recently picked up the Hanna CheckTemp and I had to adjust a couple of my inkbird controllers to match the hanna. If I ran both the apex and hanna I would calibrate both probes to the hanna!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use either device but I question the Apex, just because apex says its 77.32457898 doesn't mean its correct.
There are several factors and in different tanks different causes. Probes running by power cables, skimmer, return pumps.
Then there is a huge magnetic field generated each time the heater kicks on (AC) also any cable that is wrapped around another cable you have created a mini transformer and or creating noise on the line, now add a pulsing power head . You are comparing one hobby grade item to another. Isolate and test to a known standard.
Bench testing with a good standard, then seeing a differing result in the field tells me its at the application.
Are the tanks grounded, wife running a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer. That why you bench test and trouble shoot.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double bubble

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was over the course of 24 hrs. I had up to 1.4 within several hours with the BRS.
Again, the controller didn’t control to 0.3 oF as stated. Outside of the control the probe doesn’t stay calibrated.

A 1.4 degree swing would be a 2% error when set to 77.7 degrees.

There are so many factors here, actual amount of water in the system, it's position in the room, how much flow is actually going around the heater, and the list could go on.

BRS stating it controls to .3 degrees does not mean that it will all the time. I'm sure it can perform to that standard under ideal conditions.

Is something happening to the tank that the BRS heater performing like this is causing issues? Or is seeing the "HUGE" swing on the graph causing this discussion.

If you could measure the output of your return pump accurately and it was 5% under what the company has in chart would you return the pump? Or if you could measure flow in the tank from powerheads and it was 10% from what was advertised would you be this upset?

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double bubble
That is correct. But in my application I used multiple items that can test temp and matched them up to create a mode. Based off my number being at most .4 degrees. And these are external temp monitors so now “equipment” or magnetic field to skew the temp reading.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with bench, it’s the best way, I sent mine in but when I have 3/4 probes telling me the same temperature (all different makes) and trend together versus the other that the other is reading incorrectly.
I don’t see any published error rates, the posting states 0.3 oF (total of 0.6), I get 1.4. If I can’t control to 0.3 then don’t include it as a selling point in your video or why it’s better than the Inkbird.

Again in the end I believed the hype BRS was putting down, my bad and my lesson learned.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1.4 degree swing would be a 2% error when set to 77.7 degrees.

There are so many factors here, actual amount of water in the system, it's position in the room, how much flow is actually going around the heater, and the list could go on.

BRS stating it controls to .3 degrees does not mean that it will all the time. I'm sure it can perform to that standard under ideal conditions.

Is something happening to the tank that the BRS heater performing like this is causing issues? Or is seeing the "HUGE" swing on the graph causing this discussion.

I'm going to compare this to buying an SUV that says it gets 25mpg, then complaining that you only got 22mpg
The difference is the apex is performing flawlessly with no hiccups and the BRS controller is falling way outside of it’s .3 degree temperature reading. Your comparison is incorrect because you should know how dentramental temp swings are to a reef tank, and how the number one fail point of a reef is the heater. By taking these problems seriously we are trying to prevent live stock loses. Some corals might now mind higher temp swings compared to others but all corals aren't the same. That is why I am having a problem with this product.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. But in my application I used multiple items that can test temp and matched them up to create a mode. Based off my number being at most .4 degrees. And these are external temp monitors so now “equipment” or magnetic field to skew the temp reading.

Even if you used lab grade equipment to measure the temperature, it still falls within margin of error of our hobby grade equipment.

Just return the heater. You want it to be a .3 degree swing, and it is not going to be that all the time.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you used lab grade equipment to measure the temperature, it still falls within margin of error of our hobby grade equipment.

Just return the heater. You want it to be a .3 degree swing, and it is not going to be that all the time.
I understand that, the problem with the brs heater controller is it has zero consistency. At some times it would kick on at 77.2 others 77.7 and then 77.5 it never found a rhythm.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would not expect a repeatable .3 degree resolution from hobby grade anything. I did buy a industrial grade
temp controller and am happy that its rock solid. I also spent $60 on a traceable thermometer to compare to something close

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that, the problem with the brs heater controller is it has zero consistency. At some times it would kick on at 77.2 others 77.7 and then 77.5 it never found a rhythm.

So it would kick on within a range of less than 1% of The temperature you set it to.... SHOCKING.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference is the apex is performing flawlessly with no hiccups and the BRS controller is falling way outside of it’s .3 degree temperature reading. Your comparison is incorrect because you should know how dentramental temp swings are to a reef tank, and how the number one fail point of a reef is the heater. By taking these problems seriously we are trying to prevent live stock loses. Some corals might now mind higher temp swings compared to others but all corals aren't the same. That is why I am having a problem with this product.
I would have to agree and is one the points BRS themselves state in all of their videos.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same only better ;)
1578671330969.png

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can most likely ask to return it, if it is not performing to your expectations.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can most likely ask to return it, if it is not performing to your expectations.
Similar to @Blitheran I have a long email chain documenting all of this. I waited to post on this subject until I finally heard back on “send it so we can test it” and then reading about others with the same issues I finally chimed in.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll add that I have experienced the same results with the BRS controller struggling to keep a 1° range (verified with NIST thermometer). BRS Probe in the same chamber as Apex, heaters in the next chamber. Previously with Finnex heater controlled by Apex was less that .5° BUT that was with that EB8 outlet cycling easily a 1-2 hundred times a day. So pick your poison I guess. I also bought into the unit from the advertised benefit of tighter range an less wear on apex outlets. The heater is top quality and well worth the money. The controller I feel is worth what I paid although disappointing.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EB8 outlet cycling easily a 1-2 hundred times a day
That's tough for any piece of hardware, why not open the window to .5 or one? Do you think corals are really that susceptible?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back