Come on BRS what the heck?

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for Black Friday I purchased their aquarium heater controller. I figured that having my apex power bar flip on and off 12 times because I like to maintain a .5 degree, will help save my power bar’s life whilst, hoping to minimize the temp swings and be even more controlled. Anyhow, I figured I would leave my old apex programming the same on the apex since I want a .3 degree swing. Before if the temp dipped below 77.5 it kicked the heater back on to 78.0. I set the BRS controller to 77.7 back to 78.0. Long story short... this controller was swinging a whole degree based off my apex. I calibrated it, and even temp matched it to my apex and yet it would get to 77.2 before it kicked on yet the BRS controller said it was 77.7 which was it’s “.3” swing.
A0D70CBB-EA26-447E-83E6-71E42F172CFA.png

Now comparing this to my apex heating
D11ED141-48B8-4E18-9FD4-D5B7D757F194.png

All in all, I was disappointed so I called and told them about it and they said that there have been reports that the controller was “finicky” and not maintaining a proper temperature and that they need me to send it in for a testing. So cool, lets see what they come up with. Two days ago I received an email from them saying the controller is fine and I have a heating element that might be “too big” so I am not left with a faulty device. Not very happy.

BRS email:
“Hey there!
I just wanted to reach out and let you know that we tested the heater controller and it performed flawlessly. We tested it for 2 days and the temp held steady with no drift outside the set range. This issue may be that the element you have is over powered heater that is causing the system to over shoot the set temp. Will be sending the controller back today, let me know if you have any questions!

Take care”

Me:
“Hmm... after sending back the heater controller temp has become more in line. Heating element is not overpowered as I am using a 100w BRS titanium heater, in a red sea reefer 170. As you are saying it properly heated the tank for .3 swing at max without any hiccups? “

BRS:
“That would be correct. Based off your tank size the heater is slightly oversized that would result in the temp swings you might see.”

Me:
“Thomas I am finding that statement inconclusive. The red sea reefer is 34 plus 9 gallon sump which puts the total system volume at 43. Not taking into account that the ato has been turned into a refugium so adding about 1 gallon to system overall. Which would be 44 gallons. If we do some math an take the rock and equipment displacement, lets say 6 ish gallons that would put me at 38 gallons overall. I always round up and say 40. On your website you clearly say that the 100w titanium heater is best up to 40 gallons. I am finding this annoying how you can say that it is over heating when I am following your guidelines! “

7E6D42C6-EEE0-4299-978E-5143533EC58A.png

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’m a bit surprised by their response but then kudos to them for inspecting it. I’m also surprised by how well the Apex can regulate temperature.

Could the temp swing be related to the BRS temp probe not being as responsive or accurate as the one you’re using on the Apex?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting the same run around. How can my Apex control perfectly with the same heater? You see a bunch of post piling up on this issue. In exclusively by from them but thinking twice now.

see below, I’ve posted before but can you tell which is the Apex control ;) similar setting for both.

C0E089F2-30BE-4CD6-B826-8E67A854D77E.jpeg

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’m a bit surprised by their response but then kudos to them for inspecting it. I’m also surprised by how well the Apex can regulate temperature.

Could the temp swing be related to the BRS temp probe not being as responsive or accurate as the one you’re using on the Apex?
Thats my guess. But then again, their “tests” showed it was a proper .3 degree swing.

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to calibrate the heater? Also, I would just use your Apex to control temp, set your heater to 80. Dont trust any heater.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my guess. But then again, their “tests” showed it was a proper .3 degree swing.
I guess what gets me is all the noise BRS made in this controller and how’s it better than sliced bread. But shame on me for not waiting until the bugs are worked out and doing more research.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to calibrate the heater? Also, I would just use your Apex to control temp, set your heater to 80. Dont trust any heater.
I set the BRS controller to the same temperature as my Apex when they were located in the same exact position at the same time. My cheap $7 thermometer tended better than the BRS. Took tons of pictures and sent to BRS.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple items that test temp and they are all relatively the same .3 degree difference between them. So thats how I know I can trust my apex. The brs heater doesnt have a set temp. It requires a controller to turn it off or on.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what gets me is all the noise BRS made in this controller and how’s it better than sliced bread. But shame on me for not waiting until the bugs are worked out and doing more research.
Shame on me as well! Randy made it sound like it was a good working device but it sucks

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to set in Celsius not Fahrenheit? Might mean a few less nanoseconds of calculations on the part of the controller. Since i know of 0 digital devices that internally record in Fahrenheit.

Also how near is the brs probe to any electrical devices? The internals of temp probes are all pretty similar, but the amount of water proofing and electrical shielding vary greatly. Will always be a difference between a probe that cost $30 plus a temp controller with a probe thats $50. Especially since the apex has far more electrical shielding inside its head unit(still not perfect why salinity probes on controllers skew so often.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back