Come on BRS what the heck?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to set in Celsius not Fahrenheit? Might mean a few less nanoseconds of calculations on the part of the controller. Since i know of 0 digital devices that internally record in Fahrenheit.

Also how near is the brs probe to any electrical devices? The internals of temp probes are all pretty similar, but the amount of water proofing and electrical shielding vary greatly. Will always be a difference between a probe that cost $30 plus a temp controller with a probe thats $50. Especially since the apex has far more electrical shielding inside its head unit(still not perfect why salinity probes on controllers skew so often.
Thanks for the advice. Tried all of that. The heater and probe was pretty isolated as I have it in a new build with minimal equipment at this time.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to set in Celsius not Fahrenheit? Might mean a few less nanoseconds of calculations on the part of the controller. Since i know of 0 digital devices that internally record in Fahrenheit.

Also how near is the brs probe to any electrical devices? The internals of temp probes are all pretty similar, but the amount of water proofing and electrical shielding vary greatly. Will always be a difference between a probe that cost $30 plus a temp controller with a probe thats $50. Especially since the apex has far more electrical shielding inside its head unit(still not perfect why salinity probes on controllers skew so often.
My neptune apex probe is 3 inchs from my skimmer and has no problem. Technically the brs probe was about 7 inchs from the nearest “electrical” unit when I did have it in my sump...

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On their Inkbird, does it have Celsius option. I noticed with the Inkbird I have (ITC-306T) that in C there is a 0.1C (.18 F) min. control band, in the Fahrenheit mode, the control band is a full 1.0 F. I use C of course now and minimize the control band.

Edited to correct calculation error - 0.1 C is 0.18 F

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On their Inkbird, does it have Celsius option. I noticed with the Inkbird I have (ITC-306T) that in C there is a 0.1C (.018 F) min. control band, in the Fahrenheit mode, the control band is a full 1.0 F. I use C of course now and minimize the control band.
I personally never tried that, I may have to..

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On their Inkbird, does it have Celsius option. I noticed with the Inkbird I have (ITC-306T) that in C there is a 0.1C (.18 F) min. control band, in the Fahrenheit mode, the control band is a full 1.0 F. I use C of course now and minimize the control band.

Edited to correct calculation error - 0.1 C is 0.18 F
Where did you find these control band numbers for C and F? Thanks for the info!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find these control band numbers for C and F? Thanks for the info!
It was when setting up the controller, the control band directions allow to you set 0.1 C min band in Celsius mode, but only allow you to set a 1F min. band in F mode. So it wasn't really a statement I found anywhere, just limits when configuring the actual installation.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the BRS lets you set 0.3 oF. That was one of the selling points versus the Inkbird.
That's good...I'd heard they'd worked out some improvements. The stock Inkbird C mode is still tighter, but much less so at .3 F.. Also heard improved replaceable sensor.

Now if they can just get my dual temp setting at different times of days feature the Inkbird 306T has. :) Kidding of course, I'm sure that unique use case isn't worth the cost to BRS.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good...I'd heard they'd worked out some improvements. The stock Inkbird C mode is still tighter, but much less so at .3 F.. Also heard improved replaceable sensor.

Now if they can just get my dual temp setting at different times of days feature the Inkbird 306T has. :) Kidding of course, I'm sure that unique use case isn't worth the cost to BRS.
But the BRS controller doesn’t work as such........ I didn’t see any improvements along with some other folks.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my main concern is are you also keeping a glass Mercury thermometer to also track?
No. I had three the thermometers, 1 Apex and 2 cheap digital. Those plus the BRS probe/controller where all set at the same temperature to start and in the same location. The cheap ones and Apex were stable and remained at the same temperature where the BRS starts to drift up to a degree off within hours.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the graph posted it looks like there was at most a swing of 1 degree in temperature. Why are you worrying about this?

After accounting for margin of error in all the devices at work here, I don't see anything wrong. Even if you allot a 1% margin of error for the heater, at 77 degrees, that is still .7 of a degree. Now you need to account for both high and low reading so you could see a temp swing of 1.4 degrees. And I'm going to say that no mass produced heater like these have a margin of error that small.

Seems like you want lab grade equipment out of mass produced product.

I'm going to back BRS on this one and say it is performing exactly as designed, and within all tolerances.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the graph posted it looks like there was at most a swing of 1 degree in temperature. Why are you worrying about this?

After accounting for margin of error in all the devices at work here, I don't see anything wrong. Even if you allot a 1% margin of error for the heater, at 77 degrees, that is still .7 of a degree. Now you need to account for both high and low reading so you could see a temp swing of 1.4 degrees. And I'm going to say that no mass produced heater like these have a margin of error that small.

I'm going to back BRS on this one and say it is performing exactly as designed, and within all tolerances.
My cheaper Jager on my other tank:

EDAFCB7C-0DA6-467D-8E97-EBD323B8AB18.png

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the BRS site what does 0.3 oF control precision imply then?

CC5BAFB4-2C5A-43C3-A844-1B7E4F497465.png

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BRS said it them selves it can swing .3 that is why I purchased it. One of their selling points for the their product was it’s ability to swing to no more than .3, the product is not performing as they say it should.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cheaper Jager on my other tank:

EDAFCB7C-0DA6-467D-8E97-EBD323B8AB18.png

So 78.6 as a high and 77.8 as a low, or a .8 degree swing. So a difference of .2 from the BRS heater, all of which is within any standard margin of error.

What if the difference is within the margin of error for the apex probe? Both heaters could be functioning exactly the same. Or it could even be within the margin of error in what the probe reads and what the display puts out.

Last edited:

soeminpaing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what’s the temp in the display tank? Sump temp can differ and varies a lot since the compartments are small and the probes are placed at different sites. There is less temp swing in the display where we keep our corals and fish.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 78.6 as a high and 77.8 as a low, or a .8 degree swing. So a difference of .2 from the BRS heater, all of which is within any standard margin of error.

What if the difference is within the margin of error for the apex probe? Both heaters could be functioning exactly the same.
That was over the course of 24 hrs. I had up to 1.4 within several hours with the BRS.
Again, the controller didn’t control to 0.3 oF as stated.
Outside of the control the probe doesn’t stay calibrated. I have time lapse pictures of the temperature swinging 0.5 oF in 3 minutes on 200 gallon volume. I can understand it would be hard to control if the probe doesn’t work as designed.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back