Comparing Overflow boxes | Synergy Reef vs Modular Marine

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want removable so I hope someone can confirm that either offers it.

Just can't seem to decide on the vertical vs horizontal slits. Those with EMS, do you have any complaints about livestock making their way in?
Modular marine is removable. Vertical slits on MM. here’s a picture of mine before installation.
F8FE44DB-BAA5-43BB-AD53-925E129ACEE9.jpeg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Another question,

What pipe size you use for the primary siphon and how much actual water do you push through it?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Additionally,

Is there anyone who uses 2 boxes on a single tank?

Any issues?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question,

What pipe size you use for the primary siphon and how much actual water do you push through it?
The bottom drains are 1 inch. The 2 bulkhead fittings are 1.5” that’s plumbed to the tank. The 1600 model comes with this configuration. I run about 1000gph through my primary. I always like to run about 3-5 times through my sump. It’s dead silent also. This is on a 210.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Synergy Reef overflow on my new tank and can 100% say, DO NOT BUY IT! All marketing and doesn't deliver. Loud, hard to adjust, the rear lid allows salt creep...I could go on.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Synergy Reef overflow on my new tank and can 100% say, DO NOT BUY IT! All marketing and doesn't deliver. Loud, hard to adjust, the rear lid allows salt creep...I could go on.

I honestly don’t like the new synergy reef overflow.

The back lid is hard to remove, but to be fair I have to reach around from the side. I don’t have full access to the back of the tank.

The front weir snaps in now as opposed to magnets and is more difficult to pop in and out. The old model it popped in and out like a breeze.

The injection molded rear box is nice, but the diameter is off and scheduled 40 pipe doesn’t fit well which is super annoying, because that is what most people use.

I also don’t like the dark acrylic on the back box. It’s too dark to see inside without a flashlight which makes it difficult to see the water level in there. Sometimes that is important to see.

That’s all I can think off right now, but to be fair it has worked well other than the things mentioned above and it looks great.

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread necro'ed so Ill add.

I ran the synergy reef for a few years and hated it. The injection mold was brittle. The lower outside box made tuning to silent impossible as the water falls into the inside box making noise. IMO there is no conceivable engineering reason why anyone should make or buy an overflow where the boxes don't sit at the same level. The snap in removable weir took way more pressure to remove than I was comfortable applying. For my tank with 5-700gph, 1.5" drains would get clogged with debris at the nearly closed gate valve (reducing the 1.5- either 3/4 or 1" resolved this).

My newest tank has an Exotic Marine overflow, which I like a lot. The horizontal slots are nice because they do not clog, but I do have some nano fish that keep making it into the box. I have seen and talked to a few with modular marine, and they all seem happy with their purchase.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back