OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the first coat of paint done. I'm hoping to get it all installed tomorrow. I'll post some pictures when I get it hung.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 250w MH is a lot of light for a 40br. Given the depth is only 18", I might be concerned about bleaching things.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 250w MH is a lot of light for a 40br. Given the depth is only 18", I might be concerned about bleaching things.

Yeah I was wanting to put 4 t5's instead of just two, but they wouldn't fit in with the Halides. :wink:

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got the T5's wired up and when I plugged them in... nothing. It took another 45 minutes to narrow down the problem. It was a bad end cap. I hate it when one little problem can cause the whole system not to work. Makes troubleshooting a pain.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the shelf hung above the tank.

Here's some pictures.
PIC_0851.jpg

PIC_0850.jpg

I still need to install the halides and I plan on putting an artificial plant of some sort on top.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a total of 26 - 3" Screws holding it up. LOL I don't think it's going anywhere.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Coral.

I'd like to start moving the direction of the thread from the tank build to the eye candy inside the tank. I need to get a better camera for some coral pics.

WRXgucci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done build, i was going to buy a neo-nano or a solana, but i may have to break out the tools for a round two on my setup. my only question is, is your hood hinged? i find myself having to remove my light fixture to get at certain things and it looks like 2-3 inches of clearance.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done build, i was going to buy a neo-nano or a solana, but i may have to break out the tools for a round two on my setup. my only question is, is your hood hinged? i find myself having to remove my light fixture to get at certain things and it looks like 2-3 inches of clearance.

The hood is currently un-hinged, and as of right now it hasn't been an issue. The lid does open so if need be I can get into the tank that way if a coral falls behind a rock or something, and I can also change the bulbs when need be. I wasn't too worried about having to move rock because it's all epoxied together.

Most of the time I just reach into my tank between the top of the tank and the bottom of the hood. I mounted it with the intention of being able to get into it that way. Hopefully I won't have to take it down and install some sort of hinge to it, but you never know what the future will bring.

Thanks for the interest.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of taking down the tank. I'm leaning towards a fresh water tank maybe get some neon tetras and guppies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back