Complete 40 Gallon Breeder Build

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build man, really digging all the cool features and the DIY of course. What's the concept behind the angled sump baffels? Is it just to reduce turbulence as the water flows over top?

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I really like what you've done with the setup.

Thank you.

wooooow nice DIY project look very clean

Thank you too!

Great build man, really digging all the cool features and the DIY of course. What's the concept behind the angled sump baffels? Is it just to reduce turbulence as the water flows over top?

So the reason why I put the baffles at an angle is because when I had my ninety gallon I made a huge mistake, IMO, and placed the baffels vertical. I noticed that by doing this the water shot over the top of the baffels creating alot of noise as it splashed down into the next section of the sump. Since these baffles are at an angle the water runs down them making a light trickle sound. The sump in this new build is silent and the only thing that can be heard is the fan running that I installed in the stand. I honestly didn't think that putting the baffles in at an angle would make such a huge impact on noise... I'm happy it's worked out so far.

Thanks for the post and kind words.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the cycle is finished and I've added a few fish.

Fish so far include:

2 Chromis
Sunset Fairy Wrasse
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Tri-Color Possum Wrasse
2 Pearly Jawfish
Hi-fin Goby
Two Spot Goby
3 Emerald Crabs
Sally Light Foot Crab
and a whole lot of snails

Everything is doing great so far.

I have a friend that was holding all my coral... I'll probably pick it up sometime this week. I'll post pics soon.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a dual 250 watt PFO ballast, and two Advance t5 ballasts. I need to find some individual reflectors and end caps... shouldn't be too hard to find. Then I'll start constructing the light box. I like the open top look so I won't be building a traditional canopy. Instead it will be a suspended shelf above the tank that I'll be able to set plants or decorative whatevers on and the lights will be mounted underneath. Hopefully I can get it done sometime this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great build! and lots of good idea along with it, im in process of building a sump and like the idea behind the angled bafles and may give it a shot!!

and Looks great as well!! keep it up!

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build, you have some great DIY ideas. The ATO is genius as stated. Nice touch to the stand with the tile. I will be using some of your ideas on my 40Br that I'm currently setting up. I may try the angled baffles as well on my sump. Looking forward to seeing your light idea as my tank will be built in as yours is. Great job.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great build! and lots of good idea along with it, im in process of building a sump and like the idea behind the angled bafles and may give it a shot!!

and Looks great as well!! keep it up!

I'm very happy with the way the baffles turned out, and recommend it to anyone that's looking to help elimate sound. Thanks for the compliment.

Awesome build, you have some great DIY ideas. The ATO is genius as stated. Nice touch to the stand with the tile. I will be using some of your ideas on my 40Br that I'm currently setting up. I may try the angled baffles as well on my sump. Looking forward to seeing your light idea as my tank will be built in as yours is. Great job.

Thanks for the compliments. Feel free to ask me any questions if you come across any while putting together your new system. Make sure to start a Build Thread and please take lots-o-pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to take a few pictures of my tank today. The picture quality is terrible, but you get the idea.

FTS
PIC_0794.jpg

PIC_0795.jpg

PIC_0796.jpg

PIC_0797.jpg

PIC_0798.jpg

PIC_0799.jpg

PIC_0800.jpg

This is exactly why I put the rock up on pvc... Jawfish.
PIC_0801.jpg

The 2nd Jawfish' home
PIC_0802.jpg

And the 3rd Jawfish' home
PIC_0803.jpg

You can see the Jawfish in this one
PIC_0810.jpg

Twin Spot Goby
PIC_0804.jpg

Sunset Fairy Wrasse
PIC_0815.jpg

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
PIC_0816.jpg

Again sorry for the picuture quality... Hope you enjoy.

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments. Feel free to ask me any questions if you come across any while putting together your new system. Make sure to start a Build Thread and please take lots-o-pics.

I've been taking many pics I will post a thread this week. I do have a question about what size PVC you used to support your rocks and how much sand did you use. Again nice setup.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been taking many pics I will post a thread this week. I do have a question about what size PVC you used to support your rocks and how much sand did you use. Again nice setup.

I used 3" PVC to support the rock. I'm not too sure how many pounds of sand I used. I'm guessing somewhere around 60-70 lbs, but I could be way off. My sand bed varies from 2 1/4 - 2 3/4 inches across the tank. I'm excited and will be keeping an eye out for your build thread.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a long break with the tank I've finally started on the shelf that the lights will be hung under.

The first frame that I built I mismeasured and built it half an inch shorter than I needed to... frustration.

PIC_0837.jpg

PIC_0838.jpg

I picked up more wood and made sure I measured right for the second shot at it... Here's what I got.

PIC_0836.jpg

PIC_0840.jpg

PIC_0841.jpg

Mounts for the T5's

PIC_0842.jpg

PIC_0843.jpg

Trimmed out
PIC_0844.jpg

PIC_0845.jpg

PIC_0846.jpg

Hopefully I can find some time really soon to finish it and get it hung above the tank.

Feel free to give constructive criticism or ask questions. :neutral:

Last edited:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a slick build! this is how it should be done! I love the idea of the water bucket and I bet that plant loves the condensation put out by the fan, great idea's and I'll be copying them on my next build!

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I brought the shelf inside to spackle and caulk it and decided to just throw it on the tank to see what it's going to look like. Here it is just resting on the existing light fixture, but it will sit at this height above the tank.

PIC_0848.jpg

PIC_0847.jpg

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great up there!

How are you going to attach the fixture to the hood? Are you going to use the same fixture? Will it sit on the fixtures legs or hang?

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great up there!

How are you going to attach the fixture to the hood? Are you going to use the same fixture? Will it sit on the fixtures legs or hang?

I won't end up using the fixture that's on it right now. I'll use a retro fit kit inside the shelf. It'll have two t5 actinics on either end and two 250watt Halides in the center. I'll also install 3 moonlight LED's, one in the center and one on either end of the Halides.

I plan on using three inch screws in studs to hold the shelf into place... hope it holds. It should, it only weighs about 20lbs total.

What do you think? Constructive Criticism is appreciated.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could get some sheetrock anchors if your worried they go threw and open up and grip about a 2-3" diamer on the sheetrock and hold a good amount of weight... but honestly i think it will hold if youdo the mounting board right, at most you could do some light cable ties from the front corner up at an angle back to the wall just as a little extra hold and you would barely be able to see them

Back