Complete mini tank - Pico Reef

LarrySpice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my name is Logan. I have been in this hobby for only about 2 months, so I am on the relatively inexperienced side. So, I know this Pico Reef will be quite challenging, however I think it will be a great opportunity to learn. I have been helping my girlfriend's family with their 55g and we have had decent success, minus a nitrate spike due to inexperience and over feeding. I want the Pico so that I can take it to university later this year, as my residence only allows 4L or less (about 1 gallon).

That's enough about me, now about this Pico tank. I want to run a mini complete tank as a reef tank, however I had some questions I wanted to ask people around here, who are far more knowledgable than myself.

Firstly is more specifically about this tank, I want to know if anyone has experience with the evaporation. I know that the evaporation can be detrimental to a tank of this size, so I want to know how much I should worry with this specific tank. ATO systems for a tank of this size are pretty expensive, so I want to know if it is really necessary. I had also read around that you can put a cover over the tank to control some evaporation, wanted to know how practical it would be with this specific tank.

I would also like to know from any Pico experts out there what kind of corals are successful in these tanks. I know zoas see success, but wanted to know about a few more. I absolutely love different kinds of coral, so I hope to have some form of variety in this tank.

Lastly, I had read about 100% water changes weekly. Is it really healthy and safe to take out all the water in one change? I know you should replace a large quantity of water in this tank to keep it stable, but wanted to hear some input on how this can be achieved safely and successfully.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. Once I have some more info, I will definitely be ordering in some equipment and the tank to start up the cycle. Maybe will start up a build thread at some point.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome :) I am sure there are some pico experts here that can assist you! Good luck

@brandon429 ?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No limit to what you can put in one- in this picture on top of zoas there is acans, purple and rainbow stylo,birdsnest, leptastrea, montipora, anacropora and 4 different types of acropora.
DSC03195.JPG

OP
OP
L

LarrySpice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No limit to what you can put in one- in this picture on top of zoas there is acans, purple and rainbow stylo,birdsnest, leptastrea, montipora, anacropora and 4 different types of acropora.
DSC03195.JPG
Thanks for the tips with corals. This is a beautiful system you have running here. I absolutely love the diversity with all the unique mini colonies you've got in there. How big is this tank and how long have ya had it running?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a IM10, which is really only a 8 gallon tank. It's been up this month a year and a half. It is old school--no protien skimmer and I don't and never have dosed anything . It gets a 2 gallon water change every week(25%) and I feed the corals RedSea AB+ mixed with a little reefroids 3 times a week. The Acans get pieces of LRS nano the same. The 2 yellow tail damsels were in between tanks at the time and have moved on. A six line wrasse is usually the only fish in the tank.

OP
OP
L

LarrySpice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a IM10, which is really only a 8 gallon tank. It's been up this month a year and a half. It is old school--no protien skimmer and I don't and never have dosed anything . It gets a 2 gallon water change every week(25%) and I feed the corals RedSea AB+ mixed with a little reefroids 3 times a week. The Acans get pieces of LRS nano the same. The 2 yellow tail damsels were in between tanks at the time and have moved on. A six line wrasse is usually the only fish in the tank.
That's awesome! Me and my girlfriend also use AB+, seems to do some good work for the corals! Its impressive to have such a successful tank without any skimmer or dosing! Keep up the good work, it really is beautiful

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my name is Logan. I have been in this hobby for only about 2 months, so I am on the relatively inexperienced side. So, I know this Pico Reef will be quite challenging, however I think it will be a great opportunity to learn. I have been helping my girlfriend's family with their 55g and we have had decent success, minus a nitrate spike due to inexperience and over feeding. I want the Pico so that I can take it to university later this year, as my residence only allows 4L or less (about 1 gallon).

That's enough about me, now about this Pico tank. I want to run a mini complete tank as a reef tank, however I had some questions I wanted to ask people around here, who are far more knowledgable than myself.

Firstly is more specifically about this tank, I want to know if anyone has experience with the evaporation. I know that the evaporation can be detrimental to a tank of this size, so I want to know how much I should worry with this specific tank. ATO systems for a tank of this size are pretty expensive, so I want to know if it is really necessary. I had also read around that you can put a cover over the tank to control some evaporation, wanted to know how practical it would be with this specific tank.

I would also like to know from any Pico experts out there what kind of corals are successful in these tanks. I know zoas see success, but wanted to know about a few more. I absolutely love different kinds of coral, so I hope to have some form of variety in this tank.

Lastly, I had read about 100% water changes weekly. Is it really healthy and safe to take out all the water in one change? I know you should replace a large quantity of water in this tank to keep it stable, but wanted to hear some input on how this can be achieved safely and successfully.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. Once I have some more info, I will definitely be ordering in some equipment and the tank to start up the cycle. Maybe will start up a build thread at some point.
It’s always exciting to set up a new tank. Especially a mini tank/pico. I have a 4.1 gallon without ATO. It is definitely possible to do. Having an ATO just makes it more automatic. I get about 3/4 cups evaporation per day. Once you get your tank, make an imaginary fill line in the tank to know where to refill it every night. In some ways, I think it’s better running it without an ATO because it keeps you in tune with your tank. Good luck.

OP
OP
L

LarrySpice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g pico, I only do water changes. Two small blennies and a goby and lots of tiny inverts.

I used KPA live rock because live rock brings so much stability.

pico.jpeg
I love your tank! It looks really fantastic, the way the corals are organized vertically on the rock looks really cool! If you don't mind me asking, what percentage and how often do you water change? I also appreciate the tip on the live rock, will definitely consider that when building. Thanks a ton!

OP
OP
L

LarrySpice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always exciting to set up a new tank. Especially a mini tank/pico. I have a 4.1 gallon without ATO. It is definitely possible to do. Having an ATO just makes it more automatic. I get about 3/4 cups evaporation per day. Once you get your tank, make an imaginary fill line in the tank to know where to refill it every night. In some ways, I think it’s better running it without an ATO because it keeps you in tune with your tank. Good luck.
Hey Daniel, thanks for the advice on ATO! Thinking about it, I agree with manually topping it off, will definitely keep me working and appreciative of the tank. Thanks for your advice! I'll just have to stay on top of it, lol.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank! It looks really fantastic, the way the corals are organized vertically on the rock looks really cool! If you don't mind me asking, what percentage and how often do you water change? I also appreciate the tip on the live rock, will definitely consider that when building. Thanks a ton!

I do 90 percent water change every 1-3 weeks depending how lazy I am. I leave just enough water for the fish to swim in. It’s only like maybe 2.5g of water since the rock displaces a lot.

If a person did 90 percent twice a week the corals would be in love and probably grow right out of the tank. Never any trace element depletion to worry about. It would work amazing on a large tank too but not practical.

Mine has a glass lid so no top offs needed. If you want a cheap ATO system you can buy a water bottle holder like thing on Amazon for cheap. I use it on my freshwater tank. Had to try a few different bottles to get one that fit. Fiji ended up working for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LarrySpice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 90 percent water change every 1-3 weeks depending how lazy I am. I leave just enough water for the fish to swim in. It’s only like maybe 2.5g of water since the rock displaces a lot.

If a person did 90 percent twice a week the corals would be in love and probably grow right out of the tank. Never any trace element depletion to worry about. It would work amazing on a large tank too but not practical.

Mine has a glass lid so no top offs needed. If you want a cheap ATO system you can buy a water bottle holder like thing on Amazon for cheap. I use it on my freshwater tank. Had to try a few different bottles to get one that fit. Fiji ended up working for me.

Thanks for all the great advice! I appreciate it! As of now I have time to spare so I will probably try to water change once or twice a week to keep those corals happy! :)

Thanks for the ATO system, looks interesting. My tank is going to be quite small so that would be very clunky on the back, but if (or when) I upgrade, will definitely keep something like that in mind.

I appreciate all the help, thanks!

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A gallon? Get a betta.

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some really hardy Freshwater can sometimes tolerate water changes like that. Saltwater is a challenge and dang near impossible at ten gallons. Twenty is minimum because water stability is vital. I have tried it, anything smaller than twenty for coral is asking for it. Some inverts can tolerate a ten.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Logan. 4L ? is that correct? What University?
I just bought a 4 L jug of motor oil and I can't imagine putting anything in something that small. Fish are definitely out. Maybe a few pieces of rock-rubble and 1 or two corals, maybe a shrimp and snails?
If you figure this out I'll be well impressed and I hope you try it!!!

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experiments like this, to squeeze a cent, they happen. On frags that are small and unlikely to make it outside a vendor anyways for under 20 bucks to get first time familiar with coral types, hitch hikers, parameters and signs and the resulting f up is money well spent for a valuable lesson learned. If there was any way to keep coral alive longer than delayed shipping time or up to a week, in ten gallons and under marine aquariums would be simple and the ocean would be full of reefs...

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola! I'd like to see you getting this pico going! As far as a fish if you'd be interested freshwater mollie's do well once acclimated to saltwater and they have some wild colors available. Now your going need to figure out a light (I haven't had a pico in a few years now). I know there's alot of bulb options that you could use that just screw into a socket (Double check and make sure you get the right size). As long as you keep up with water changes you can keep just about any type of coral you want. For ease I would suggest zoas, palys, kenya tree, softies, toadstool and even easy sps corals. 4L is certainly quite limited and id recommend you have a lid that totally seals the tank. Most likely just a piece of glass or acrylic. Your also going to need a little flow you could accomplish this with an air bubbler or you could possibly find a super tiny water pump witch I would recommend. I'm trying to keep this post a moderate length but ive been thinking of having a reef in a jar! And a shallow long pico tank that I will make myself!

-Pico bam

Attachments

• 20210505_181125.jpg
    20210505_181125.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20210505-181347_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-181347_Samsung Internet.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
L

LarrySpice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Logan. 4L ? is that correct? What University?
I just bought a 4 L jug of motor oil and I can't imagine putting anything in something that small. Fish are definitely out. Maybe a few pieces of rock-rubble and 1 or two corals, maybe a shrimp and snails?
If you figure this out I'll be well impressed and I hope you try it!!!
University of Guelph! It is in Ontario. Based on the research I've done, in my little pico I plan to avoid fish, at least while I'm learning. Probably start with some cheaper zoas to make sure I can keep something alive then move from there. Would love to keep an acan and maybe even eventually a sexy shrimp or something of the sort. I'll definitely keep this post updated. I just ordered everything today so hoping to start cycling within the next week or two!

OP
OP
L

LarrySpice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola! I'd like to see you getting this pico going! As far as a fish if you'd be interested freshwater mollie's do well once acclimated to saltwater and they have some wild colors available. Now your going need to figure out a light (I haven't had a pico in a few years now). I know there's alot of bulb options that you could use that just screw into a socket (Double check and make sure you get the right size). As long as you keep up with water changes you can keep just about any type of coral you want. For ease I would suggest zoas, palys, kenya tree, softies, toadstool and even easy sps corals. 4L is certainly quite limited and id recommend you have a lid that totally seals the tank. Most likely just a piece of glass or acrylic. Your also going to need a little flow you could accomplish this with an air bubbler or you could possibly find a super tiny water pump witch I would recommend. I'm trying to keep this post a moderate length but ive been thinking of having a reef in a jar! And a shallow long pico tank that I will make myself!

-Pico bam
Thanks for all the advice!! In terms of lighting, I plan to buy an all in one tank that includes a led light that seems to have a solid spectrum. Will most likely run an external outlet timer and use that. I definitely plan on start with a zoa or two to test the waters and see what I can keep alive and healthy. I would love to eventually move into a toadstool and some acans, but will see how well I can sustain the reef first. Thanks for the tip on the lid, I will most definitely try and come up with something that will cover up any openings so I can dodge that evap. Would love to see your pico tank when that's up and running, sounds like you could definitely have some success with your knowledge base. Keep me updated :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really hardy Freshwater can sometimes tolerate water changes like that. Saltwater is a challenge and dang near impossible at ten gallons. Twenty is minimum because water stability is vital. I have tried it, anything smaller than twenty for coral is asking for it. Some inverts can tolerate a ten.

Not sure what you mean by 10 and 20. 100 percent water changes is common on pico reefs. People keep corals and even SPS in 2g bowls this way. Many are several years old. My 5g is 1.5 years and super easy to run.

You can find TOTM reef bowls and small cubes on nano reef pretty easily. Small tanks are really common there.

Picos are super easy to maintain and probably the easiest way to keep coral since you don’t need to dose or test. The 100 percent water change will replenish everything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back