Completely Dead Silent Skimmer Recommendation

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I filled up my system and got it cycling last week, and I was very pleased with how quiet everything was running. Standing next to the tank you could barely hear a thing-- 2 MP40QD and a Swine Jebao. Two days ago I flipped the switch on the Skimmer, Skimz Leopard SL183 with the new QPS pump, and it just ruins the entire atmosphere in the living space. It's not loud, per se, but it's audiable over everything else. Yes it may be ridiculous, but my tolerance for noise is not enough to simply forget about this annoying buzz from the skimmer, and it's driving me insane. I am contemplating programming the APEX to turn off the skimmer in the mornings and evenings when I am at home, but I really don't want to have to do that.

I have a budget of around $600 for a skimmer, but if money were no object, what is the absolute quietest, dead silent skimmer on the market for the 100-200 gallon range?

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYOS no doubt, had the 160 and now have the 120, hands down the best in my 10 years reefing experience. Couple nights was convinced it was off but when opened the stand was on cause placed the apex on all time, no hum, no vibration and performance as its best, plus the service from eco-tech marine, what else we can ask!!!! My 0.02[emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the nyos 160. Just set mine up yesterday. Crazy quiet. I keep opening the doors to make sure it's on lol.

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the nyos 160. Just set mine up yesterday. Crazy quiet. I keep opening the doors to make sure it's on lol.

In comparison to the VorTech's at 50% power, how loud is the ambient noise from the NYOS?

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Box Cloud 9. Bought one last summer for my 180g and I friggin love it. Doesn't make a sound and it's speed controllable.
Thanks for the suggestion! Upon further inspection, it looks like it uses the older Jebao pumps which is the same as the older Skimz pumps. I doubt that the older generation pumps are quieter than the newer generation. How loud is your current setup with everything running?

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard NYOS skimmers are dead silent. Have not used one though.

Jgeebs413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to a simplicity dc controllable believe 240 is the model and it's super quiet. Quiet enough to where I just ordered new mp40wd and looking for dc return pump to match more silence.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to a simplicity dc controllable believe 240 is the model and it's super quiet. Quiet enough to where I just ordered new mp40wd and looking for dc return pump to match more silence.

Yep! I just installed one of these as well. Dead silent. I sit 2-3ft away from it (under the stand) and its is completely silent!

I don't think any AC powered skimmer can be this quiet.

I also love the ability to control the pump speed while dialing it in. The feed button is awesome! Much better than unplugging it from the power strip. I don't use it for feeding, but I do utilize it when removing the cup for cleaning.

6c941cca81fcad64b5ec5be46ec49887.jpg

8ef996ffef7cf6f3ab7536aa5ef7f604.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos 160 here, I don't do noise, mine as about 3 feet from my desk chair, open stand, ... silent! ;)

Jgeebs413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just use it for cleaning. I love the skimmer and how cup attaches.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My deltec is dead silent. Pulls great skimmate as well.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion! Upon further inspection, it looks like it uses the older Jebao pumps which is the same as the older Skimz pumps. I doubt that the older generation pumps are quieter than the newer generation. How loud is your current setup with everything running?

I believe mine uses a Jebao DCT pump and it's pretty much completely silent. The only noise I hear is a slight hum from the air silencer. I have 3 other DCT pumps running as returns and they're all dead silent as well. Supposedly

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TUNZE 9410 DC. Very quiet. Super easy to adjust.

I agree the Tunze is quite, but from my experience, not as silent as what I am looking for.

I've been eye balling the Simplicity line. I have their sump and I am very pleased with the quality. The only concern for me is the Jebao pump-I've heard when outfitted for a skimmer they are notoriously unreliable. Is it really that quiet that you cannot hear it? My decibel meter on my iPhone clocks my Skimz, right next to it, at 60 to 62 decibels. Same location with everything else on but the skimmer off is 48-50 decibels. App is called Decibel 10, the free version, running on and iPhone 7 Plus

My deltec is dead silent. Pulls great skimmate as well.

I've looked into Deltec, but they use the exact same pumps as the Skimz. I'm beggining to wonder if the pump is defective, or if I need to wait until the skimmer fully breaks in to judge its noise output.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back