Sicce Silent, Pro, or SDC

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to buy two pumps:

1. Skimmer pump with 1100 gph minimum for a lifereef svs3-30 skimmer;
2. Return pump for a 75 gallon display tank with 25 gallon sump.

I think I’ve settled on Sicce based on what I’ve read about them being reliable and quiet. Is this accurate? Noise is the most important factor for me.

I’m confused about which Sicce pump line is quietest; the Silent, Pro, or SDC?

I have the apex, so controllability via that is great.

Return Pump Options- would run for 4x-6x turnover, so roughly 400-600 gph- but might go higher?
Silent 3 (714 gph)
Pro 800 gph
(No appropriate SDC option?)

Skimmer Pump Options-
would run at about 1100 gph
Silent 5.o (1321 gph)
Pro 1500 gph
SDC 7.0 (800-1900 gph)

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a snycra silent 3.0, never hear it, not even after not cleaning for entirely too long. also note it is in my living room, so extra noise is not acceptable.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a snycra silent 3.0, never hear it, not even after not cleaning for entirely too long. also note it is in my living room, so extra noise is not acceptable.

Thanks. Oddly, the marketing materials for the “pro” say it is the quietest—which is funny since Sicce has the “silent” line. I am curious if this is in fact true.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s to bad Sicce doesn’t have a sponsor forum here to answer these questions.

jcl123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, next month they are coming out with the new Synchra ADV (Advanced)
http://sicceus.com/sdc_adv.html

I am actually in a very similar situation, I have a Lifereef skimmer and a 135gal with 40g sump, so I was thinking of picking up two of these.

They are AC pumps not DC, not controllable, but much more efficient than any AC pumps I have ever seen.

-JCL

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, next month they are coming out with the new Synchra ADV (Advanced)
http://sicceus.com/sdc_adv.html

I am actually in a very similar situation, I have a Lifereef skimmer and a 135gal with 40g sump, so I was thinking of picking up two of these.

They are AC pumps not DC, not controllable, but much more efficient than any AC pumps I have ever seen.

-JCL

What lifereef skimmer do you have? I’m thinking about getting the svs2-24. My only hesitation is I’ve heard it can be really noisy compared to other skimmers. What has your experience been?

I’m still torn on the whole pump choice.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I’ve settled on Sicce based on what I’ve read about them being reliable and quiet. Is this accurate? Noise is the most important factor for me.

Return Pump Options- would run for 4x-6x turnover, so roughly 400-600 gph- but might go higher?
Silent 3 (714 gph)
Pro 800 gph

Skimmer Pump Options-
Silent 5.o (1321 gph)
Pro 1500 gph
SDC 7.0 (800-1900 gph)
I currently use the Sicce Syncra silent 3.0 and it is dead silent, and works great.

jcl123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lifereef skimmer do you have? I’m thinking about getting the svs2-24. My only hesitation is I’ve heard it can be really noisy compared to other skimmers. What has your experience been?

I’m still torn on the whole pump choice.

Mine is the SVS3-24. I am actually planning to extend it to 36 or 48 maybe, I am going with the Triton method so I want to maximize skimmer efficiency. And for my return pump I need to hit 10x+, so I am up around 1400GPH actual, so I will probably get the largest pump and dial it down or run other things.

Heh, your opening post says the SVS3-30, and I was thinking "dang, this dude is not screwing around on a 70 gal tank".... that is crazy big. Then later above you say 24, must be typo. The only reason to get a 24 is if you want to fit it under a stand. I am going to put mine behind my tank on the floor, and go taller.

I can't attest to how loud it is, because I do not have water in my tank yet, but I would not have bought it if I thought noise would be a problem as mine will also be in the living room. I have not seen any complaints about that, this skimmer has it's own forum section on a few forums. There are multiple YouTube videos with it, and I did not notice them being particularly loud, or even really making any noise at all. The main reason I wanted this skimmer is because I think it will be the lowest maintenance of any of the skimmers I have read up on.

The pump I have is the BlueLine 40HDX, the one recommended for the larger models. Good pump, mine is still brand new. I have not decided if I will keep it, or sell it. I am only really interested in the new Sicce because it should produce less heat, less noise, and use less power. I will also get one slightly larger so that I could run other reactors maybe as well, such as the 2500GPH model.

Looking at your pump selections, you may want to go a size larger. The pumps are rated starting at 0' head, so literally if you had no pipe on it how much would it pump. There are various calculators around to estimate head pressure based on piping and fittings you have. But if you want a rule of thumb, say you want 600GPH I would probably go with a pump rated at least 900GPH. This is assuming you are just going from a sump below the tank in your stand (not the basement or something).

If you go with a DC pump, you may have to go even higher than that, because you won't get as much pressure as you will with an AC pump. But they might be a good fit if it is only a return pump and nothing else (no back pressure). I am staying away from the DC pumps, I am reading about far too many problems with them. They probably need a little more track time before they are ready. Unless you want to drop allot of cash on an Abyzz, nice pump though.

I think going with a Sicce AC pump, for what you say you want, is a good choice even just going with the existing models. I would say Sicce, Eheim, Danner, and Iwaki (not in any order) are the best.... basically all the companies that have been making them for decades.

I too am getting an Apex, it is actually in route as I write this from black Friday ;-) I personally don't care about controlling the main pump, although I will monitor it's power usage, and I got the flow meters to measure it's flow rate. For control I am going with some Tunze powerheads in the tank.

-JCL

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the SVS3-24. I am actually planning to extend it to 36 or 48 maybe, I am going with the Triton method so I want to maximize skimmer efficiency. And for my return pump I need to hit 10x+, so I am up around 1400GPH actual, so I will probably get the largest pump and dial it down or run other things.

Heh, your opening post says the SVS3-30, and I was thinking "dang, this dude is not screwing around on a 70 gal tank".... that is crazy big. Then later above you say 24, must be typo. The only reason to get a 24 is if you want to fit it under a stand. I am going to put mine behind my tank on the floor, and go taller.

I can't attest to how loud it is, because I do not have water in my tank yet, but I would not have bought it if I thought noise would be a problem as mine will also be in the living room. I have not seen any complaints about that, this skimmer has it's own forum section on a few forums. There are multiple YouTube videos with it, and I did not notice them being particularly loud, or even really making any noise at all. The main reason I wanted this skimmer is because I think it will be the lowest maintenance of any of the skimmers I have read up on.

The pump I have is the BlueLine 40HDX, the one recommended for the larger models. Good pump, mine is still brand new. I have not decided if I will keep it, or sell it. I am only really interested in the new Sicce because it should produce less heat, less noise, and use less power. I will also get one slightly larger so that I could run other reactors maybe as well, such as the 2500GPH model.

Looking at your pump selections, you may want to go a size larger. The pumps are rated starting at 0' head, so literally if you had no pipe on it how much would it pump. There are various calculators around to estimate head pressure based on piping and fittings you have. But if you want a rule of thumb, say you want 600GPH I would probably go with a pump rated at least 900GPH. This is assuming you are just going from a sump below the tank in your stand (not the basement or something).

If you go with a DC pump, you may have to go even higher than that, because you won't get as much pressure as you will with an AC pump. But they might be a good fit if it is only a return pump and nothing else (no back pressure). I am staying away from the DC pumps, I am reading about far too many problems with them. They probably need a little more track time before they are ready. Unless you want to drop allot of cash on an Abyzz, nice pump though.

I think going with a Sicce AC pump, for what you say you want, is a good choice even just going with the existing models. I would say Sicce, Eheim, Danner, and Iwaki (not in any order) are the best.... basically all the companies that have been making them for decades.

I too am getting an Apex, it is actually in route as I write this from black Friday ;-) I personally don't care about controlling the main pump, although I will monitor it's power usage, and I got the flow meters to measure it's flow rate. For control I am going with some Tunze powerheads in the tank.

-JCL

Thanks for the reply. I actually was planning on getting the svs3-30. I thought I had 33 inches of clearance under my tank, but I actually only have 29 inches—therefore it’s the 24 inch for me. The tank is going on my office so I can’t have equipment outside of the stand.

I hear what your saying about the pumps. I have an email in to Jeff asking what he thinks about the Sicce Pro 800 for the svs2-24. If he says size up to the 1000 I will. Given though that he suggests 600gph on the lifereef site, I’m thinking the 800 will be just fine.

My big debate right now is the return pump. I was leaning towards using the 1500 and throttling it back 2/3rds Not sure though. I think I want to shoot for a 5-6x turnover. Might still be overkill.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really appreciate the fact that my Sicce 3.0 is near dead silent on my 50 gallon tank, but IMO after headloss, it might not be enough for your 75.
First thing I saw in your original post was the need for a quiet pump.
I am the same way and one other brand of pump you might look at is the Reef Octopus VarioS- 4.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a return pump for a 75 gallon tank... Fluval SP2

For your 24” Lifereef... Fluval SP4

Both are extremely quiet and well built with Askoll motor blocks.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own both a 3.5 and a 5.0. I too thought they were "silent" until I swapped the 5.0 out for a Vectra M1 and then eventually an L1. The Vectra units are considerably quieter.... not even a contest. I'm sure there are plenty of other DC pumps that are just as quiet as the Vectra. Reports say the new Neptune COR coming out soon is even quieter than the Vectra... side-by-side testing done by beta testers.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own both a 3.5 and a 5.0. I too thought they were "silent" until I swapped the 5.0 out for a Vectra M1 and then eventually an L1. The Vectra units are considerably quieter.... not even a contest. I'm sure there are plenty of other DC pumps that are just as quiet as the Vectra. Reports say the new Neptune COR coming out soon is even quieter than the Vectra... side-by-side testing done by beta testers.

Thanks! I'll have to keep my eye out for the COR.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah, I was shocked to find out my Eheim wasn't as silent as I thought, after I added a Vectra L1 as my closed loop pump which sat beside the Eheim.
I switched out the Eheim a week later with a M1 Vectra.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Silent 3 (714 gph)
Pro 800 gph

Skimmer Pump Options-
Silent 5.o (1321 gph)
Pro 1500 gph
SDC 7.0 (800-1900 gph)

If noise and Apex compatibility are priorities, I would suggest the Reef Octopus VarioS return pumps. They're well made, DC pumps, which are much quieter than AC pumps. The pump also comes with every attachment you'd need, and because it's DC, the speed control is adjustable. Once you go DC, you never go back, lol.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I actually was planning on getting the svs3-30. I thought I had 33 inches of clearance under my tank, but I actually only have 29 inches—therefore it’s the 24 inch for me. The tank is going on my office so I can’t have equipment outside of the stand.

I hear what your saying about the pumps. I have an email in to Jeff asking what he thinks about the Sicce Pro 800 for the svs2-24. If he says size up to the 1000 I will. Given though that he suggests 600gph on the lifereef site, I’m thinking the 800 will be just fine.

My big debate right now is the return pump. I was leaning towards using the 1500 and throttling it back 2/3rds Not sure though. I think I want to shoot for a 5-6x turnover. Might still be overkill.

Throttling a pump puts stress on the pump. Many do it, but it reduces the life of the pump. Throttling it 2/3's is completely unnecessary. Either go with a smaller pump or get an adjustable DC pump.

I'm telling you, a DC pump is a huge improvement over an AC return pump. Especially if you need to adjust flow. Being the Reef Octopus VarioS pumps work with the Apex, that's another benefit over an AC pump. You can slow it down, speed it up, use feed or maintenance modes all through the Apex or the pumps own controller. Dead silent as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back