Completely Dead Silent Skimmer Recommendation

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also owned both the Nyos 120 and 160... they are indeed silent. There are plenty of skimmers out there that are very quiet and you will have plenty of users telling you so. But until a person experiences a Nyos, they don't know what a silent skimmer actually sounds like. I use to think my old Vertex was pretty quiet... along with my Sicce Syncra Silent pump. Then I got the Nyos and the Ecotech Vectra pump... now I know what REALLY quiet sounds like. There are a couple of other skimmers out there that are silent and I trust the users that are telling me so, but I don't recall what brand/model they were.

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also owned both the Nyos 120 and 160... they are indeed silent. There are plenty of skimmers out there that are very quiet and you will have plenty of users telling you so. But until a person experiences a Nyos, they don't know what a silent skimmer actually sounds like. I use to think my old Vertex was pretty quiet... along with my Sicce Syncra Silent pump. Then I got the Nyos and the Ecotech Vectra pump... now I know what REALLY quiet sounds like. There are a couple of other skimmers out there that are silent and I trust the users that are telling me so, but I don't recall what brand/model they were.

Thanks for chiming in! It seems every skimmer has a praise from one person or another about how quiet it is, but it's nearly impossible to have a comparable key to compare as tolerances vary greatly. Nyos seems to have the most praise and I am seriously considering them at this time.

Would a NYOS 220 be overkill for a Reefer 450? Running BioPellets.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for chiming in! It seems every skimmer has a praise from one person or another about how quiet it is, but it's nearly impossible to have a comparable key to compare as tolerances vary greatly. Nyos seems to have the most praise and I am seriously considering them at this time.

Would a NYOS 220 be overkill for a Reefer 450? Running BioPellets.

Yes, overkill. I have a Reefer 450 and actually use to run the 120 on it... did great! I got a good deal on a 160, so I jumped on it. The 160 is a great size for the Reefer 450, regardless of bio pellets or not.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the Tunze is quite, but from my experience, not as silent as what I am looking for.

I've been eye balling the Simplicity line. I have their sump and I am very pleased with the quality. The only concern for me is the Jebao pump-I've heard when outfitted for a skimmer they are notoriously unreliable. Is it really that quiet that you cannot hear it? My decibel meter on my iPhone clocks my Skimz, right next to it, at 60 to 62 decibels. Same location with everything else on but the skimmer off is 48-50 decibels. App is called Decibel 10, the free version, running on and iPhone 7 Plus

I've looked into Deltec, but they use the exact same pumps as the Skimz. I'm beggining to wonder if the pump is defective, or if I need to wait until the skimmer fully breaks in to judge its noise output.

Downloaded the app on my iPhone 7s. 52db with the skimmer off 57db with it on.

Only 5db difference. Simplicity is quieter than your Skymz :)

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downloaded the app on my iPhone 7s. 52db with the skimmer off 57db with it on.

Only 5db difference. Simplicity is quieter than your Skymz :)

You got the 7S hu, that's unfair! Thanks for actually taking the time to download the app and check. 5db is an easily audible difference, and I am genuinely surprised at your readings. Is the sound from the simplicity a high pitched whine or a low tremble? Mine is high pitched and particularly annoying, very surprising since the folks over at BulkReefSupply praise the Skimz line for being one of the quietest skimmers available—I find that a far stretch now having went through three models and four pumps.

Yes, overkill. I have a Reefer 450 and actually use to run the 120 on it... did great! I got a good deal on a 160, so I jumped on it. The 160 is a great size for the Reefer 450, regardless of bio pellets or not.

Hmmm, there is a used Nyos 160 for $350 in the local classifieds. I might go and check it out. Anything particular on the skimmer that I should pay attention too?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got one sample – I'll take more later if I can.

But on a quick test just now with "Decibel 10" on my iPhone 6 and I only saw about 1 dB of difference with the skimmer off.

Tunze 9410....no post-filter.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll use that app to get a decibel reading tonight (it's 9am on my side of the world now). Last I checked, my entire sump with the return and skimmer running and the return line making noise, was only 53 decibels with the cabinet door open and my iPhone 6 within 15cm of the skimmer.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just measured mine with my shop RTA/SPL meter... about a $2500 unit. With everything running and at 4 feet away(which is where my viewing chairs are), my setup averages 47.2 dB. With the Nyos skimmer off, it averages 45.7 dB. With the entire system off, it averages 42.3 dB. This corresponds with what my ears are saying. Because it takes a 1 decibel increase/decrease for the human ear to even decipher that there's a difference. Anything less than that, the human ear may detect that something is different... like a "coloration" to the sound, but can't actually tell that there is a difference in sound level. My setup is 1.5 decibel quieter with the skimmer off.... and I can barely tell any change from 4 feet away. If I'm 8 feet away, I cannot tell the difference at all. I hope this helps!

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! People are really pitching all in—completely unexpected, thanks guys! I think it would be awesome if everyone posted a reading and we can all compile them into some sort of list for any future buyers.

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal exclusive quiet is what u pay for in the pump

Thanks for sharing the video! Although I had that skimmer on my list, the budget decided to scream and pull me back to reality.

I just measured mine with my shop RTA/SPL meter... about a $2500 unit. With everything running and at 4 feet away(which is where my viewing chairs are), my setup averages 47.2 dB. With the Nyos skimmer off, it averages 45.7 dB. With the entire system off, it averages 42.3 dB. This corresponds with what my ears are saying. Because it takes a 1 decibel increase/decrease for the human ear to even decipher that there's a difference. Anything less than that, the human ear may detect that something is different... like a "coloration" to the sound, but can't actually tell that there is a difference in sound level. My setup is 1.5 decibel quieter with the skimmer off.... and I can barely tell any change from 4 feet away. If I'm 8 feet away, I cannot tell the difference at all. I hope this helps!

Awesome! Just the info that I needed. Thanks a million for actually taking the time and measuring your sound differences. With all the info floating around, I think i'll get the Nyos 160 when I sell my SL183. Sad to see the Skimz go as it's beautifully build and has an amazing contact time for it's size. I think EcoTech should funnel over some commission to help pay for those edge lit windows of yours. ;)

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! People are really pitching all in—completely unexpected, thanks guys! I think it would be awesome if everyone posted a reading and we can all compile them into some sort of list for any future buyers.

As someone who deals with sound for a living, readings from one person to the next would unfortunately be worthless. Each skimmer would need to be tested in the same exact, controlled environment to get a solid comparison. Sounds like something @Ryanbrs could maybe tackle!:)

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who deals with sound for a living, readings from one person to the next would unfortunately be worthless. Each skimmer would need to be tested in the same exact, controlled environment to get a solid comparison. Sounds like something @Ryanbrs could maybe tackle!:)

Yes, when I mentioned everyone I meant manufactures or retailers posting dB readings much like Watt Consumption or Air Intake—thanks for the clarification!

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed! Would be very valuable to anyone shopping for a skimmer. Noise is a huge factor. Especially when most of us have our tanks in our living rooms and enjoy showing them off to family and friends. None of us would enjoy making excuses as to why the tank is so loud.

OP
OP
AquaART

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Would be very valuable to anyone shopping for a skimmer. Noise is a huge factor. Especially when most of us have our tanks in our living rooms and enjoy showing them off to family and friends. None of us would enjoy making excuses as to why the tank is so loud.

THANK YOU!!! Sound and the ambiance around it is such an important factor to consider when bringing anything into your primary living space. I never understood why manufactures, outside of EcoTech, never used sound as one of their main R&D goals.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast Marine. You get to build it yourself which is a great learning experience and the Sicce pump is easily found everywhere. No need for a special pump that is hard to find.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back