Completely Dead Silent Skimmer Recommendation

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SCA 301 has been the most pleasant surprise $95 purchase, pulls great skim and dead silent.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dangros what have you tried to quiet the Vertex so far?
great question. Not much. I'm going to take it out and clean now. Having said that, it's not been silent since day one so it still wont suffice.

@gacolt, @Shores805 as for the bubble kings, OUCH those are expensive!! As much as I would love it, I cant justify 1500 on a skimmer. My tank is only a mixed reef 90g with a 40g sump. My Omega 150 barely keeps up but it seems a Bubble King would be a bit excessive.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
images(2).jpg

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll you were right. I didn’t realize it but the silencer has a sponge inside of it. The sponge was wet and a bit dirty. I cleaned everything and ran the pump in vinegar. That made a huge difference! However The skimmer is still adding an extra 3 or so decibels to the tank noise. Still, 3dbs are better than 8!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like how quiet is quiet? I just started up my eshopps premier s-200 skimmer and the only thing I hear is the air intake. Kind of like a faint white noise. I can hear it with the cabinet door closed. I wouldn’t call it loud but I hear it. My cor20 pump is also audible. (Not from vibrations). Don’t have anything to compare it too but you folks are throwing around dead silent and what not. Soooo does dead quiet actual have noise ?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doors closed about 6’ away the sound is ~43 db and about 55 1’ Away with doors open.

My first real skimmer. Is this normal sound?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Vertex Alpha 250 with a Red Dragon pump.

In the past I had a Red Dragon Supermarine.

Both pumps and skimmers were considerably well made and I would buy them again anyways of the week.

Absolutely dead silent.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral box 300+ DC skimmer is absolutely dead silent, take the lid off skimmer cup and you hear fizzing but that’s it.. amazing skimmer in the first 48 hrs it pulled 1/2 cup of the nastiest smelling skim I had ever seen, I was dry heaving trying to dump it down the toilet.. lol and I have probably dumped a swimming pools worth of skimate in my day so that’s saying something.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back