Conch has capes of algae

  • Thread starter Thread starter 91yjeeper
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2020
Messages
56
Reaction score
27
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I let it be, or scrape it off? How should I remove it?

1009201804.jpg
 
You can let it be, that looks like Ulva (a good macroalgae!). It will either grow and pieces of it will detach, or it will slowly die off. If you get any algae eating fish like tangs or blennies, they'll probably munch it off too.

If you want to remove it, but to just cut it super far back, or carefully (don't hurt the conch!) scrub it off with something like a toothbrush. Best not to use a razor blade...
 
You can let it be, that looks like Ulva (a good macroalgae!). It will either grow and pieces of it will detach, or it will slowly die off. If you get any algae eating fish like tangs or blennies, they'll probably munch it off too.

If you want to remove it, but to just cut it super far back, or carefully (don't hurt the conch!) scrub it off with something like a toothbrush. Best not to use a razor blade...
Thanks! I had more of this growing in my tank and scraped it out. Wish I had left it now that I know it was good macro algae. lol.
 
Be careful dealing with your conch. Conches have a spike/scythe near their foot and if you handle them you may get a nasty surprise.

Exactly! I've noticed that spikey foot and don't want to get jabbed.
 
My Trochus snails grow algae on their backs too. The hermits hitch a ride and snack on it from time to time. Like this morning... watching the tank from my desk and a Trochus is going horizontally across the glass with a hermit standing on top of it. Next time I'll get a video, it's pretty funny to watch.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new