Condensing/Cleaning Phyto

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those growing their own phyto and feeding it copepod and rotifer cultures, are you condensing or rinsing your phyto to remove left over nutrients?
If so, what are your methods?
If not, what is your rationale for not worrying about it?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you time the growth properly, you can harvest a day after they enter stationary phase. The nutrients will be at their lowest point, since they've been mostly utilised.

I caveat that by saying most hobbyists dont have the patience or bandwidth to measure density eberyday- i used to do mammalian cell culture at work so if i dont have a day counting cells, i feel weird

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some phyto types will settle under refrigeration.
But most people rely on timing, as Neil said.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted due to erroneous info- shouldnt post while kids are getting ready for baths

Last edited:

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just looking to feed to rotifers and copepods and not looking for other benefits the Reef Nutrition TDO might be a better choice if you are in the US. The smallest version they have is small enough for rots according to their facebook live the other day.

Personally I have a very low tech method for phyto. I get it really dark green. Certain shade. When it hits that shade I harvest it into bottles and fridge them. Sometime I end up throwing some away if I have to much. I do n't do any rinsing at all before feeding to food cultures.

JME

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just looking to feed to rotifers and copepods and not looking for other benefits the Reef Nutrition TDO might be a better choice if you are in the US. The smallest version they have is small enough for rots according to their facebook live the other day.

Personally I have a very low tech method for phyto. I get it really dark green. Certain shade. When it hits that shade I harvest it into bottles and fridge them. Sometime I end up throwing some away if I have to much. I do n't do any rinsing at all before feeding to food cultures.

JME
How long do you culture it before it hits the right shade, and what is your split ratio? And what is your culture volume?

Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back