Condy small during day, but large at night

reefmaster70

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2025
Messages
990
Reaction score
473
Location
SW Wisconsin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok, just when I thought I had anemones figured out, I go and get a condy (Haiti anemone) in my tank. I thought it would act just like my BTA but it doesn't. My BTA gets large during daylight and shrinks down tiny at night into the safety of its rock. However my Condy stays small during the day ,in fact almost buries itself under a rock down on the sand bed, but at lights out, he comes out Huge. Is this normal? Why do they act so different? Here are a couple pics one of him during the day and the next after lights go out.

1000004791.jpg

1000004803.jpg
 
Last edited:
Condylactis do not need the same intense lighting as BTA in my experience. I have kept them under compact florescent. Any time an anemone seeks refuge from light it's typically over illuminated.
 
Condylactis do not need the same intense lighting as BTA in my experience. I have kept them under compact florescent. Any time an anemone seeks refuge from light it's typically over illuminated.
that must be why. My BTA is about halfway up in the tank and comes out HUGE when the lights are on, but really shrinks up to nothing at night. My Condy is totally different, it is at the bottom of the tank, and will retract quite a ways under a rock in the sand with just a few tentacles sticking out during the day, but when my sunset lighting kicks in and moonlight he starts to inflate fully, and is out and very large in total darkness.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new