Confused by Purple Tree Coral - Dying, Sweepers, oh my?

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I purchased what was called a "Purple Tree Coral Fiji" from LA's Diver's Den earlier this month and while it looked good the first few days, it quickly went downhill, drooping over, and just overall appearing to be unhappy. We've tried moving to a few different locations to alter light/flow but haven't had any success getting it to come back. We're adding a new acro tomorrow and I was planning on pulling it out as a loss but when we were looking at the tank tonight it has 2 very long "tentacles" coming out of it - probably at least 10 inches in length - which were waving in the current and very clearly attached to the coral. Even odder, when I shine a flash light on them, they retract, not fully but maybe from 10 inches down to 2-3, after a while without light they extend back out. I'm not sure if these are sweepers or something else and, assuming they are sweepers, should I keep this in my tank? o_O

I have been unable to get a good picture of the tentacles but have enclosed a pic of the coral in it's current state as well as a very poor drawing of what the tentacles look like to give you an idea - they are almost like halves of a feather.

IMG_1769.jpg

image.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back